Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman Loses Job for Holding Gender Critical Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

No idea. Down to the individual employer. I see no reason why, say someone who is a homosexual should be compelled to retain an employee they find thinks of them as subhuman.

Stating that if one disputes anti-scientific ideological claims that this means one ''despises'' others as ''subhuman'' is the false dichotomy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

If a company can ban a customer for actions taken outside the company which have nothing to do with the company, then it is a reasonable analogy to suggest that companies which operate utilities could cut customers off for actions taken outside the company which have nothing to do with the company. How is it a strawman? It's literally happening right now, today. I believe Twitter is the most recent company to state that an individual's behaviour away from the platform might get them banned from using it. How is that any different to what's depicted in the graphic I posted?

The analogy is completely absurd and looks to be part of the new right wing victim fantasy. Utilities like electricity are necessities required for a basic standard of living. Twitter is not.

Of course you're welcome to cite a trend of conservatives having their utilities cut off because they say conservative things.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Zorya wrote: »
    Hmmm. Putting me on the spot eh :)
    There has been a split of sorts in feminism, though I hate that damn word because fourth wave feminism is so alien to me, someone who would have certainly considered and still consider myself an old style feminist. There are certain women now who are objecting to a new attempt to erase woman by what is essentially a man's movement.

We know that you're not neutral or impartial on the transgender issue.
    I am not going to go into it, as it's too big. Those women are told to stay quiet. they have been doxxed, threatened with rape/death, called TERFs, there are TERF killer memes, even art installations! For example The Degenderettes. Who also merchandise bats. This is from their exhibit at San Francisco Public Library

Violence from whatever quarter is to be condemned, the perps do not represent anyone in LGBT community.

That American/Canadian website https://www.feministcurrent.com/ you linked, there is some amount of hostility directed against men there in articles and especially in the comments. Do you agree with that?

klaaaz wrote: »
    We know that you're not neutral or impartial on the transgender issue.

Violence from whatever quarter is to be condemned, the perps do not represent anyone in LGBT community.

That American/Canadian website https://www.feministcurrent.com/ you linked, there is some amount of hostility directed against men there in articles and especially in the comments. Do you agree with that?

Have already said I'm not a radical feminist - and I linked to first google article about Degenderettes. Feel free to google them further - it gets no better.

I am rarely enough neutral or impartial, but specially not on big issues. Guess that's the human in me.

Have already said I'm not a radical feminist - and I linked to first google article about Degenderettes. Feel free to google them further - it gets no better.

I am rarely enough neutral or impartial, but specially not on big issues. Guess that's the human in me.

So you disagree with the content of https://www.feministcurrent.com/ aiming against men then. I have no idea how you found the name "Degenderettes" in the first place, first I heard of that name was from you, you must be an avid follower of the LGBT scene in San Francisco in order to have come across something like them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The analogy is completely absurd and looks to be part of the new right wing victim fantasy. Utilities like electricity are necessities required for a basic standard of living. Twitter is not.

Of course you're welcome to cite a trend of conservatives having their utilities cut off because they say conservative things.

A private company is still a private company. Many countries in the world delegate (wrongly in my opinion, but that's a debate for another day) necessity provision to private companies. What about Irish Water, for example?

And furthermore, given the monopoly social media companies have on discourse, I'd argue that for political participation, they are becoming more and more of a necessity every day.

How about banking and credit card companies? When they formed a cartel to make it virtually impossible for people to donate money to Wikileaks back in 2010, for example? You don't feel that crosses the line into denying "necessities" based on political ideology?

Depends. Does the Atheist despise Catholics?

No. But they openly criticise the ridiculous notion that their belief is not based in fact

I phrased that wrong with a double negative but you get me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Down to the individual employer. I see no reason why, say someone who is a homosexual should be compelled to retain an employee they find thinks of them as subhuman.
    So you think its fine for a homosexual boss to fire a homophobe worker, but if it happens the other way round you throw a hissy fit?

Is it not possible that people could just "agree to disagree" about their private lives/private views, and just get on with the work?

See, this is the problem with the LGBT lobby these days. You have gone from oppressed minority to oppressor minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

recedite wrote: »
    So you think its fine for a homosexual boss to fire a homophobe worker, but if it happens the other way round you throw a hissy fit?

Somebody is inevitably going to make some comment which, when you boil down the political jargon and buzzwords, amounts to "but one view is morally right and the other is morally wrong, so punishing someone for holding one is fine but not the other way around".

Forgetting, of course, that in a democratic society, the sole arbiter of moral right and wrong is supposed to be general public opinion and consensus. And you can never reach a consensus of any kind if one side of the argument is prevented from setting out their stall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭VicMackey1

Maybe posting this video isn't completely relevant to this thread, I haven't followed it much. But is it ok to have and express the opinion that what is happening in this video is completely nuts? There is only one girl in this video with the balls to talk, no pun intended! The rest are afraid to express their opinion because it is not the correct opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

VicMackey1 wrote: »
    Maybe posting this video isn't completely relevant to this thread, I haven't followed it much. But is it ok to have and express the opinion that what is happening in this video is completely nuts? There is only one girl in this video with the balls to talk, no pun intended! The rest are afraid to express their opinion because it is not the correct opinion!

boo hoo! those two girls are faster than me, waaah! what a cry baby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

boo hoo! those two girls are faster than me, waaah! what a cry baby

You most likely have never trained hard for any sport to notice just how much stronger men are over women.
    This will be a an odd period in time to look back on. We will wonder wtf we were doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,269 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

To those who are justifying this era of private companies punishing individuals for speech and activities unrelated to the actual company itself, in all honesty how do you react to this tweet? Because it sums up, for me, the absolute absurdity of ideological discrimination being considered acceptable, and private companies being allowed to discriminate either employees or customers based on their speech in their spare time:

GM1zG8q.jpg

Mussolini said Fascism was the merger of State and Corporation.

What we have now is the merger of Activist and Corporation.

While progressive and left wing activists are often against global capital, they often work for global capital and come from the class that benefits from it most.

The Left used be largely working class. It is like my late father describing the sheer amount of wild Salmon that swam in the local river, thousands.

I believe it, know it was so but it is no longer so and is not goìng to be seen again in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,269 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Rvsmmnps wrote: »
    You most likely have never trained hard for any sport to notice just how much stronger men are over women.
    This will be a an odd period in time to look back on. We will wonder wtf we were doing.

It is gas, they were **** runners as males, not even contenders at small local competitions, as "females" they are already going to be contenders for Olympic medals.

At the moment there are about 5000 u17 males who run 100m fast enough to win the last Olympic gold for women.

Somebody is inevitably going to make some comment which, when you boil down the political jargon and buzzwords, amounts to "but one view is morally right and the other is morally wrong, so punishing someone for holding one is fine but not the other way around".

Forgetting, of course, that in a democratic society, the sole arbiter of moral right and wrong is supposed to be general public opinion and consensus. And you can never reach a consensus of any kind if one side of the argument is prevented from setting out their stall.
    Its worse than that, because even if one view was more righteous, the other view is still only thoughtcrime. When you start punishing people for thoughtcrime you are in a dark place.
    The mod here suggests its OK to fire an employee if..
    an employee they find thinks of them as subhuman
    So this "finding" is just a view that the employer may have formed, it may not even be correct.

How would the employer form this view, or make this finding?
    Maybe from hearing the employee laugh at a particular joke, or maybe find a particular link in the employees web browsing history. Then jump to the conclusion that the employee must think all homosexuals are subhuman.
    And then... "Whooaaa... that's a firing offence".

IMO if a homophobe does not like homosexuals, well then just keep it to yourself when a work colleague is a homosexual. You don't have to have lunch with them.
    If a homosexual does not like homophobes, well then just keep it to yourself when a work colleague is a homophobe. You don't have to have lunch with them.

Rvsmmnps wrote: »

salty cis tears

;)

salty cis tears

;)

Haha in another life you troll TERFs, doncha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭hcf500

rgodard80c wrote: »
    My post was reported here.

https : // www . boards.ie / vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110143086&postcount=953

Banned for a month.

So ironic that a post specifically about people being silenced by trans activists, a blatant re-reg (HCF500 - yes I know the irony) has reported people with different opinions to silence them.

It's sad, it's pathetic, it's a sign that a few hundred people with clear psychological problems are very much censoring and silencing the normal, traditional, scientific status quo.

Anyways, carry on.

Funny that you are back here again after being banned! I didn't report you by the way! If you were banned, it was your own fault, some moderator must have thought you deserved to be banned! I cant recall what you said but I know it was very transphobic and offensive.

