Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone installed a Sun GTIL2 Grid Tied Inverter with Limiter ?

Options
  • 01-05-2019 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm really interested in buying and installing a Sun GTIL2 unit. With the Limiter function (blocks feedback to the grid), it seems to tick so many boxes, by not becoming entangled with all that back feeding entails.

Being Grid-Tied, you don't have to go down the route of having batteries (which are possibly being somewhat "reinvented" with the development around electric vehicles).

Also, you could simply buy a unit with an output capacity to match or exceed your panels rather than an off-grid or Hybrid unit which needs to exceed the max load.

So you can happily generate maybe 500w and if your load is 2000w, the balance of 1500w will be taken From the grid.

On the other hand, if you generate 500w and only need 200w, the 300w spare is lost as the Limiter blocks it returning to the grid.

Has anyone got one installed. I'd be interested to hear some experiences from anyone.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

It's not better to have an inverter ...and...a diverter to dhw!?

Is this baby listed as compatible for our grid ?

Ideal is PVs-hybrid inverter-grid-main AC. then diverter and batteries.Also,auxiliary AC output for backup appliances/off grid.

Tks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭championc

rolion wrote:
    Is this baby listed as compatible for our grid ?

If it doesn't feedback, then how can this matter ?
    rolion wrote:
    Ideal is PVs-hybrid inverter-grid-main AC. then diverter and batteries.Also,auxiliary AC output for backup appliances/off grid.

Would a Hybrid Inverter not have to be sized for the max load of your house, which would have to be at least 6kw if you had a cooker, washing machine and a kettle on the basis that you could have all of these running simultaneously and you cannot go overloading the inverter ? Or is there a specific model which works more like a grid tied unit ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Are we talking here about hybrid inverters...or...off grid inverters?
    They work different in relation to presence of the grid signal.

What are you trying to achieve ,ignore technology and names,just list your diagram flow of inputs and outputs,please.

I am only interested in this particular model and anyone that has it will know all about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The party trick of that inverter is that it doesn't send your overproduction of PV to the grid. You need this in some countries with dumb meters that charge you for your overproduction.

Why would you want that in Ireland though?

• Advertisement

Can you do a self install and feedback to the grid ?

I'm only planning a 1kw unit, and more as a project than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

If you have a modern meter that doesn't do stupid things when you're generating a surplus, then you can use any grid tie inverter that's approved.

If you don't have such a meter it might be worth your while getting one, as upgrades are free. Eg just switch to a night rate tariff.

So I assume that I can connect an "unapproved" unit, so long as it's not back feeding ?

It seems clear that nobody (at least those on this forum) have heard of or used a SunG GTIL2

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

championc wrote: »
    It seems clear that nobody (at least those on this forum) have heard of or used a SunG GTIL2

Did my comment not state exactly why these are being used? :rolleyes:

It's an option with them. They can do either

• Advertisement
Advertisement