Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housing Crisis and Immigration?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

The_Brood wrote: »
    Is there a more general thread to discuss the housing crisis? Have been passed on for a loan despite having every single last document they require and meeting all their requirements, as they are constantly coming up with more and more obstacles. Are only rich people entitled to get houses, to be able to live? Does Ireland hate the working class so deeply?

Unfortunately Leo and FG do. Have you tried the credit union they are now offering mortgages.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Does anyone know how all the Africans ended up in gaffs out in balbriggan??

Like im just curious, did they buy them or did they get on the social?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

If I remember correctly, new developments (and existing?) all had a quota of x% must got to special classes.

But developers of multiple sites had the cheeky workaround of combining all the x% of each site into a single site. In this case balbriggan.

Now this is something to research yourself, it's a sketchy memory of it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Is there a more general thread to discuss the housing crisis? Have been passed on for a loan despite having every single last document they require and meeting all their requirements, as they are constantly coming up with more and more obstacles. Are only rich people entitled to get houses, to be able to live? Does Ireland hate the working class so deeply?

They don't acknowledge the working class. Everyone is either middle class, squeezed middle or a sponger.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I know from personal experience that most Africans want a new house rather than 2nd hand, even if the latter is more far more desirable by the normal factors of Irish property. IE: they would turn down a 1940s council house in Marino or Kimmage and wait for a new-build somewhere on the fringes of the county instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Unfortunately Leo and FG do. Have you tried the credit union they are now offering mortgages.

Or you know the loan the councils are doing now if you get turned down for a mortgage??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Have a look over on the accommodation and property forum, there's more serious threads there.

This one is just another immigrant bashing one.

Something to look into is the Building Ireland scheme, if you've been turned down by 2 banks you can apply and the interest rates and terms are supposed to be very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭enricoh

Nearest spot to mosney, a few years penance in the direct provision centre there n u get the keys to a gaff in balbriggan n the scratcher.

Near e2000 to rent a 3 bed semi in balbriggan nowadays, hard to compete against the council!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Heres one I dont get. According to the CSO there are 6,084 Nigerians in Ireland. According to World Bank data in 2017 there was $2.1bn of remittances sent out of the Irish economy to people in other countries. Of that $2.1bn almost a quarter ($471 million) was sent in remittances from Ireland to Nigeria. Which means that for every Nigerian here they sent $77,000 back to Nigeria from Ireland which is approx €68,000. Something doesnt add up here, either Nigerians are using Ireland for some sort of a massive banking scam or there are way more Nigerians in Ireland than the 6,084 the CSO thinks. It could be a mix of both scenarios, I find it hard to believe there are only 6,084 Nigerians in Ireland.

Whatever is going on something is not right about it.

https://www.pewglobal.org/interactives/remittance-flows-by-country/

There is another category, Irish-Nigerian, in the census data.

There were 6,995 people listed in this category in the 2016 census.

All this data is, however truthful or reliable, 3 years old at this stage.

Ether way there must be a lot of money in taxi driving, shop keeping, not to mention prostitution and whatever you're having yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Who ever is in power does,nt make much difference,
    we need housing plans that are 5-10 years long.
    this government we have now plans for maybe 3 years in advance .
    We are in a boom now ,
    we should be paying off x per cent off the large national debt.
    If the economy slows down alot of people will simply leave the country and tax revenue will fall rapidly.
    One example theres 1000,S of council tenants staying in a 3 bed house.eg 1 person rents a 3 bed house .
    Their children have grown up and left the house.
    meanwhile single parents live in hotel room,s .
    We need a system that encourage single tenants to move to smaller units .
    Theres 1000.s of empty council flats that just need basic repairs .
    Flats are empty for 2 years cos the council renovates the space when someone moves out .
    The council has a limited budget and staff to carry out basic repairs .
    The problem is young people who are working full time
    are finding it very hard to get a mortgage ,
    if they want to live in the city they may be rent forever .
    Its hard to save when rents are very high There are a lot of landlords
    who bought say 10-15 years ago ,who make very little profit
    as they have to pay a large mortgage.
    they cannot sell the investment unit as its in negative equity .
    Even if they sold now ,they would owe the bank 50k plus .
    Most immigrants or anon nationals are working and paying tax .

