Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir

Options
  • 12-05-2019 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

I am writing to seek advice on what to do next with regards getting broadband installed at my house. I live in a new small estate on the outskirts of Cork city. For the past 15 months, my neighbours in 11 other houses and I have been left very frustrated by the lack of information that makes sense and also the refusal by OpenEir to speak to the public when they have the vital information that's required. Just for completeness there are also 5 older houses in our small estate that are full connected by Eir. Those houses were completed in 2009 approx.

So what do we have/not have in our estate
    - cabinet connected to fibre broadband at entrance to estate
    - older five houses connected to broadband (last leg of this is over copper telephone lines)
    - newer 12 houses has fibre running up to all front gates (so better setup than older 5)
    - newer 12 houses has no copper infrastructure to delivery telephone capability

So whats been happening
    - Builder said all above is not his responsibility
    - No info from OpenEir no matter how many times I ask their Programme Manager for area
    - Eir Retail sending Engineer x 4 times out each time to install broadband
    - Engineer each time sees no telephone infrastructure and packs up and leaves
    - The cycle continues - EirRetail have no way of making any decision on this

So whats seems possible
    - Fibre to the home (FTTH) only needs a fibre cable run from road outside our houses to connection in wall at front doors ready to take in the service

Questions
    - Who should have installed the telephone infrastructure when houses being built ?
    - Now that's its not there, why can we not just get connected over fibre ?

I am so frustrated, can anyone please advise.

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to the Broadband forum

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you feel comfortable doing so you can send me a PM of your Eircode and Ill check what the system thinks is available to you.

Whats sounds like is happening:
    - Fibre is as far as your culverts but nobody marked you as enabled
    - This may have happened as you had no eircodes when the works were done so nobody could have
    - As the database is essentially blank for you the system assumes you need a new copper line provided. This then goes to the field for them to work how to get a cable to you. Field service tech sees that you should be FTTH instead and theres no copper around and fails your install. Rinse repeat.

The smaller ISPs have been much better at working with customers to get eircode/prequal database errors fixed so that you may order the right service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

Could you contact Virgin or Siro and ask about getting the estate wired?

Eir make Sir Humphrey seem non bureaucratic. You'd think someone would be able to identify that you're connectable and complete the work rather than getting stuck in a bureaucratic infinite loop.

I'd also suggest contacting all of your local council candidates. They're in preelection mode and might be able to put pressure on.

You'd be better off not dealing with Eir Retail. Try Digiweb or the other smaller FTTH ISPs. They'll be more likely to actually put some effort into finding out what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Earls Well

Hi all

Thanks, some other info

- I've asked Vodafone for a connection but they say I have no connectability possible
    - We have Virgin manholes outside our houses as well as Eir, Virgin website says not connectable in our area

There were a late distribution of Ericodes for us and maybe this was after works done to pull cables up our roads.

My EC is (mod edit)

Thanks.

Thanks, I have a few local politicians on this too. Open Eir won't share an info with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

I don't understand why OpenEir and Eir in general has to be so painfully awkward. People are trying to hand them business and they're turning it down.

I'd be of the opinion that if they behave like this they should be fined / loose their licence. They're in the privileged position of having a really dominant position in the access network market and they behave like this.

Also the use of Eircodes is problematic for new build. You'd think they'd know this. I don't understand why Eircodes aren't automatically assigned in the planning process though. It seems crazy that you have to wait for the postman/postwoman to feedback that there's a new house there, particularly when an increasing number of utilities and other companies are requiring eircodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You may not want to post that publicly, its posting your full street address.

Your Eircode = No result
    Address:

"fullAddress":"REDACT","townEnabled":false,"maxDSL":null,"maxHSI":"80M_20M_R","maxFTCHSI":null,
    "maxNGB":null,"maxNRA":"70M_20M_FR","maxFTCNRA":null,"maxDSLServiceCode":null,
    "maxHSIServiceCode":"FCBPS","maxFTCHSIServiceCode":null,"maxNGBServiceCode":null,
    "maxNRAServiceCode":"FCBPS","maxFTCNRAServiceCode":null,"phase":"Available Now","phone":null,"validationType":"address","message":null,"redCustomer":false,"lastUpdated":null,
    "itv":true,"partialAddresses":null,"completed":true,"needsEircode":false,

^ So as I outlined above, their db thinks you should be on the cabinet.

Contact a smaller retail ISP and ask them to have your eircode record updated. Airwire have been known to be helpful on this front.

Hi,

Thanks,

What do you mean by contacting a smaller ISP and have my eircode record updated ? Can you explain why this is required please ?

I called DigiWeb and they said we check the Eir database and use the Eir infra. Dead end.

Earls Well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Earls Well wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks,

What do you mean by contacting a smaller ISP and have my eircode record updated ? Can you explain why this is required please ?

I called DigiWeb and they said we check the Eir database and use the Eir infra. Dead end.

Earls Well.

The larger companies simply don't care if they miss out on getting the business from a few houses, since they have so many customers they won't put in any effort to gain what they consider a insignificant amount of new sign ups. For smaller companies that couple of houses represents a much larger increase to their total customer count. Airwire have a reputation for sorting out problems like this.

http://www.airwire.ie/index.php/contact

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Saulute6

Sounds like ourselves in a similar situation , we did our own ducking (diged fiber cable for 150m in the ground , were promised a pole - nobody knows anything and its going on since April ...probably the worse service i experienced in last 15 years and i am not even started service yet ;D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Saulute6 wrote: »
    Sounds like ourselves in a similar situation , we did our own ducking (diged fiber cable for 150m in the ground , were promised a pole - nobody knows anything and its going on since April ...probably the worse service i experienced in last 15 years and i am not even started service yet ;D

Did you make sure you went for a provider that is known for good customer support?

Advertisement