Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Communion gift

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

No, the churches are full of atheists.

Or protestants, theologically.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Kids making 1k these days on their communion day - crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Spend a day with her doing something nice, like going to the Zoo or see Funghi and some chipper, can't go wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

An iPhone 3GS

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Edgware wrote: »
    Did ye have a barbecue back at the halting site after the ceremony?

No. Ye never extended an invite.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

First holy communion is such an important milestone in young Catholics journey.
    It should be respected for the Catholic tradition that it is.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

First holy communion is such an important milestone in young Catholics journey.
    It should be respected for the Catholic tradition that it is.

I don't disagree, but the whole preparation part needs to be stopped in schools. If parents want their child to make their communion then they can do so on their own time. That will a) weed out those who are only in it for the money/day out/bouncy castle/whatever. If it never came up as something to be prepared for in school it wouldn't cross the mind of most parents or kids, but a lot of kids these days make their communion because "everyone else is making theirs".; and b) give a lot of time back to schools to be used on the actual curriculum rather than religious indoctrination. I heard of one school that has done this and almost all the children who made their communion the first year of it were Filipino or Polish, so clearly the Irish families were what most are in this country, cultural Catholics.

No, the churches are full....

Not any more they're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I will attend my goddaughters communion soon, while I can see through the charade which indoctrinates children far to young to engage in their own critical thinking by ensuring shame is heaped upon those who don't partake In what is essentially a highly successful recruitment process for a church that has consistently preyed on its children I have a question.

Is €50 and some jewelry enough? I’m hoping to avoid some tacky crap that’s engraved to forever remind the child of what is sure to be a torturous day where the whims of her parents and over preparation are front and center in forming horrendous memories that last a lifetime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

How about an ivory figurine of satan?

They can be fairly pricey, but at least you know that it'll be unique. And they'll never forget that day! :D

Or if you're looking for more of a budget option, you could always pick up one of those lovely lucifer door knockers on amazon/ebay. Kids always love these! :)

s-l300.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Don’t be mad. Satan is no more real than god.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,036 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Typo. He meant 'Santa'.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

My God Daughter is having her first communion soon
    Any body got ideas on a good gift ?

Money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

How about a tasteful portrait then? :)

bb86edcfd15b3e33c492579c2fec7d89--adult-humor-memes.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

My godfather (who was about 22 at the time) got me a gold bracelet and £50 in a card for mine.

Advertisement