• Advertisement

riclad wrote: »
    Who ever is in power does,nt make much difference,
    we need housing plans that are 5-10 years long.
    this government we have now plans for maybe 3 years in advance .
    We are in a boom now ,
    we should be paying off x per cent off the large national debt.
    If the economy slows down alot of people will simply leave the country and tax revenue will fall rapidly.
    One example theres 1000,S of council tenants staying in a 3 bed house.eg 1 person rents a 3 bed house .
    Their children have grown up and left the house.
    meanwhile single parents live in hotel room,s .
    We need a system that encourage single tenants to move to smaller units .
    Theres 1000.s of empty council flats that just need basic repairs .
    Flats are empty for 2 years cos the council renovates the space when someone moves out .
    The council has a limited budget and staff to carry out basic repairs .
    The problem is young people who are working full time
    are finding it very hard to get a mortgage ,
    if they want to live in the city they may be rent forever .
    Its hard to save when rents are very high There are a lot of landlords
    who bought say 10-15 years ago ,who make very little profit
    as they have to pay a large mortgage.
    they cannot sell the investment unit as its in negative equity .
    Even if they sold now ,they would owe the bank 50k plus .
    Most immigrants or anon nationals are working and paying tax .

Unemployment rate for Nigerians in Ireland is 75% the last time I checked

Pull the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Niall Mellon must have built them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

I wish I was unemployable. I'd have a house by now. Tax payers are mugs

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Blueshoe wrote:
    I wish I was unemployable. I'd have a house by now. Tax payers are mugs

Not absolutely true now, a hotel room could very well be your home, and possibly indefinitely

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Not absolutely true now, a hotel room could very well be your home, and possibly indefinitely

Don't think so. I'm my little town there are a few dozen houses filled with locals who never did a days work. I went to school with some of them! Had a few kids , haap pays the rent and they drink pints at the weekend.

I get up for work everyday and make sacrifices to save like an eejit

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Blueshoe wrote:
    I get up for work everyday and make sacrifices to save like an eejit

I'd imagine long term unemployment isn't much fun, even if it seems that way, you're far better off being well educated, trained and employed, as there's a better chance of a higher quality of life overall. Be more concerned for the rising cost of living and decreasing working standards, than what the unemployed are at

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

I'd imagine long term unemployment isn't much fun, even if it seems that way, you're far better off being well educated, trained and employed, as there's a better chance of a higher quality of life overall. Be more concerned for the rising cost of living and decreasing working standards, than what the unemployed are at

Although not perfectly culpable, too many people competing for limited resource will have that net negative effect.

Employment/housing/quality of life...too many people in Dublin, and spreading beyond. Not only competition amongst ourselves but you're also squeezing inside a luas with a Jamaican, queuing alongside a German, trying to rent places against a Brazilian, applying for a job beside French and Indian and Italian.

I'm sure some genius somewhere thought this situation would lead to IMPROVED quality of life, but then there's that pesky reality thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

LOL.

As others have said, you are competing for jobs in a situation which allows for businesses to depress wages. Somehow, people in the capital are now competing for accommodation allowing for rents to be driven unbelievably high. Businesses have now achieved their dream. The increase in population due to economic immigration exceeds what we can provide services for so now we take wheels off trolleys and call them hospital beds. Wealth inequality grows by the year. Taxes, charges, healthcare costs and childcare strip the money from your wages before you can even start saving for your future....

But hey, quality of life is on the up, right? R-right you guys?
    I'm sure some genius somewhere thought this situation would lead to IMPROVED quality of life, but then there's that pesky reality thing...

Lol, the people set to profit from this know damn well of the ill-effects, but they don't affect them...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Someone has instructed CIE to suddenly suspend political adds so perhaps the establishment agree open borders are part the problem.

https://twitter.com/IrexitFreedom/status/1130074725043118080

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Someone has instructed CIE to suddenly suspend political adds so perhaps the establishment agree open borders are part the problem.

NBRU made representations. As did some very vocal headbangers on Twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

I love all these concerned citizens (not racists of course just "concerned") who have never worked a day in their lives and somehow think their lives would be better is we rounded up all the hard working emigrants, who are actually contributing tax that pays their Dole, and sent them back where they came from. Most of them would die of shock if we told them we'd sent a Polish lad back to Poland and instead they were starting his 12 hour shift in the local factory at 9 in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

n97 mini wrote: »
    NBRU made representations. As did some very vocal headbangers on Twitter.

They should be looking out for the actual concerns of their members most DB drivers couldn't care less what ads are on their buses. Not all DB drivers agree with their stance. Unions should be looking out for Irish workers first and preventing a race to bottom of cheap migrant labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Yes it is hard to believe. I hope you don't think i am starting to argue. I don't want to do that. You seem a nice polite person. :P

BUT have you considered that it MIGHT NOT actually be true?

Most of the housing in Dorset st is terrible anyhow.

But also we have worse issues in Dorset street THERE IS A SEX SHOP :eek:

https://www.todayfm.com/news/dublin-adult-shop-ordered-remove-raunchy-window-display-859844

Also this might be hard to believe but a high percentage of immigrants work in the HSE particularly looking after the elderly.

Anyway i hope i said that politely. :o

Hmmmmm...user name.....line of business.....I'm calling shennanigans in Dorset Street !!!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Stephen15 wrote: »
    They should be looking out for the actual concerns of their members most DB drivers couldn't care less what ads are on their buses. Not all DB drivers agree with their stance. Unions should be looking out for Irish workers first and preventing a race to bottom of cheap migrant labour.

Unions should be banned, getting €800 to €900 a week to drive a Bus is a sick joke, their members are not effected by the Housing crisis so they can pontificate from their ivory towers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

beejee wrote: »
    Im aware of these other factors, but taking the extreme case of dorset street for example, 7% being irish is far more important a factor than anything you listed above, in my opinion.

To be fair how many Irish people would want to live on Dorset St?! Bad example. Presumably many of the immigrants to Ireland, particularly Dublin are gainfully employed and need somewhere to live. I’d hazard a guess a lot of the more recent ones are employed in the tech industry and are needed here? Even the non skilled workers are in demand, the ones I’ve met work (hard) in the hospitality sector which wouldn’t function without them. The one thing I will agree with you on is that student accommodation is woefully lacking and something needs to be done about it. There appears to have been a big increase in luxury accommodation in recent years but little enough for the average student in terms of affordability.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭enricoh

touts wrote: »
    I love all these concerned citizens (not racists of course just "concerned") who have never worked a day in their lives and somehow think their lives would be better is we rounded up all the hard working emigrants, who are actually contributing tax that pays their Dole, and sent them back where they came from. Most of them would die of shock if we told them we'd sent a Polish lad back to Poland and instead they were starting his 12 hour shift in the local factory at 9 in the morning.

Many of the hard working poles have gone back to Poland as housing + living costs are too high here. Plus the polish economy is picking up.

We have plenty who came over for the treasure Ireland welfare state n have no intention of doing a tap. I saw wheeliebin iirc state that 75% of nigerians here are unemployed- the jokes on us!

touts wrote: »

I genuinely lold your last sentence!!

Brilliant!!

Daisy78 wrote: »
    To be fair how many Irish people would want to live on Dorset St?! Bad example. Presumably many of the immigrants to Ireland, particularly Dublin are gainfully employed and need somewhere to live. I’d hazard a guess a lot of the more recent ones are employed in the tech industry and are needed here? Even the non skilled workers are in demand, the ones I’ve met work (hard) in the hospitality sector which wouldn’t function without them. The one thing I will agree with you on is that student accommodation is woefully lacking and something needs to be done about it. There appears to have been a big increase in luxury accommodation in recent years but little enough for the average student in terms of affordability.

So we give all these benefits to multinational tech companies such as grants and low corporation tax in order to employ Irish people only for them to go and employ forgein nationals. Israel has a booming tech sector with lots of start ups I doubt Israel would be happy if tech companies there went and employed large numbers of forgein nationals.

Unskilled immigrant labour is a race to bottom to suit employers simple as. Irish people will not accept the abysmal pay and conditions on offer in the likes of the hospitality sector so they'll employ cheap forgein labour who are willing to work for the minimum wage and every hour god sends in order to sent money home and out of our economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,280 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Most of the EU people who come here are hard working and are an asset to this country, the same can't be said for so called asylum seekers from africa many of whom are scammers who just cost us money and add nothing.

• Advertisement

Most of the EU people who come here are hard working and are an asset to this country, the same can't be said for so called asylum seekers from africa many of whom are scammers who just cost us money and add nothing.

The economy in most of Eastern Europe is growing rapidly so less and less feel the need to move here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement