Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hows your rhubarb?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^

tbh i can't remember

Then, that's the issue. Revitalise it next spring.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Just harvested most of my rhubarb. Not a great crop and looking a little dried up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I put down some rhubarb a month ago and it just died.

Nothing coming up at all.
    The ground was well manured.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭macraignil

I put down some rhubarb a month ago and it just died.

Nothing coming up at all.
    The ground was well manured.

A month ago would be an unusual time of year to plant rhubarb. I read before that January and February is the usual time to divide or move it. At that time of year it has no leaves but is starting to develop buds that go onto grow into stalks and leaves. If it was planted with full leaves it might have required too much water before the roots had time to settle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

Second year in a row having great rhubarb from an older plant, two years ago covered it over the winter with a tumble dryer drum and when I went to remove it in the Spring couldn't hardly do so with so much growth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

macraignil wrote: »
    A month ago would be an unusual time of year to plant rhubarb. I read before that January and February is the usual time to divide or move it. At that time of year it has no leaves but is starting to develop buds that go onto grow into stalks and leaves. If it was planted with full leaves it might have required too much water before the roots had time to settle.

Garden was late getting ploughed. It was Aldi best so I can suffer the loss.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Second year in a row having great rhubarb from an older plant, two years ago covered it over the winter with a tumble dryer drum and when I went to remove it in the Spring couldn't hardly do so with so much growth.

My folks used to use old clay chimney post back in the day which were quite attractive. I like the idea of lovely pink forced rhubarb but just want something aesthetically reasonable to force it through. My plants are coming on ten years old so should probably consider splitting. Also Aldi's best FWIW.

I use two old black plastic bins - The one's we had before wheelie bins. Alternated around the plants each year. Lovely sweet rhubarb.
    smacl wrote: »
    My folks used to use old clay chimney post back in the day which were quite attractive. I like the idea of lovely pink forced rhubarb but just want something aesthetically reasonable to force it through. My plants are coming on ten years old so should probably consider splitting. Also Aldi's best FWIW.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

"and on the third day it rose again"

i should never have doubted it, it never lets me down....just a bit of weeding, dead heading and liquid seaweed feed...and waa la :)

rhubarb3.jpg

I'll stop harvesting ours this week, to allow the plants build for next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭pnecilcaser

Beast! this thing has gone huge of over the last few years, I have split it twice already and it still churns out stalks. Got it for free from a garden of a friend in wicklow. I laugh when I see rhubarb stalks for sale in supermarkets.

IMG_20190626_190427.jpg

IMG_20190626_185954.jpg

IMG_20190626_190208.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yearning.. it was on my list this year but there was too much else on it... A garden without rhubarb ...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Currently have two large saucepans of rhubarb cooking for both this evening and for freezing.
    I'm a happy camper!

Currently have two large saucepans of rhubarb cooking for both this evening and for freezing.
    I'm a happy camper!

Will you just make pie or crumble?

I was trying to think of ways I could freeze small separate bits, imaging a block maybe 2.5 times the size of a standard ice cube. Then I could take one out every night to defrost for morning porridge.

We just chop it up raw and bung it in the freezer in small bags of a portion or two and use all winter as we wish.

I was trying to think of ways I could freeze small separate bits, imaging a block maybe 2.5 times the size of a standard ice cube. Then I could take one out every night to defrost for morning porridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Two varieties of rhubarb - early variety suffered during the dry spell. The later variety doing very well. Picking as required atm.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i had a phenomenal apple and rhubarb cider a year or two back, must try making some myself.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

This batch has been stewed and will be used with custard over the next few months. (Mmmmmmmmmm)
    Next batch will be used for baking.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

i had a phenomenal apple and rhubarb cider a year or two back, must try making some myself.

Recipe for that if you have it! plz

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

none yet, it was a commercially produced one, but it was lovely. i guess the main thing to get right is quite how much rhubarb juice to use, and that would be down to experimentation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Picture above indicates stalks have been cut rather than pulled - I was always told to pull my rhubarb - what do others do?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tcif

We pull the stalks (also heard that's better for the plant than cutting).

You know you're probably right! cutting is just easier I guess. I haven't had any problems with disease yet anyway

my rhubarb is struggling again this year?? would a sprinkling of potash do the trick?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,203 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Mine is like yours, I have one plant that is doing great and I have pulled some of it already no problem. Two other little plants look very sad, very small, no idea what the difference is. I was going to give them a bit of bagged manure just to encourage them. I'll do it while I think of it!

bit late now, but i think you need to lift it and split it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭macraignil

Mine is looking fairly similar but I'm just putting it down to it still being a bit cold at night for it to be growing at its full potential. It got a few barrows of manure over winter so it should not be short of nutrients anyway.

Happy gardening!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭phormium

Mine is terrible this year, one teeny tiny little stalk starting from a spot that has about 6 plants, I split them about 2 yrs ago and gave the surplus to a friend where it is thriving! I also put bags of manure on it last year and was expecting it to be revitalised this year but it's pathetic!

will the forthcoming bitter cold nights - be good or bad for it? should i cover it with tarpaulin?😶

• Advertisement

i gave it a good drenching of seaweed feed - hope it does the trick

how about potash should i throw it on as well??

Advertisement