When someone transitions to a woman, they become a women and take part in womens sports! It just means that there is new competition that may be better that you! No point throwing a tantrum, put some of that energy and hatred into better training!

• Advertisement

hcf500 wrote: »
    ..put some of that energy and hatred into better training!
    Or do it the easy way, and cheat.
    From the video... "The athlete competed for 3 seasons as a man, and was only mediocre. Then started competing as a female..."

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

When someone transitions to a woman, they become a women and take part in womens sports! It just means that there is new competition that may be better that you! No point throwing a tantrum, put some of that energy and hatred into better training!

Hatred? Where’s the hatred? Sounds like you might be a bit in the sensitive side yourself

Anyway, did you watch the video?
    While the two male bodied athletes may be legally considered female, their bodies are as male as any on the male track team. Which they didn’t make.
    In Connecticut they might as well just abandon the male/female division as allowing trans girls to compete as girls with absolutely no hormone suppression or any other intervention (apart from maybe growing their hair long) is nonsense.

To be honest, if my son did that I’d be ashamed of him.

Candamir wrote: »

To be honest, if my son did that I’d be ashamed of him.

That really is backward! Let me guess, you are pro life also? Im glad I don't have a dad like you!

That really is backward! Let me guess, you are pro life also? Im glad I don't have a dad like you!

Ha ha. No. I’m not pro life. I’m most definitely pro choice, voted and campaigned for SSM, and am fully behind transgender people’s acceptance in the community.

I suppose if I decided to transition, I could be my sons dad, so wrong there too.

If my son transitioned to female and competed in girls sports with the full benefit of his male body and male hormones I would consider that unfair and akin to cheating. I would not support him/her.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

No they do not, and there’s no point in them throwing a tantrum about that, it would serve their interests and their mental health a lot better if they were to put all that energy and hatred of themselves into some appropriate counselling to learn to accept who they are rather than put that responsibility on anyone else to accept them for who and what they aren’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭VicMackey1

Im glad I don't have a dad like you!
    Candamir wrote: »

I suppose if I decided to transition, I could be my sons dad, so wrong there too.

Thats brilliant. Someone obsessed with gender automatically presumes you are a man! You were misgendered. You should be so offended! I think you deserve an apology!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

And if they fell into a ditch and died while out running and we’re missing for months and their body discovered and sent to be identified they’d be, guess what? MALE.

You DO NOT become a biological woman once you transition. “I “feel” like a woman.” No you could t possibly feel like a woman because you have absolutely no concept of what that means, to be born female, to be reared as female, to have every human you’ve ever encountered refer to you as a girl/woman. To go through puberty as a girl, these are ALL exclusive experiences to biological women and they can not be replicated by hormone replacement and transitioning.

I’m so tired of this absolute nonsense.

If a man wishes to be treated as a woman and transition to a woman (or vice versa) and he’s a consenting sane adult then work away, no issue from me and I like most people will be polite and refer to him/her by their new name and new identity but don’t expect people to be complicit in actually believing that he is now a biological woman.

^^^^ how dare you!!!

VicMackey1 wrote: »
    Thats brilliant. Someone obsessed with gender automatically presumes you are a man! You were misgendered. You should be so offended! I think you deserve an apology!

Clearly I’m doing something wrong when my first instinct was not to get offended! :D

• Advertisement

No they do not, and there’s no point in them throwing a tantrum about that, it would serve their interests and their mental health a lot better if they were to put all that energy and hatred of themselves into some appropriate counselling to learn to accept who they are rather than put that responsibility on anyone else to accept them for who and what they aren’t.

Oh look, the science denier who doesn't like scientists having opinions based on science.
    A person who medically transitions has gone through extensive counselling, psychology, psychiatry and endocrinologists on board. This is Ireland, not the USA with your denial opinions based on fantasy or religious conservatism politik. It is none of your business as an 'anonymous' poster on boards whether a person transitions which is good for their mental health and frankly, your and other's input on this matter can be seriously damaging to a transgender person, hence I will never invite my transgender friends to boards.
    Candamir wrote:
    If my son transitioned to female and competed in girls sports with the full benefit of his male body and male hormones I would consider that unfair and akin to cheating. I would not support him/her.

Neither would I.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement