Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Niallof9 wrote: »
    eh but he was ready? :confused:

What age is Scott Penny, Larmour on his cap. What age was James Ryan on his cap? Aaoron Sexton was 18 playing for Ulster A. His point stands in a way in a general sense. we are already seeing it with Kelleher. Even though James Ryan was younger and had played no big games when he was capped in Japan.

Curry absolutely was ready and power to him. Super player. But if he was schooled in Ireland I don't think he would have been.

Similarly. Aaron Sexton was schooled in the UK.

Scott Penny was 19 on his Leinster cap and a prodigious exception going straight into the academy from school.

Larmour and Ryan were both 20 and closer to 21 on their international caps.

I'm taking nothing away from their achievements.

The point I am making is I feel the Leaving Cert cycle in its current form hinders people from fully developing to high performance Rugby until they leave school. Of which most people only do so at 18.

I am referring to international rugby FWIW

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Can we not have this conversation here as well please?

molloyjh wrote: »
    Can we not have this conversation here as well please?

Is it safe to venture into other threads? :pac:

I've steered clear of a lot of them since the start of the RWC

Is it safe to venture into other threads? :pac:

I've steered clear of a lot of them since the start of the RWC

Give it a few more weeks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Clegg wrote: »
    Doris beats out Deegan for the 8 jersey. Although Deegan's versatility could see him come on at 6,7 or 8. Absolutely delighted to see Kelleher straight in to start at hooker too.

15. Jordan Larmour (39)

Glad to see Doris & Larmour getting the nod over Deegan and Rob.
    Think they both bring more to their respective positions

The beginning of the end for Rob?
    Wouldn't be surprised to hear an announcement in the new year that he has signed to some team in France.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Please don't bring the rubbish going on in the Ireland thread into the Leinster thread.

Liking the team, great to see Larmour getting picked at 15. I hope thats the sign he is our starting 15 for big match's rest of season. Thank you Rob, incredible servant but it is time to move on....

Like that Tomane is getting a run, he is form player at the moment. Will be interesting to see how D Kearney performs as he has done brill so far in preseason and Pro14(que stupid posts again)

Strong team and nice to see Keatley back in Ireland.....

Wouldn't be surprised to hear an announcement in the new year that he has signed to some team in France.

I doubt it, I would expect him to retire. He has his fingers in a few pies and at this stage of his career would he really make that much playing 1 year in France?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Kearney isn't the only first teamer who hasn't been selected this week. I'd give it a few more weeks before we can declare whether or not he's now second choice.

RK is only 33. & has been mollycoddled in Ireland. Two more years at least in him. he could get 200k a year over there easy
    https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/morne-tops-saffa-rich-list-in-france/

Kearney isn't the only first teamer who hasn't been selected this week. I'd give it a few more weeks before we can declare whether or not he's now second choice.

R Kearney wanted a 2 year contract and in the end got 1 year. From a business point of view I don't see any reason why Leinster/IRFU would extend beyond this year. They have 12 months to bring forward his replace and have them ready to take over. Picking Larmour at 15 in the HC going forward would make sense.

Im not saying throw R Kearney out now, he is still been paid, but they need to get Larmour up to speed in the big games

• Advertisement

true. just thought it strange that he was on the bench last wk and then dropped.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Kearney is clearly now second choice if LArmour isn't starting wing. Time to move on fully from him. Great servant but the time is now for Larmour. What an exciting team. I have a soft spot for Adam Byrne, hard to see him sticking around after not making a squad like this and being in and out of every squad so far.

Will be interesting to see how Sexton reacts.

Huge game for the Kelleher and Porter. The latter could really make strides this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Hope he gets an absolutely brilliant reception.

Why would he get any different a reception than any of the other times he'd played against Leinster in the RDS for either Connacht or Munster?

Anyway, very good team. Looking forward to it.

There's definitely been a swing away from the sentiment that Irish rugby can't do without Kearney in the side. He was dropped multiple times last season by province and country. But each time that's happened he eventually found himself back in the 15 jersey and starting the big games.

The World Cup may end up being the watershed moment for him though. For really the first time in his career, he wasn't able to put in a performance in a big game. Larmour performed better when he was given the opportunity in the same tournament.

