Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ARE you going to vote

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Ficheall wrote: »
    I hope you spend more than half an hour researching to whom you are going to give your vote.

Of course, not doing the homework first would be equally irresponsible.
    Ficheall wrote: »
    Like what? And how would it be achieved?

Depends on the scenario. But let's say next election 10% or 100,000 votes (optimistic turnout, probably) are spoiled. The vast majority of pictures of said votes are scrawled with "FG are ruining the country" or something similar, a sentiment which would probably be combined with large scale protests.

The national scandal alone would bring the government down.

If it didn't international embarrassment would topple it or at least force the government of the day to address whatever issue(s) had caused the result.

Yes, I will be voting. I love a good ol' vote, so very rarely get the chance to do it. If Switzerland wasn't so damn expensive I'd quite like to move there so I could vote on things more often!

For Euro elections I'll be voting Soc Dems #1. The rest of my top 5 will be a mix of Green, Labour and Independents, haven't finalised the order yet. Nobody who supports a so-called "Irexit" (terrible, terrible name!) will be getting any preference for me. Nor will any anti-abortion and/or anti-vaccine quacks.

For local elections there are only 7 candidates running for 5 seats in my area, and one of those 7 is Renua so there are only 6 real candidates! I'll be voting Green #1, Labour #2, FF #3 and FG #4,#5 and #6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Yes, I will be voting. I love a good ol' vote, so very rarely get the chance to do it. If Switzerland wasn't so damn expensive I'd quite like to move there so I could vote on things more often!

For Euro elections I'll be voting Soc Dems #1. The rest of my top 5 will be a mix of Green, Labour and Independents, haven't finalised the order yet. Nobody who supports a so-called "Irexit" (terrible, terrible name!) will be getting any preference for me. Nor will any anti-abortion and/or anti-vaccine quacks.

For local elections there are only 7 candidates running for 5 seats in my area, and one of those 7 is Renua so there are only 6 real candidates! I'll be voting Green #1, Labour #2, FF #3 and FG #4,#5 and #6.

Don't make it a policies thread, it wasn't asking who.

I will vote, mostly out of habit/ the novelty of it.

I am confident it won't make the slightest difference, and I wouldn't blame anyone who doesn't.

The often-repeated notion that not voting negates one's right to complain about the system of government is ludicrous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

After the social Democrat’s coming out and supporting a proven liar yesterday as a candidate??

Really??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I could vote in locals but I didn't register. My problem is that I have a very poor understanding of the local politics and I don't see myself being able to make an informed decision.
    Somehow it feels wrong voting in an election as a non-citizen who still is in the process of figuring the politics in this country out. I think it's "too early" for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Many councils are fairly cash strapped and will be irregardless of who's voted in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Many councils are fairly cash strapped and will be irregardless of who's voted in.

Maybe down the country but all the Dublin councils built mausoleums to themselves over the past few years and now throw money at every twee social experiment and folly that’s presented to them.

Maybe down the country but all the Dublin councils built mausoleums to themselves over the past few years and now throw money at every twee social experiment and folly that’s presented to them.

Wow, sounds like quite the orgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭TheDavester

wonder will the #hometovote brigade show up or is it not a trendy vote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I'm voting Whig

After the social Democrat’s coming out and supporting a proven liar yesterday as a candidate??

Really??
    It's called progress.

The Soc Dems only made her a local election candidate.
    Fine Gael would have put her in the Seanad.
    Sinn Féin would have put her on the Army Council, er, I mean Ard Comhairle.
    Fianna Fáil would have made her party leader.

Labour, the only party with the capacity to alienate absolutely everybody, would probably have spurned her also, in fairness.

Don't make it a policies thread, it wasn't asking who.

Not trying to make it into anything, I just felt like sharing who I was choosing. Whether others wish to do the same or not doesn't bother me.

Really??

I'll leave it up to the electors in that candidate's area to judge their suitability. I'm looking at a national/European perspective and the Social.Democrats are who I'd ideologically align with most. It's unlikely that their candidate will win a seat but thankfully the PR system allows some flexibility in being able to vote how you really feel rather than feeling constrained to vote tactically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Divorce referendum is on the same say as local elections

C'mon, Divorce Referendum!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

#Vote early and vote often. :p

Fairly sure I'll vote independent. There's one in my constituency and I feel like he's a genuinely good guy and always wants the best for Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

I'd like negative voting introduced. It would definitely improve turnout. There's more candidates that I dislike than I like. Stick a -1 beside the one you dislike most. Not sure how it could work under pr.

I'd like negative voting introduced. It would definitely improve turnout. There's more candidates that I dislike than I like. Stick a -1 beside the one you dislike most. Not sure how it could work under pr.

You can do that anyway if it make you feel better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I'll vote and have done for each election I'm allowed to participate in. I'll vote for whatever left wing candidates are available, who will then not get anywhere near getting elected, but it keeps me out of mischief for 5 minutes.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Just me or is there a real lack of information available on the candidates running in both the European & Local elections this time around?

Living in Dublin 14, no one at all has called to the at all, max 5 leaflets in the door, very limited info on social media or elsewhere online.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

LirW wrote: »
    I could vote in locals but I didn't register. My problem is that I have a very poor understanding of the local politics and I don't see myself being able to make an informed decision.
    Somehow it feels wrong voting in an election as a non-citizen who still is in the process of figuring the politics in this country out. I think it's "too early" for me.

