Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Plague Tale: Innocence (PC, PS4, XB1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Stuck a couple of hours into this last night and again tonight and I'm not seeing what all the fuss was about in all honesty. It's....fine...but nowhere near as great as I was expecting it to be given the praise heaped upon it last year.

Story is decent as is the setting, but from a gameplay persepective it's incredibly mundane and really not interesting to me in the slightest. The gameplay so far at least has been so simplistic that it completely erases any sense of tension.

I'll keep at it just to see do my opinions change, but at the moment it seems like one of these games that indie and mid tier devs chuck out, that feels like it gets a pass on being mediocre because it tackles dark themes and serious subject matter, despite the fact that it fails at being an engaging game.

goon_magee wrote: »
    Stuck a couple of hours into this last night and again tonight and I'm not seeing what all the fuss was about in all honesty. It's....fine...but nowhere near as great as I was expecting it to be given the praise heaped upon it last year.

Story is decent as is the setting, but from a gameplay persepective it's incredibly mundane and really not interesting to me in the slightest. The gameplay so far at least has been so simplistic that it completely erases any sense of tension.

I'll keep at it just to see do my opinions change, but at the moment it seems like one of these games that indie and mid tier devs chuck out, that feels like it gets a pass on being mediocre because it tackles dark themes and serious subject matter, despite the fact that it fails at being an engaging game.

For me it was the fact that it was a game that mechanically could have come out 10 years ago but still works today. Decent story, decent characters, linear and no bloat. Perfect 10-15 hour game. Not ground breaking by any means and I doubt anyone will say that but an enjoyable use of my time. Niggles I had were the poorly explained mechanic very late game and some very cheap deaths to go along with that.

And I know exactly the mechanic you're talking about and just like that I hate this game now. Ruined it for me. Keep killing myself with it. Why do you have to hold down the button so long? :mad:

Don't try to kite them like I and assume you thought that was how it works, just point at the place/enemy you want them to go to!!! Took me many a death to work that out. Good job game explaining that one !!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Re downloaded this last night after rage quitting just cause 4 LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Get ready to rage quit at chapter 14 of this game. ;) Actually, I had to replay Chapter 14 for a collectible and a trophy and it wasn't too bad this time as I knew the path so could rush through it but wow, this is what Final Fantasy 15 fans must have felt like with chapter 13 pre patch. :eek:

Chapter 14 was as easy as the rest of the game, had to reset a checkpoint 2 or 3 times, no big whoop :confused:

• Advertisement

Hi there, if you view my comments above it details my personal issues with a [specific section in chapter 14. Other than that, in my opinion it's really long and boring leading up to that part. As I'm sure you can appreciate, different people have different experiences and tolerances with games so while you consider 2 or 3 restarts OK for a game like this I personally would feel it's unnecessary and avoidable had the mechanic been explained a bit better. I like the game overall hence why I completed and platinumed it. Many thanks.

You didnt detail anything about chapter 14, hence my confusion as to what you found so difficult about it.. :confused:

The only thing i messed up on that chapter was sneaking about, i got caught once or twice.. If you're referring to the
    controlling the rats mechanic
    , a tutorial message pops up on the screen telling you exactly what buttons to press to use it. So im not sure what you found so confusing/frustrating about it :(

It was fairly obvious what I was referring to hence why I was able to get advice about it... Yes, I saw the tutorial but it was worded badly hence why it could easily be misconstrued. I'm not the only one who had an issue with that section and if you look online others found it annoying as well. Not sure why it bothers you so much? :confused:

Its not bothering me at all, im just genuinely curious, not sure why yer getting so uptight about it :confused:

haha im not upset though, like at all, i just asked specifically what you didnt like and you got very defensive.. :rolleyes:

No...rather you are being defensive because I didn't like chapter 14. At the end of the day you know what I didn't like and why now. So any alleged "confusion" of yours should be cleared up now. :rolleyes:

I havent defended the game at all, i said it was easy, thats about it, its hardly a masterpiece, but i enjoyed it mostly also. I just wanted to know what you found difficult about chapter 14, which it appears you just skipped over the tutorial message explaining how to use the new simple game mechanic, mystery solved :)

Yes, I saw the tutorial but it was worded badly hence why it could easily be misconstrued.

Which you could have just said in your first response instead of getting uptight and super defensive :rolleyes:

Honestly i wouldn't have bothered even trying to start a discussion on the topic if i had known you were going to be this weird about it.

• Advertisement

You're pissing in the wind here nix.

This individual has a habit of getting their back up when their view or opinion is questioned even when it is in a genuine attempt to understand their viewpoint; I once got the same treatment when I genuinely queried as to why they felt having dodge mapped to square in Final Fantasy XV was "nonsense". Was a genuine query that got manipulated into me apparently not being able to handle others opinions.

Have had a read of the posts and how it has gotten from you saying you found chapter 14 easy in response to a post that said "get ready to rage quit", to you supposedly being "upset" and "angry" is ridiculous. Mods really need to keep a closer eye on this account, because this is far from the first time I've seen the passive agressive victim cards being played from them when presed with genuine civilised queries.

"poorly explained" and "should have explained it better" will suffice. I don't have to spell it out for you when you quite obviously had no genuine intention to understand hence all the passive aggression and stealth interrogation tactics that typically come when one is butthurt that someone doesn't like something they like. I didn't like the chapter, get over it. :rolleyes:

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Keep it civil please folks.

If you have a problem with another poster, report it (just be aware we won't always think any action is justified or necessary) or take it to DM.

I think i now understand how a simple tutorial instruction was so confusing for you, you skip over what you're reading, make up your own **** and then get mad when it doesnt work out.

Actual in game tutorial instruction: "Hugo can now control
    rats
    , hold L2 to aim, then hold R2 to call the
    rats
    to the designated area"

Phantom Pain: Are you telling me ive to hold the button? How dare you! thats far too much effort, and why do i then have to press another button? AND HOLD THAT ALSO??? Thats far too complicated, Sh!t chapter!

:pac::rolleyes::D

Cool, thanks for confirming my thoughts on your attitude with that childish response. Best. :cool:

Oh, have several seats. You know very well that argument came about because you decided to insult me as my views did not correspond exactly with yours over RDR2. The fact that you're still bitter about it to the point that you're constantly jumping on my posts and calling for mod support is hilarious. Move it along. :rolleyes:

No that argument came about initially because I said your post at the time seemed hyperbolic with regards RDR2. Again it was a legitimate comment, that you decided to manipulate for personal gain cause for some reason you are incredibly insecure and get your back up when your views are challenged. If you think I'm bitter about that in anyway shape or form then you really do believe your own hype that you seem to think surrounds you. Constantly jumping on your posts? You're more than welcome to trawl through my post history for evidence, but I suspect you won't because you know yourself you won't find anything apart from the disagreement you referenced above when I called you out, and a few posts since then where I have replied pleasantly and in good nature on other gaming threads to things you have said.

Your posts speak for themselves, so I really don't need to engage with you any further. You think you are being clever with the constant victim card playing, but in reality you just make yourself look even worse each time you do it, and I'm pretty sure everyone can see right through it by this stage. Anyway, I didn't come here to get dragged down to your level, I just felt like chiming in and letting nix know it isn't worth the energy.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend anyway man, try and relax some.

With a bit of luck I'll be finished A Plague Tale myself this evening once my wee man gets to sleep, so hopefully next time I chime in I will have a final verdict on the game myself. Actually been really enjoying it after being very lukewarm up until chapter 6. Scale and creativity of the puzzles increased some which has definitely renewed my interest.

"Quote: goon_magee
    Lol I literally said I was curious as to how you thought the controls were nonsense cause to me they were pretty similar to the Witcher, albeit with a button flipped. As I said, it was a legitimate query as to what your issue was (cause you know, I'm interested in considering differing viewpoints) and frankly it's hilarious that you're so desperate to have your points go unchallenged that you think that's whinging. But sure keep manipulating things to fit you're little narrative.

If you think that is whinging, then mammy and daddy have let you live a very sheltered life, poor people must be flat out lifting your toys off the ground what with your fondness of throwing them outta the pram!

Anyway, I thought you were done with me chappy ;)

1) First of all, it's "your" in that context. :pac:

2) You brought up the Witcher 3 assuming that I would like the controls and therefore would have no reason to complain about FF15. Like I said, you seem to have a grudge against it. :D

3) Yes, I'm done with you in the sense that I have no intention of actually taking your opinion on games seriously. Didn't say I was done embarrassing you...

lol I love how you think calling me 'chappy' and 'lad' is clever when all it proves is that you're common as muck and lacking in class.

Evidently, you're not very bright so there's a lot of legwork I have to do but don't worry, I'm good at schooling slow learners. ;)"

So the above is the one and only PM you have ever sent to me, I'm just leaving this here for all to see and for the mods to have a look at as it clearly shows the delusional post manipulation.

As you can clearly see, you didn't say you "wanted nothing more to do with me", you actually say you "aren't done embarassing me", sure seems like a guy trying to say he wants nothing more to do with someone doesn't it? You went radio silent then when I told you in my response PM that I had actually been in the process of typing out a response extending an olive branch of sorts.

Anyway, I really am going to stop wasting my time on you now, your act is woefully transparant, I just felt like your PM needed to be exposed so the way you manipulate and lie can be viewed by all. The report button is there for a reason, and I have no qualms about telling you I've jut used it, as accusing someone of using their child as a shield is low even for your standards.

Back on topic; I actually completed chapter 14 myself last night, after all the talk of it on here I had somehow got the wrong understanding that 14 was the last chapter. Sat up till 3am last night thinking I was on the verge of finishing the game only to discover there is 3 more chapters :/

I actually really liked chapter 14. Breaks up the gameplay nicely and leaves you feeling vulnerable which I think is entirely the point. Couple of frustrating sections where choosing what direction to go feels like trial and error; the camera seems to close in real tight on the character you are controlling compared to previous chapters, which can cause issues with visibility in certain sections meaning its hard to ascertain where to go next.

Overall though I liked it. Hoping to finish it at some point today, though after staying up until 3am mistakenly thinking I was at the end, and my kid deciding to get up at 6am to watch ****ing Paw Patrol, I dunno if I have any gaming left in me this weekend lol

You keep saying im angry, I'm not, im just surprised at how much you went from zero to psycho, when all i asked you was a question.

I have my issues with the game also, i just cant blame the game for being confusing when the pop up message explains exactly what the ability does, you're at fault for just not reading the message, it explains exactly what to press and what it does, the message i typed above is exactly what the message says in game.

And its nothing like FF15, that game was an absolute sh!t show pre patch, once you went to the lighthouse, it was all downhill from there.. You're comparing a drop of rain to a monsoon.

This will be my last post here, cause you're clearly insane, good work on turning a simple question into a soap opera. :rolleyes:

Advertisement