Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zenfone 6 - 855 cpu, 5000mah battery, $499

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

...and just ordered mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

god's toy wrote: »
    ...and just ordered mine.

Where'd you order it boss? :)

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Where'd you order it boss? :)

at Alsa.co.uk

https://www.alza.co.uk/search.htm?exps=zenfone%206

Says they are shipping 20th June where amazon.de say 10th (but a dearer 128gb model) , will keep an eye on both.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

god's toy wrote: »
    at Alsa.co.uk

https://www.alza.co.uk/search.htm?exps=zenfone%206

Says they are shipping 20th June where amazon.de say 10th (but a dearer 128gb model) , will keep an eye on both.

Nice! Best of luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭opus

How are you finding the phone? I was kind of tempted to get one in Germany as will be there later on this month but seems impossible to order.

Even that link you sent just has options to reserve the phone.

• Advertisement

opus wrote: »
    How are you finding the phone? I was kind of tempted to get one in Germany as will be there later on this month but seems impossible to order.

Even that link you sent just has options to reserve the phone.

I'm still waiting!!!

Turns out Asus completely botched up the ordering process for everyone by making too few units...I mean Who would have guessed that by giving people what they really wanted (Stock Android software with no blot/crapware + class hardware + Headphone jack at a decent price) it would be very popular? In short, you can't get this phone for love nor money. unless you get the resellers looking for mad money or grey import that won't have any warranty.

Have the phone on order with a few places for almost 3 months now but they all keep pushing the dates back... It was late May when people starting saying they won't be able to supply enough, on the 10th of June I heard a rumour (from an Asus worker) it could be late September by the time they have enough units from the production lines. Turns out it was true. GRRRR... all the European storefronts only deliver to the country they belong in and as Brexit is still a thing the UK stores have no hope of getting stock (Asus UK won't let you even preorder it last I looked there!)

Still, I'm holding out hope it's here soon...

not sure this is worth the hassle of poor availability

mi 9t a decent option imo

48mp main, 13mp wide, 8mp zoom
    snapdragon 730 as good as the 845
    amoled
    in-screen fingerprint
    no notch
    4000mah battery
    nice-looking premium build

308 or so on eglobal for 128gb

glasso wrote: »
    not sure this is worth the hassle of poor availability

mi 9t a decent option imo

48mp main, 13mp wide, 8mp zoom
    snapdragon 730 as good as the 845
    AMOLED
    in-screen fingerprint
    no notch
    4000mah battery
    nice-looking premium build

308 or so on eglobal for 128gb

Sure its a fantastic phone for sure but, Nope (not for me) CPU is slower and it has an AMOLED screen and smaller battery... is a no-no. I know its the coming tide regarding screens right now but if there is still an LCD option out here that tics all of my boxes then I'll get it over AMOLED.

Looks like it's orderable on the German ASUS site at the moment but delivery after Aug 16th is too late for me. Will be there again later in the year so maybe then.

opus wrote: »
    Looks like it's orderable on the German ASUS site at the moment but delivery after Aug 16th is too late for me. Will be there again later in the year so maybe then.

Yep some of the stores had stock around Europe over the last few weeks but none would ship to Ireland, they would tell you to use the UK store but they never had stock any to start with. Grrr. I think the silver-backed version is starting to move, I'm holding out for the black myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 DashcamDik

Very tempted to go for one of these. I came across them on Gearbest but bit nervous to buy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

DashcamDik wrote: »
    Very tempted to go for one of these. I came across them on Gearbest but bit nervous to buy there.

Don't if it ships from outside the EU otherwise you'll be hit with customs charges.

Just bagged a black 256/8GB on eglobal for 609 that's 11 euro less than the Amazon.de one (128/6)

Says it's in stock and lists band 20 as being on the phone. Amazon one still saying end of the month at least.

I've used global (and recommended) before and never/no one I know had import issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭gazzer

Just received my Zenfone 6 from Gear Best. Cant wait to get started using it. Only thing is that I cant connect to the Internet through my data. I can make calls and the sim is recognised on the phone (with eir being my provider) but it just wont connect to the net. I have tried a number of options in the settings. Anybody any idea what it could be?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,409 ✭✭✭droidman123

gazzer wrote: »
    Just received my Zenfone 6 from Gear Best. Cant wait to get started using it. Only thing is that I cant connect to the Internet through my data. I can make calls and the sim is recognised on the phone (with eir being my provider) but it just wont connect to the net. I have tried a number of options in the settings. Anybody any idea what it could be?