What side was your great grandfather on in the civil war?

Doesn't matter if he didnt live here, which side would he have been on :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

#Vote early and vote often. :p

Fairly sure I'll vote independent. There's one in my constituency and I feel like he's a genuinely good guy and always wants the best for Cork.

Yeah if i vote I'll only vote independents myself,they usually seem the least slimy unlike most of the others

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

My two young sons think one of the candidates looks like a hamster.

I’m going to vote for that guy based on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

If you don't vote you can't complain.

Never missed an election/ref yet. Not intending to start.

I would tend to agree with George Carlin on this view....
    Now, some people like to twist that around. They say, “If you don’t vote, you have no right to complain”, but where’s the logic in that? If you vote, and you elect dishonest, incompetent politicians, and they get into office and screw everything up, you are responsible for what they have done. You voted them in. You caused the problem. You have no right to complain.

I, on the other hand, who did not vote — who did not even leave the house on Election Day — am in no way responsible for that these politicians have done and have every right to complain about the mess that you created. That I didn’t have anything to do with.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,997 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I would tend to agree with George Carlin on this view....

George was a comedian.

And he wasn't talking about complaining about politics and politicians per se, he was talking about the right to complain about what other voters did.
    Which you can do until the cows come home, for all the good it will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

I told a politician that stop signs were needed at the top of our road.badly needed.that was about 4 weeks ago.got a letter this morning saying they'd be in before the election date.ill be giving him my vote that's for sure.
    So yes ill be voting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

cena wrote: »
    As the title says, well you be voting on May 24?

I'd say yes, but I'll likely forget.
    No idea who any if them are or what they represent.

I avoid the posters, and sing answer the door to anyone who's coming to look for a vote.

At the end of the day, its nit that important, nit much will change, it hasn't in the 37 years I have been on this planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

This is going to be the first time in 18 years that I'm not going to bother to vote.

I'm completely disenfranchised with all the parties in relation to their performance and the people they are putting forward for election.

It's the same old story, My father voted for his father, political dynasty's, etc.

They all promise change, but has any party genuinely delivered any real change in the last 18 years?

Terrance Flanagan his back running for Fine Gael in my area despite having left FG to join Renua a couple of years back.
    FG welcomed him back with open arms as they know he'll get elected.... It doesn't matter what he did...

Lowry, a tax evader and convicted criminal gets elected every time.

It's getting to the stage now that you can't get elected in Kerry now unless your surname is Healy-Rae.

Irish Politics is a Joke, we have the worst politicians in the world. (this has been noticed abroad)
    It's getting to the point where the people running the country should be selected the same way a Jury is.
    Take a random pool of X people from each constituency, fill out the "About me" section and then those people run for election, if they wish.
    They'd mostly be normal people, they'd do a far better job than the politicians we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

grahambo wrote: »

Irish Politics is a Joke, we have the worst politicians in the world. (this has been noticed abroad)
    It's getting to the point where the people running the country should be selected the same way a Jury is.
    Take a random pool of X people from each constituency, fill out the "About me" section and then those people run for election, if they wish.
    They'd mostly be normal people, they'd do a far better job than the politicians we have.

Worse than communists in North Korea or in china where they have given themselves jobs for life. Worse than Hungary and poland where far right politics has seen all the institutions of power crumble, worse than the dictators in sub Saharan Africa who do anything to stay in power, worse than the crazed Islamic leaders in Syria or Saudi Arabia who murder their own countrymen?

I don't like many of our politicians but at least there is co-operation between parties and not the insane partisan polices which we see in the states tearing that country apart. Bribery and corruption is illegal if found out in Ireland..in the states it's basically encouraged as huge corporations, special interest groups and the NRA buy political votes.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

grahambo wrote:
    Irish Politics is a Joke, we have the worst politicians in the world. (this has been noticed abroad) It's getting to the point where the people running the country should be selected the same way a Jury is. Take a random pool of X people from each constituency, fill out the "About me" section and then those people run for election, if they wish. They'd mostly be normal people, they'd do a far better job than the politicians we have.

A quick look across the Irish sea... yeah not the worst.
    Looks again across the Atlantic... Yep, certainly not the worst!

Irish politics has many flaws but to say they're the worst when you have basket case governments in the UK and US is bizarre.

As for the question, yes I'll be voting. Have my number 1 decided on just need to determine if I want to give any preferences at all. Usually I do but theres a couple (particularly in my local area) who are beyond useless that I dont want to support. And SF of course :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

grahambo wrote: »
    This is going to be the first time in 18 years that I'm not going to bother to vote.

I'm completely disenfranchised with all the parties in relation to their performance and the people they are putting forward for election.

It's the same old story, My father voted for his father, political dynasty's, etc.

They all promise change, but has any party genuinely delivered any real change in the last 18 years?

Terrance Flanagan his back running for Fine Gael in my area despite having left FG to join Renua a couple of years back.
    FG welcomed him back with open arms as they know he'll get elected.... It doesn't matter what he did...

Lowry, a tax evader and convicted criminal gets elected every time.

It's getting to the stage now that you can't get elected in Kerry now unless your surname is Healy-Rae.

What did Terence Flanagan do????

Advertisement