Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy

Options
  • 16-05-2019 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi,

Two months left to start looking for a house to buy.

You guys say Dublin 1 is dangerous, d15, crumlin, ballyfermot, blanch. Almost all of the one we can afford. The question is where these days is now safe where the kid is stabbed near Dudrum, the eara quite nice and expensive.

What possibly could happend or is happening that is dangerous. I am really really lost.

We have 250k budget. I am thinking even we go to Portlaoise, buy the house for 150k and be mortgage free in 10 years max.
    We want to get something asap.

BTW now we live in Dublin 8, the area not very nice for some of you but in my perception is okey. Yes, there are scums walking and loads of rubish but in general is okey

Please help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

elizunia87 wrote: »
    Hi,

Two months left to start looking for a house to buy.

You guys say Dublin 1 is dangerous, d15, crumlin, ballyfermot, blanch. Almost all of the one we can afford. The question is where these days is now safe where the kid is stabbed near Dudrum, the eara quite nice and expensive.

What possibly could happend or is happening that is dangerous. I am really really lost.

We have 250k budget. I am thinking even we go to Portlaoise, buy the house for 150k and be mortgage free in 10 years max.
    We want to get something asap.

BTW now we live in Dublin 8, the area not very nice for some of you but in my perception is okey. Yes, there are scums walking and loads of rubish but in general is okey

Please help

250k is a healthy budget for a 3/4 bed semi in Louth / Meath. Far closer to Dublin than Laois too. Smaller towns from Drogheda south have great access to the city if you need it and have their own decent amenities too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Every area has it's downsides. If the papers are to be believed Louth is a warzone - it's patently not. Use online forums and Facebook groups along with a lot of visiting places at odd hours to do your research.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Dublin 15 is very large and ive lived there for years. Its not dangerous .. where you get that from. Only place I was every robbed was in ranelagh. Property can be got in Dublin 15 for alot less than 250k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

What do you actually need from your future home? How many of there are you? What hobbies do you have? What amenities do you absolutely have to have near by? Where do you need to get to for work? If you move jobs, what areas are other employers in your industry based in?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The tinker war in Drogheda aside, Louth is as close to Dublin as meath and is somewhat cheaper, if you go with meath, trim is a lovely town

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

Every area has it's downsides. If the papers are to be believed Louth is a warzone - it's patently not. Use online forums and Facebook groups along with a lot of visiting places at odd hours to do your research.

I'd rather live in Baghdad than Louth.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭elizunia87

Thank you Everyone for suggestion.

I think there is no really area where you can fell safe 100%. We are foreigners and we do not mind to be in the mixed area as long as is safe :)
    For me : 2/3 bedroom house, conditions ready to move in, garden. There will be 3 or max 4 of us :)
    The most important is to be not far away from city centre. We cycle and not own the car. As this is the additional cost for couple of years we would not like to have a car, that is why county Dublin would be preferable.

I think there is no really area where you can fell safe 100%. We are foreigners and we do not mind to be in the mixed area as long as is safe :)
    For me : 2/3 bedroom house, conditions ready to move in, garden. There will be 3 or max 4 of us :)
    The most important is to be not far away from city centre. We cycle and not own the car. As this is the additional cost for couple of years we would not like to have a car, that is why county Dublin would be preferable.

look around d 15 its very diverse...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Louth is definitely a warzone. 2 of the ****tiest towns in Ireland are in Louth

• Advertisement

Thank you.

We do consider Balbriggan in the "worst" scenario, when we will not be able to get anything close Dublin 8 or 12 ( our first choice). The houses you sent they are gorgeous.
    Is there any area of Balbriggan that is better to avoid?

Gerry G wrote: »
    Louth is definitely a warzone. 2 of the ****tiest towns in Ireland are in Louth

Warzone? 2 families feuding? A bit of a dramatic statement I would say.

Warzone? 2 families feuding? A bit of a dramatic statement I would say.

It's much more than 2 families feuding. Drogheda and dundalk were kips long before any of these new nippers came along. It's a cesspit of a town

It's much more than 2 families feuding. Drogheda and dundalk were kips long before any of these new nippers came along. It's a cesspit of a town

Are you from there and speaking from personal experience ?

