Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Helicopter

• 30-04-2019 12:00am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭

Why does it not show up on FR ? Do they have the transponder switched off for obvious reasons ? Rescue helicopters show up. Just wondering ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Wtf ? wrote: »
    Why does it not show up on FR ? Do they have the transponder switched off for obvious reasons ? Rescue helicopters show up. Just wondering ?

I would think it wont show up due to it being the garda chopper. If you think of it the anyone its sent to chase to whip out a mobile phone and track the chopper coming.

You answered your own question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Not sure about the Garda Helicopter but NPAS helicopters in the UK show up on RadarBox as do quite a few military aircraft.

Remaining invisible doesn’t seem to be much of a concern to them so there must be another reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

I would imagine lack of contributers to a multilateration server is probably the cause

They would also have the capability to turn of mode-s, but there are also ways to track via mode-c messages.

Lastly, on very senstive flights, I would imagine they would fly VFR with no transponder on

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Rescue helicopters show up.

The ICG fleet show up on AIS all the time (within range) but only on ADS when above a certain alt. Or so I thought?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

depends on the normal operating conditions. I would imagine the Coastguard helicopter would want to be as visible as possible, in view and electronically. it operates from Dublin airport also, so I think SSR capability is required to manouver there (this isn't just mode S extended squitter, commonly refered to as ADS-B and the type that gives out GPS co-ordinantes that make it easier to track) it can be just normal mode S, or simpler modes like A/C.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

ED E wrote: »
    The ICG fleet show up on AIS all the time (within range) but only on ADS when above a certain alt. Or so I thought?

EI-ICS is the only one in the fleet with an ADS-B transponder. It will show on FR24 whenever it’s broadcasting and is picked up by a single FR24 receiver. The others all have Mode S transponders, which don’t broadcast location information. This requires multiple FR24 receivers to pick up the same signal to calculate the position. This is more likely when the aircraft is higher, and more likely to be in line of sight of multiple receivers.

As you say they all have AIS transponders also for marine use, which broadcast position similarly to ADS-B

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Garda helicopter E272 currently visible on FR24 above Ballymun. Seems to be fitted with ADS-B now

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

It is probably in stealth mode when it is dropping somebody home or they are going for a pizza .

Advertisement