Sexton is not a happy chappy at the moment......I would expect him to take it out on Treviso!!! let us all have a moment in silence for them :-)

Anything think Porter could end up forcing his way past Tadgh this season?

I'm not dismissing Furlong in any shape or form. Nor am I drawing conclusions from this and last weeks selection.

Just Porter is an exceptionally gifted athlete whose stock and experience improved immensely during the RWC. His scrummaging has hugely improved in 2019

They're both babies in prop speak so I'm excited to see whose ceiling could be higher

I'm not dismissing Furlong in any shape or form. Nor am I drawing conclusions from this and last weeks selection.

Just Porter is an exceptionally gifted athlete whose stock and experience improved immensely during the RWC. His scrummaging has hugely improved in 2019

They're both babies in prop speak so I'm excited to see whose ceiling could be higher

I doubt it, Furlong is an incredible player. I do think he has been going non stop for a few seasons now. Having Porter will maybe take the pressure off in some of the games.

A prolonged rest now at start of club season might be the best thing for him

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

He very well might.

I think the 3 TH for the Lions could well be Furlong, Sinckler and Porter. Crazy that 2 of them are at Leinster.

He very well might.

I think the 3 TH for the Lions could well be Furlong, Sinkler and Porter. Crazy that 2 of them are at Leinster.

I was surprised on another rugby site they discussed who would be the Lions potentially

At least one person from Wales picked out Porter and they seemed certain he would travel. So he is picking up fans outside of Ireland as well

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I was surprised on another rugby site they discussed who would be the Lions potentially

At least one person from Wales picked out Porter and they seemed certain he would travel. So he is picking up fans outside of Ireland as well

Gatland has form in picking young, dynamic front row forwards for the Lions - Vunipola in 2013, Sinckler in 2017. Porter fits that mould.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Yeah i think he might. He's an absolute monster. Is there anything to be said of a Porter Furlong duo at this stage? Healy slowing well down now. I don't think its written in stone that Porter is the bench finisher for tighthead.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭lotmc

Great team - really looking forward to it.

There is genuine competition for every single place on the starting 15. An alternative, available, and very good starting 15 could have been Dooley, Tracy, Furlong, Molony, Fardy, Murphy, Connors, Deegan, JGP, R Byrne, C Kelleher, O'Brien, O'Loughlin, A Byrne, R Kearney. In fact a pretty good third team could probably be put together as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Would make sense now - obviously didn't make much sense when they moved him across because Healy and McGrath were ahead of him at loosehead. Knowing absolutely nothing about propping I'm not in a position to comment, but he's done most of his progression at TH at this point. Moving him back across may not be the easiest thing in the world

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Would make sense now - obviously didn't make much sense when they moved him across because Healy and McGrath were ahead of him at loosehead. Knowing absolutely nothing about propping I'm not in a position to comment, but he's done most of his progression at TH at this point. Moving him back across may not be the easiest thing in the world

He has scrummaged against some pretty useful tightheads at Loosehead recently without issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Podge_irl wrote: »

Its much easier to move from TH to LH than the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think if he switched back to oh he'd be Healy's successor. He's just a beast. Furlong could probably use a little break. He's been non stop for the last 3 seasons.

Joe Tomane has been withdrawn from the Leinster squad due to a tight hamstring. ROL will start in his place and Henshaw moves to the bench.

Shame for Tomane as he deserved a start after his good form.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Richie pulling the plums off himself with glee I imagine.

Shame for Tomane but ROL is more than able.

Henshaw moving to the bench is interesting. I just assumed he wasn’t fit.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Richie pulling the plums off himself with glee I imagine.

Shame for Tomane but ROL is more than able.

Henshaw moving to the bench is interesting. I just assumed he wasn’t fit.

Based on performances so far this season Tomane would have deserved the start over Henshaw.

Henshaw has been a long time off with injuries and always seemed to be rushed back so maybe a slow return might be better

• Advertisement

Joe Tomane has been withdrawn from the Leinster squad due to a tight hamstring. ROL will start in his place and Henshaw moves to the bench.

Shame for Tomane as he deserved a start after his good form.

Crap for Tomane. He deserves to start.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement