Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Thanks Kceire - I knew it had to be something and not just arbitrary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Thanks for the correction but any ideas why I'm limited to one car in my drive which will take two? This is specifically on the planning.

Most likely you are limited to 1 hard parking place. You can have a gravel or pebble parking space.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Most likely you are limited to 1 hard parking place. You can have a gravel or pebble parking space.

This could be a good work around. Loose pebble still allows surface water soakage etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Makes more sense to have parking for two cars in the front of the house instead of a garden. No need for a front garden.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Makes more sense to have parking for two cars in the front of the house instead of a garden. No need for a front garden.

There is, if it is a water run off.

• Advertisement

I hate this set up. Typical townhouse set up.
    Rows of cars parked side by side.

You can’t clean out your car Incase the neighbor comes home and needs his spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

People always park outside our house. Sometimes on the grass ( this enrages me but that’s neither here nor there). To reiterate what a previous poster said, the problem is visibility and the amount of manoeuvres needed to get in out. It’s a mix of strangers / neighbours who park outside our house. I’ve never said anything but when it takes five minutes to just get out of your drive sometimes ( people park on the cul de sac directly across from the house too ) I am seething inside. Most of my neighbours just park on the road to avoid this which exasperates the situation. I’d just park somewhere else not worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭zell12

People always park outside our house. Sometimes on the grass ( this enrages me but that’s neither here nor there). ...
    36.2.(i) A vehicle shall not be parked on a footway, a grass margin or a median strip

zell12 wrote: »
    36.2.(i) A vehicle shall not be parked on a footway, a grass margin or a median strip

Really I never knew this ! Thank you. We have had to replant the strip twice in five years. Very annoying.

zell12 wrote: »

In many estates only the ignorant won’t park with two wheels on the footpath as if you don’t then a car can’t park opposite due to the road being too narrow and thus reducing the number of parking spaces. I know in an estate I spent some time in one person annoyed all the neighbors as he would never park on the footpath thus meaning there were times a perfectly good parking space opposite him couldn’t be used and someone would have to park at the other end of the estate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Parking on the footpath endangers children and causes huge problems for people in wheelchairs or invalid vehicles as well as for people with prams and buggies. There's a very good reason it's illegal and I applaud that man! Not every road is meant to have parking on both sides of the road.

OP, nobody is entitled to a reserved space on a public road. Your neighbour might not like that but that's her problem.

Caranica wrote: »
    Parking on the footpath endangers children and causes huge problems for people in wheelchairs or invalid vehicles as well as for people with prams and buggies. There's a very good reason it's illegal and I applaud that man! Not every road is meant to have parking on both sides of the road.
    Exactly this, I am often pushed out on to the road for someone else’s ( who doesn’t live in the estate) convenience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

In many estates only the ignorant won’t park with two wheels on the footpath as if you don’t then a car can’t park opposite due to the road being too narrow and thus reducing the number of parking spaces. I know in an estate I spent some time in one person annoyed all the neighbors as he would never park on the footpath thus meaning there were times a perfectly good parking space opposite him couldn’t be used and someone would have to park at the other end of the estate.

Actually he is the only one who isn’t ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,696 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Parking on a footpath is a far bigger issue than inconveniencing someone who wants to park slightly

Caranica wrote: »

OP, nobody is entitled to a reserved space on a public road. Your neighbour might not like that but that's her problem.

Everyone else in the estate parks on the footpath and nobody cares (incl the people with kids).. Kids spend their time playing in the road anyway so the footpaths being parked on makes zero difference as even if they weren’t parked on no one would use them.

If everyone acted like that person (and some here) there would be a severe lack of parking in the estate there is no where else close by for people to park so I’m not sure what you expect people to do. A car can’t pass if two cars park opposite each other without one on the path while a bin truck can pass if one car parks tight to the wall up in the path.

It was poorly designed the road wasn’t made wide enough for no reason as there is a big green area on the other side that would not suffer at all from an extra yard taken out of it (the kerb is really high so only people with 4x4s are able to park with two wheels on the grass and many with 4x4s do this).

This sort of crap is another in the long list of reasons why I could never live in an estate for very long and am building my own rural house with lots of private space and none of this rubbish dealing with parking and neighbors on top of you.

Everyone else in the estate parks on the footpath and nobody cares. Kids spend their time playing in the road anyway so the footpaths being parked on makes zero difference as even if they weren’t parked on no one would use them.

If everyone acted like that person there would be a severe lack of parking in the estate there is no where else close by for people to park so I’m not sure what you expect people to do. A car can’t pass if two cars park opposite each other without one on the path while a bin truck can pass if one car parks tight to the wall up in the path.

It was poorly designed the road wasn’t made wide enough for no reason as there is a big green area on the other side that would not suffer at all from an extra yard taken out of it (the kerb is really high so only people with 4x4s are able to park with two wheels on the grass and may with 4x4s do this.

If one person parks properly and legally and another person parks directly opposite and blocks the road, it is the second person who is the ignorant asshat. Not the person parked legally.

amcalester wrote: »
    If one person parks properly and legally and another person parks directly opposite and blocks the road, it is the second person who is the ignorant asshat. Not the person parked legally.

There is an unspoken agreement in the estate that to allow everyone find space you park on the path, anyone who doesn’t is seen as ignorant and I fully agree with this.

