Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back on the wheat

Options
  • 16-05-2019 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭

I stopped eating wheat\gluten about fifteen years ago, I have CFS and was getting too many gut issues from it. I'm going to try wean myself back on it soon, but only with sourdough or spelt, I think a lot of issues people are having with wheat & gluten intolerance is down to the way a lot of modern bread is made.

Has anybody here started eating wheat again after a long pause and do they eat the traditional type or regular supermarket bread?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Why are you wilfully eating something that you know causes you gut issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    Why are you wilfully eating something that you know causes you gut issues?

Because I believe that I threw the baby out with the bathwater, like millions of others have done, if you don't have actual coeliac disease you should be able to eat wheat. There has been a whole movement and industry built on gluten-free products and lifestyle. Everybody has friends and family now who aren't coeliacs, but are wheat-free.

Recently however there has been a turnaround, we've been eating wheat for thousands of years, it's a very nutritious food. Eating foam made out of rice and tapioca is a very poor substitute. The issue is the way most wheat is grown now and how the bread from it is then made.

I'm going to try eating bread made from organic wheat that doesn't have the added gluten and preservatives etc that they add to bread. I may not be able to maintain it, I'll have to try it to find out though.

https://lifespa.com/episode-41-eat-wheat-grain-brain-debate-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Ah ok, that makes more sense. I thought you had already identified the wheat as your issue. Start with sourdough, long-proven sourdough. Are you any good at baking? Sourdough is pretty easy to bake and then you'd be in control of the ingredients and the fermenting.
    A high-quality pizza would also usually have a 24hr proven base, this would have to be from a good pizza restaurant, not frozen or pizza hut.
    But if I were you I'd start baking myself. it's the easiest way to control what you're eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

I left the wheat flour made things for a few months, and that time, I was using dark organic flour. I think it is easily available in the markets. You can also go with barley flour if you don’t have any medical issue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Jessie1965

Seanachai wrote: »
    I stopped eating wheat\gluten about fifteen years ago, I have CFS and was getting too many gut issues from it. I'm going to try wean myself back on it soon.

Has anybody here started eating wheat again after a long pause

Here are my thoughts on your question:- I never eat bread now or pasta. I have discovered both by being told by others with same problem and my own bad experience that "health" bread isn't at all healthy for me, or any other spelt bread etc.

I am seeing you as being misled by a natural response by those who are scornful of self diagnosing people who certainly don't have Coeliac or CFS as you have, but are merely 'love me cos I'm ill' people.

I've met one who self diagnosed MS even though she has never been near a neurologist in her life! What an eyeopener!

This weird behaviour with Coeliac irritates chefs when it has to involve totally unreasonable demands from large swathes of seemingly vain shallow types who don't admit to just being shattered after a hard week at work!

No, it has to sound cool, and the truth is like a rubber band, it fits round any obstacle to sounding brilliant every day!

I'm noting your use of the word "wean". You must have picked up that false notion from an unprofessional type whose motives are unclear. It's never used by allergy experts that have professional qualifications and years of experience, plus up-to-date ongoing education.

It isn't possible to get used to wheat if my physical body reacts badly because it hates wheat. The response is predictable: -

The rush of energy is the adrenalin being produced to fight off a foreign substance. Then afterwards, headache, nausea, closed off sensation in my general awareness, fatigue, reduced cognitive function.

Weaning is a term used to describe giving solid food to a baby. Using this term is a manipulative effort to make you desire the dream that you are an innocent healthy child, who isn't really sick with chronic fatigue syndrome. In other words, it's a lie with a beautiful cosy feeling attached to it.

I hope you understand me. I hope you will do what always worked.

Oatnmeal porridge and oat bran I have, also potatoes, steamed in 20 mins.

Take care.

• Advertisement

Jessie1965 wrote: »
    Here are my thoughts on your question:- I never eat bread now or pasta. I have discovered both by being told by others with same problem and my own bad experience that "health" bread isn't at all healthy for me, or any other spelt bread etc.

I am seeing you as being misled by a natural response by those who are scornful of self diagnosing people who certainly don't have Coeliac or CFS as you have, but are merely 'love me cos I'm ill' people.

I've met one who self diagnosed MS even though she has never been near a neurologist in her life! What an eyeopener!

This weird behaviour with Coeliac irritates chefs when it has to involve totally unreasonable demands from large swathes of seemingly vain shallow types who don't admit to just being shattered after a hard week at work!

No, it has to sound cool, and the truth is like a rubber band, it fits round any obstacle to sounding brilliant every day!

I'm noting your use of the word "wean". You must have picked up that false notion from an unprofessional type whose motives are unclear. It's never used by allergy experts that have professional qualifications and years of experience, plus up-to-date ongoing education.

It isn't possible to get used to wheat if my physical body reacts badly because it hates wheat. The response is predictable: -

The rush of energy is the adrenalin being produced to fight off a foreign substance. Then afterwards, headache, nausea, closed off sensation in my general awareness, fatigue, reduced cognitive function.

Weaning is a term used to describe giving solid food to a baby. Using this term is a manipulative effort to make you desire the dream that you are an innocent healthy child, who isn't really sick with chronic fatigue syndrome. In other words, it's a lie with a beautiful cosy feeling attached to it.

I hope you understand me. I hope you will do what always worked.

Oatnmeal porridge and oat bran I have, also potatoes, steamed in 20 mins.

Take care.

I get where you're coming from, it's only me that's using the word wean, I'm not working with any practitioners for this. The way I approach it is, it's not so much the wheat that's the problem as much as the way in which my body reacts to it. But I'm like a badger, I have to dig to find out the why.

My allergy coincided with glandular fever when I was younger, it changed my whole immune system permanently. I'm not naive though, It may be that I'd need some sort of stem cell treatment to bring it back to normal.

How exactly is wheat a "very nutritious food"?

If it's grown in good soil is should be rich in vitamin B1, B2, B3, E, folic acid, calcium, phosphorus, zinc, copper, iron, and fiber.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I gave up wheat & sugar etc a years ago for controlling my arthritis in my back (ankylosing spondylitis).

After a year or two I went back to eating sour dough bread (from supermarket!) once a week & I started eating other food items that contained some wheat.
    At first I felt no bad effects but after 4-5 months of eating it my arthritis flared up again.

So now i only ever eat it on special occasions.
    Depending on how your digestion reacts, the wheat might wear it down after some time if you eat too much of it suddenly.

I believe spelt and other species of wheat contain lectins that arent as bad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Try having bread that's stoneground whole wheat, means it's not ground into super fine particles, and it's got better fiber content.

There's one in tescos I've found very good https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=280516221

I've cut back on bread myself, but mainly to lose weight. I don't suffer from issues related to gluten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

An interesting medium article on the benefits of ancient wheat.

Modern wheat has a lot of mutations that improve wheat output but greatly increase inflammation.
    Whereas ancient wheat can actually reduce inflammation.

https://heated.medium.com/rethinking-gluten-free-9af692cebe3d

• Advertisement
Advertisement