Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Doris Day RIP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A sad day, both a fine singer and actor, not too bad when asked to do drama rather than the fizzy comedies she made her name with. I say this every time someone of her generation dies but really she must be the last of Hollywood's golden era this time! :pac: Her two films opposite James Garner are worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,478 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Very sad.
    A very enjoyable part of my childhood was watching her films and listening to her lovely songs especially the film Calamity Jane.

RIP Doris.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,947 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

A sad day, both a fine singer and actor, not too bad when asked to do drama rather than the fizzy comedies she made her name with. I say this every time someone of her generation dies but really she must be the last of Hollywood's golden era this time! :pac: Her two films opposite James Garner are worth a watch.

Amazingly, Olivia De Havilland's still around, and sharp enough to be suing to protect her brand. She's 102! She was in "Gone With the Wind" in 1939 - 80 years ago. Damned impressive.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2019/01/07/supreme-court-wont-hear-olivia-de-havillands-case-feud/2506752002/

• Registered Users Posts: 84,954 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Olivia de Havilland still breathing at time of writing, aged 102, just a few months older than Kirk Douglas who's also still around.

Ms Kappelhoff (yes, that was her real name) was a mere sprite at only 97.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

the true meaning of a legend and great actress to boot.
    nothing and no one in hollywood today that compares.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Storm warning was her best movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,902 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Igotadose wrote: »
    Amazingly, Olivia De Havilland's still around...

Whatever those old dears of Hollywood are having, I'll have some of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Tristesse.

Always liked Oscar Levant's line "It was Doris Day's first picture - that was before she became a virgin".

Great voice. Few are as distinctive.
    A lot to be said for this for example:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

Im genuinely sad over this. Loved watching Doris Day movies when I was a kid and Calamity Jane is one of my favourite movies. Loved all the work she did for animals in her later life too. Might have a watch of Calamity Jane and The Man who knew Too Much at the weekend.

Crazy to think that her only son was a music producer who turned down Charles Manson for a record deal and for a period of time he lived in the house where Sharon Tate and four others were murdered by Manson’s followers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

May she rest in peace

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Love those comedies she did with Rock Hudson and James Garner...very funny

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I have one of her movies in my film collection, The Man Who Knew Too Much

• Registered Users Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

RIP

Advertisement