There is nowhere outside the estate to park so if the estate if full by people not parking fairly (I.e. on the path) the there is nowhere for people to park.

I only visit this estate occasionally now and the car numbers are increasing with anyone with a 4x4 now having to park up with wheels on the green in narrower parts etc so cars have the road or path. it’s pure ignorance not to try to park in a path of possible.

There is an unspoken agreement in the estate that to allow everyone find space you park on the path, anyone who doesn’t is seen as ignorant and I fully agree with this.

There is nowhere outside the estate to park so if the estate if full by people not parking fairly (I.e. on the path) the there is nowhere for people to park.

I only visit this estate occasionally now and the car numbers are increasing with anyone with a 4x4 now having to park up with wheels on the green in narrower parts etc so cars have the road or path. it’s pure ignorance not to try to park in a path of possible.

Parking fully or partially on a path is ignorant, simple as.

Like I said above people get a bit funny about parking, some think they’re entitled to the space outside their house and others think they can park on footpaths.

Neither is right and both are ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Everyone else in the estate parks on the footpath and nobody cares (incl the people with kids).. Kids spend their time playing in the road anyway so the footpaths being parked on makes zero difference as even if they weren’t parked on no one would use them.

If everyone acted like that person (and some here) there would be a severe lack of parking in the estate there is no where else close by for people to park so I’m not sure what you expect people to do. A car can’t pass if two cars park opposite each other without one on the path while a bin truck can pass if one car parks tight to the wall up in the path.
    Why would you expect public space to be given over to storage of private property?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,696 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

So you think pushing someone with a buggy onto the road is a good idea ?

How many cars can each house park in their drive ?

• Advertisement

This is bull****. I assure you no such agreement exists in our estate and we are subjected to the attached ‘visitors’ parking daily.

Cyrus wrote: »
    So you think pushing someone with a buggy onto the road is a good idea ?

How many cars can each house park in their drive ?

One car in some, two in others. From what I understand the people who bought the houses first had the option of a front garden and one space or pay a small bit more and get two spaces instead of the garden. Of course many shortsighted people opted for one space though as the houses have changed hands many gardens were converted to spaces but still I’d guess about half the houses have only one space and half have two roughly.

Many houses now have 3 cars though, an odd one even 4 (or some have cars and a work van etc) so couple that with visitors and you end up with the need for using both sides of the road for parking.
    Why would you expect public space to be given over to storage of private property?

Because it should be, that’s how estates work people need to park also the public areas in the estate are for the benefit of the residents and they would all want more parking. Other estates in the area with a similar layout have additional parking cut into the green area but for some reason this was never added to the estate in question. Making the road a yard wider was all that was needed, the green area is unusually large and only a small portion is actually used so it would have made zero difference to have a wider road in the estate and a slightly smaller green.

I know you have outlandish options on cars so I wouldn’t be basing anything on your way of thinking.

Many houses now have 3 cars though, an odd one even 4 (or some have cars and a work van etc) so couple that with visitors and you end up with the need for using both sides of the road for parking.

Again, why would you think that public space should be given over to storage of private property? Have you anything better than 'that's how it should be'?

If I get a new snooker table, can I take public space on the road to store my hobby equipment? I need my snooker, you know.

Again, why would you think that public space should be given over to storage of private property? Have you anything better than 'that's how it should be'?

If I get a new snooker table, can I take public space on the road to store my hobby equipment? I need my snooker, you know.

Mod Note

Andrew, you have posted the same comment in multiple threads about private cars. Do not mention it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭Sarn

I would be of the view, that parking that does not obstruct or inconvenience anyone is fair enough. Also, parking on a footpath where pedestrians are not inconvenienced should be ok.

If most streets, particularly small estates, if people park cars correctly on opposite sides of the road, the large vans or emergency vehicles can not pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Have you never chained your bicycle to a pole, railing or a bike stand in a public place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

The f**king joys of parking wars, they are like little cross terriers barking. My 1st warning for parking in a public street opp. someones (deranged) house, was to just sense a little knock as I turned the steering to get out from spot at 3:30 to head on early shift. Something wasn't right, out I got to find all (the inside by the wall ) front wheel nuts on the ground! And I going to head for the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

salonfire wrote: »
    dougiex06 wrote: »
    Hi,

A very petty topic I know but I'm just wondering could someone help me. A couple of times I've had to park across the road from my house. I park in front of someone else's house in the estate but the road itself is public. I'm not obstructing anything and all cars can get by etc. Recently, the lady has bought and erected a no parking sign and stuck it on her wall. Whenever I park there she refers to the sign and makes me move. Other people in the estate now have to park on the other side of the road and it causes obstructions as there are cars parked on both sides now.

Is this woman allowed just put up a no parking sign? Is there any way I can complain and get it taken down. Its attached to her front wall facing out.

Petty I know.

Kind regards.

A

Why can you not park in your own property? Widen the driveway or concrete over the lawn if needs be to create extra parking
    Yep tis an idea, more & more there is planning permission needed though for drainage, but you could easily put a gravel parking spot.

• Advertisement

Rothmans wrote: »
    Have you never chained your bicycle to a pole, railing or a bike stand in a public place?
    Yes, indeed I have - though rarely enough, as the risk of getting a bike stolen in Dublin is a big problem. I've also parked my car in a public place occasionaly.

What I haven't done is jumped up and down in a tantrum expecting the world to be organised around my parking needs.

Advertisement