Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Doris Day RIP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,086 ✭✭✭✭ Harry Palmr

A sad day, both a fine singer and actor, not too bad when asked to do drama rather than the fizzy comedies she made her name with. I say this every time someone of her generation dies but really she must be the last of Hollywood's golden era this time! :pac: Her two films opposite James Garner are worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,950 ✭✭✭✭ tayto lover

Very sad.
    A very enjoyable part of my childhood was watching her films and listening to her lovely songs especially the film Calamity Jane.

RIP Doris.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭ Igotadose

A sad day, both a fine singer and actor, not too bad when asked to do drama rather than the fizzy comedies she made her name with. I say this every time someone of her generation dies but really she must be the last of Hollywood's golden era this time! :pac: Her two films opposite James Garner are worth a watch.

Amazingly, Olivia De Havilland's still around, and sharp enough to be suing to protect her brand. She's 102! She was in "Gone With the Wind" in 1939 - 80 years ago. Damned impressive.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2019/01/07/supreme-court-wont-hear-olivia-de-havillands-case-feud/2506752002/

• Registered Users Posts: 74,982 ✭✭✭✭ JP Liz V1

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭ Snickers Man

Olivia de Havilland still breathing at time of writing, aged 102, just a few months older than Kirk Douglas who's also still around.

Ms Kappelhoff (yes, that was her real name) was a mere sprite at only 97.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭ Rubberchikken

the true meaning of a legend and great actress to boot.
    nothing and no one in hollywood today that compares.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭ vriesmays

Storm warning was her best movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,543 ✭✭✭✭ Tony EH

Igotadose wrote: »
    Amazingly, Olivia De Havilland's still around...

Whatever those old dears of Hollywood are having, I'll have some of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭ The Rape of Lucretia

Tristesse.

Always liked Oscar Levant's line "It was Doris Day's first picture - that was before she became a virgin".

Great voice. Few are as distinctive.
    A lot to be said for this for example:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭ gazzer

Im genuinely sad over this. Loved watching Doris Day movies when I was a kid and Calamity Jane is one of my favourite movies. Loved all the work she did for animals in her later life too. Might have a watch of Calamity Jane and The Man who knew Too Much at the weekend.

Crazy to think that her only son was a music producer who turned down Charles Manson for a record deal and for a period of time he lived in the house where Sharon Tate and four others were murdered by Manson’s followers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭ branie2

May she rest in peace

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭ fryup

Love those comedies she did with Rock Hudson and James Garner...very funny

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭ branie2

I have one of her movies in my film collection, The Man Who Knew Too Much

• Registered Users Posts: 11,104 ✭✭✭✭ RMAOK

RIP

Advertisement