Make sure you have the correct apn settings

When I go into the APN settings there is nothing there. I get a message (when I click on the APN menu) that "Access Point Name settings are not available for this user". There was a plus symbol at the top of the screen so I clicked that and it brought me into a Edit access point option. I manually entered the APN settings for EIR (got them from Google) but anytime I save the info they just vanish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,409 ✭✭✭droidman123

When I go into the APN settings there is nothing there. I get a message (when I click on the APN menu) that "Access Point Name settings are not available for this user". There was a plus symbol at the top of the screen so I clicked that and it brought me into a Edit access point option. I manually entered the APN settings for EIR (got them from Google) but anytime I save the info they just vanish.

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Help-Support/APN-disappears-when-saving-settings/td-p/20292474

I dont know if this is any good to you,i only gave it a quick glance,but there seems to be a solution near the bottom of the thread

http://www.droidforums.net/threads/apn-will-not-save.115593/
    Another one maybe worth looking at

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Help-Support/APN-disappears-when-saving-settings/td-p/20292474

I dont know if this is any good to you,i only gave it a quick glance,but there seems to be a solution near the bottom of the thread

http://www.droidforums.net/threads/apn-will-not-save.115593/
    Another one maybe worth looking at

Thanks for that link. I will check it out and see if I can get any info from it. I suppose I could just pop into an Eir store on the way home from work.

did you get hit for customs - if not what postage method did you use?

did you get hit for customs - if not what postage method did you use?

No. I didnt get hit with any customs charges. I used the EU express option. Only cost 3.41.

• Advertisement

No. I didnt get hit with any customs charges. I used the EU express option. Only cost 3.41.

the options are priority line or expedited shipping - was it the priority line one and roughly how long did delivery take?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Brasso

the options are priority line or expedited shipping - was it the priority line one and roughly how long did delivery take?

I got a OnePlus off GearBest, shipped on the 25/07 and arrived today. The one that avoids customs is really slow because they send it via Germany and repackage it there.

But when I say it arrived today all I got was an empty plastic bag, the phone went missing somewhere along the way. Don't think that's typical of GearBest but I'd recommend the shipping insurance and paying via PayPal anyway.

Brasso wrote: »
    I got a OnePlus off GearBest, shipped on the 25/07 and arrived today. The one that avoids customs is really slow because they send it via Germany and repackage it there.

But when I say it arrived today all I got was an empty plastic bag, the phone went missing somewhere along the way. Don't think that's typical of GearBest but I'd recommend the shipping insurance and paying via PayPal anyway.

that's the priority line method yeah?

so what do you do now with your empty bag - claim through paypal?

that's the priority line method yeah?

so what do you do now with your empty bag - claim through paypal?

Yeah EU priority line. I've raised a ticket with GearBest for the missing phone, they're supposed to respond within 24hrs so I'll see what they say. 180 days with PayPal to claim if it's needed anyway.
    Big hassle to wait up to another 20 business days for a replacement phone though so hopefully I'll just get a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

Thanks for that link. I will check it out and see if I can get any info from it. I suppose I could just pop into an Eir store on the way home from work.

Did you get everything sorted? Waiting on your experience before ordering mine. You're my guinea pig:):):)

Ny buddy in Germany had one waiting for me when I visited last week (the 6Gb/128Gb version). Seems fine so far, my previous Zenfone 5 is moving on to its new owner this w/end.
    Main reasons I went for the Z6 were:

a) Good experience with the Zenfone 5
    b) Headphone socket & FM radio
    c) Big battery
    d) Not crazy expensive for very upto date specs

Just a tiny bit larger than the 5 & happy to see the end of the 'notch'.

OK so it took months longer than I wanted and in the end I had to settle for a different color and less storage/RAM than I wanted (all 4 per-orders didn't work out but turns out Asus UK will ship to Ireland) but I at last I have a Zenfone 6!

Now too the testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Brasso wrote: »
    Yeah EU priority line. I've raised a ticket with GearBest for the missing phone, they're supposed to respond within 24hrs so I'll see what they say. 180 days with PayPal to claim if it's needed anyway.
    Big hassle to wait up to another 20 business days for a replacement phone though so hopefully I'll just get a refund.

What happened?

lawred2 wrote: »
    What happened?

A good bit of back and forth with GearBest since then. I wouldn't say their customer service is the best anyway but they always get back within 1 working day. They asked me to launch a claim with the shipping company so I raised a ticket online with AnPost, got a letter of acknowledgement dated the 29/08 but haven't heard anything since then. GearBest say they have also launched a ticket with the shipper (AnPost or Deutsche Post? Or both?). That was on the 23rd of August and they said it would take 7-10 working days. Hadn't heard anything back today so I've just escalated my PayPal dispute to a claim.

I would generally use Amazon for online shopping and I've found GearBest's customer service lacking in comparison for sure. I can't really blame them for the thing going missing in the post but their response is way too slow. I ordered the phone on the 11th of July so it's a joke at this stage.

• Advertisement

An update was pushed out a few days back. I didn't know of it until by chance I went looking for one. So they may not always show themselves in the shade.

Advertisement