Are you from there and speaking from personal experience ?

I'm most definitely speaking from experience. I've lived in both, mostly Dundalk which in my humble opinion is hell on earth. Horrible place followed closely br Drogheda

I'm most definitely speaking from experience. I've lived in both, mostly Dundalk which in my humble opinion is hell on earth. Horrible place followed closely br Drogheda

What utopia do you live in now ?

What utopia do you live in now ?

It's far from Utopia I can tell you but it's even further from Drogheda or dundalk. Kips

• Registered Users Posts: 14,023 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The near (inchocore) side of ballyfermot is ok, there may even be some properties in inchicore that may be in that budget as well, and there is fine bar a few areas - flats near st michaels, towards bluebell etc.

It's far from Utopia I can tell you but it's even further from Drogheda or dundalk. Kips

Excellent information, great to know.

Excellent information, great to know.

Any time, I'm here all week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Sono

Dublin 15 is very large and ive lived there for years. Its not dangerous .. where you get that from. Only place I was every robbed was in ranelagh. Property can be got in Dublin 15 for alot less than 250k

I am from D15 and I would not fancy buying a house for 250k there at the moment, you would end up in a kip of an area imo.

Sono wrote: »

I am from D15 and I would not fancy buying a house for 250k there at the moment, you would end up in a kip of an area imo.

I would.say that. Id say fro 250 youd get a Nice house. Whzt about where you are living ? Any more issues with your own neighbours ? Where are you living again ?

I think if you're willing to consider duplexes or ground floor apartments you'll get something in a decent area that's comfortable and commutable in Dublin.

Somewhere like Waterville in D15 might suit. Handy to Blanchardstown centre and Blanch village when you cut through the hospital.

I would.say that. Id say fro 250 youd get a Nice house. Whzt about where you are living ? Any more issues with your own neighbours ? Where are you living again ?

A quick search on Daft will confirm you will not get much for 250k in D15 in today’s market.

I think if you're willing to consider duplexes or ground floor apartments you'll get something in a decent area that's comfortable and commutable in Dublin.

Somewhere like Waterville in D15 might suit. Handy to Blanchardstown centre and Blanch village when you cut through the hospital.

I was looking at houses 3 bed minimum, I disregarded apartments in my search, I wouldn’t disagree with Waterville but I thought they mentioned needing a house.

Thank you Guys for all suggestions.

No, we will not go for apartment or duplex as we do not want to pay management fee.

Thank you Guys for all suggestions.

No, we will not go for apartment or duplex as we do not want to pay management fee.

To be honest you’re asking too much then.
    Dublin is a decent sized city, you want a house + land = low density living but you also want the car free lifestyle and convenience to the Centre and amenities = high density living aka an apartment block/duplex.

You can get both but typically at a €€€€ which you don’t have, or if you take a massive risk on area which I wouldn’t advise if you have a kid.

People see management fees as this crazy expense. You’re paying to maintain your property - the roof, the windows, the walls, the car parking space. You will pay the same money or close to it in a house it’ll just come in drips and tidal waves over the years instead of as a neat annual bill.

You’re going to have to decide what gives to square the circle.

To be honest you’re asking too much then.
    Dublin is a decent sized city, you want a house + land = low density living but you also want the car free lifestyle and convenience to the Centre and amenities = high density living aka an apartment block/duplex.

You can get both but typically at a €€€€ which you don’t have, or if you take a massive risk on area which I wouldn’t advise if you have a kid.

People see management fees as this crazy expense. You’re paying to maintain your property - the roof, the windows, the walls, the car parking space. You will pay the same money or close to it in a house it’ll just come in drips and tidal waves over the years instead of as a neat annual bill.

You’re going to have to decide what gives to square the circle.

Maybe you are right. Want to have it all under 250k. The management fee I do not even mind to pay as long as they do ther job. My mother in law just got increase of fee for her 1 bedroom apt to 2000€/ year. The company does not do their job properly, she is not allowed to have a dog in the house, put the laundry on the shared balcony. Too much limitation. Also personal reasons we need another floor.

Another point is one day when you are mortgage free you still have this management fee on your shoulder and you never know how much it is going to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

BS

Advertisement