Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

McNabney has been good. He's lining out at 6. McAnn has been somewhat disappointing. He's not kicked on yet. Still time for him. I've no idea what's going on with Wilson. I hope he's still playing rugby. Tom Stewart has been great. So there are success stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Stewart is a class act, he will play for Ireland for sure, obviously Sheehan and Kelleher are there, but he will get chances and then it is up to him to take them.

Sheridan is on the right trajectory, we'll see how far or high that is over the next year or so.

There is still time for McCann for sure, but the signing of Ewers doesn't bode well for him.

McNabney is obviously a big hope, he certainly looksike a powerful carrier, but we need to see him get a game for Ulster. Doubt it will happen until next season. Hopefully he isn't another Azur Allison who I assume is gone now?

The other young lad we need to see is Jude Postelwaite (obviously not a forward).

So since 2000. Ulster have produced Stewart. McAnn and it's looking likely Sheridan will be contracted. With McLaugjlin and McNabney still to come? It's not enough, imo, but a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Since 2000? There's a few other names you can add to the list.

• Administrators Posts: 53,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ferris and Pollock for example, both early retirees.

• Advertisement

Henderson, Henry, Best etc I assume Dub maybe meant 2020?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Pretty sure he was listing Ulster produced forwards in the senior squad, born in or after 2000.

Sorry for the fat fingers. 2020.

I think you'd include Rea in that, and maybe Reid, although we need him to kick on.

• Advertisement

Actually, reading this morning that Scott Wilson only moved to the front row in his last year in school - was a centre before that. Was the 24th man for the La Rochelle game. Hopefully he starts featuring sooner rather than later.

15-9): Mike Lowry, Ben Moxham, James Hume, Stewart Moore, Jacob Stockdale, Billy Burns, Nathan Doak;

(1-8): Rory Sutherland, Rob Herring (Captain), Jeff Toomaga-Allen, Kieran Treadwell, Sam Carter, Dave McCann, Marcus Rea, Nick Timoney.

Replacements: Tom Stewart, Callum Reid, Gareth Milasinovich, Alan O’Connor, Harry Sheridan, John Cooney, Jude Postlethwaite, Ethan McIlroy.

Good, strong bench, for the most part. Rea back off the naughty step and Reid and Postlethwaite on the bench. It's a strong enough Cardiff team as well, though. Will be disappointed if we don't come away with four points.

Not winning this would be bad.

This must be the first time in ages that we've had a backrow of 3 Ulster academy players?

True! Last lot might have been Henry/Wilson/Henderson maybe?

Ulster Academy pack:

Warwick / Stewart / O'Toole

Henderson / Sheridan or Izzy

McCann or Sheridan / Timoney / Rea

actually very decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Postlethwaite! Excited to see him play.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wikidy

Is Doak now consistently picked ahead of Cooney?

Not really, he hasn't leapfrogged Cooney if that's what you're asking. They're just trying to give him as much game time as they can at the moment. Cooney will definitely start against Leinster for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭launish116

A case of Cooney brought on to close games out? maximise Doak's exposure

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

That's a great score from Stockdale.

Long time coming, hoping that is the try that reunites his confidence with his skill!

• Advertisement

He looked dangerous with the ball tonight and had one really good catch under pressure.

That said he was heavily responsible for 2 tries that Cardiff tonight.

Still, you have to hope the try will have done him the world of good.

Doak was excellent, Billy Burns went well.

I thought Dave McCann had a really strong game. Some nice carries and great hands. Rea was a constant nuisance at the breakdown and I still have no idea why he was sent Ballynahinch for a while.

I think Moore and Hume work quite nicely together, we probably don't see that pairing enough.

That was a nice cameo from Postelwaite. There was one passage of play where he was involved three times, making yards and showing a couple of nice offloads. One kick straight into touch that may annoy him, but if nothing else it maybe shows he has a kicking game.

Every year there is the wailing that we peak too early. Maybe this season, were shaping up just as it becomes important?

McCann had a good game, definitely more suited to hard pitch, free flowing! Other forums were saying he had fallen down pecking order due to his line out work. Irony being he seemed to be used the majority of the night for jumper.

Cardiff offered literally no turnover threat, which worried me with fan our defence initially.

Round of applause for that scrum were we absolutely man shamed them!

Still can’t understand how Carter is so weak in the carry.

Carter obviously brings something to the team...leadership I assume which is hard for supporters to measure...I think it's been said in the past that he is a key component to our maul, and there is no doubt t we have a very effective maul...but again that isn't obvious unless you're part of the system. But elsewhere he seems a bit militar medium which isn't really what we want from a NIQ.

On McCann, if he can play like that every week he'd be in the team, or at the very least the 23 for all the big matches.

Nice to see McCann, Sheridan and Stewart all playing well. Also O'Toole is going great guns with Ireland which is encouraging. We still need to see it consistently before getting over excited.

No doubt a nice wee core of home grown forwards brewing.

Give Sheridan a decent senior pre-season and he'll push on. He is a right lump and seems to have a very good work rate.

Big opportunities at 6/8 going forward for the young lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

He got everything just right there. Tremendous skill. Let’s hope he’s coming back to his best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Thought that was an enjoyable schools final taking the conditions into account, and the last few minutes were incredibly tense.

I've heard the our sides haven't stacked up so well against the schools from down south and we have very few involved with Ireland u18's this year, but there are a few players there who could be lining up for the u20's in a years time. I suspect the 3 and 8 from RBAI as well as the 15 from Campbell are likely academy entries either this intake or the next one.

Campbell 15 looked very dangerous as the game went on and had an incredible semifinal. Looks strong and picks the perfect moments to pass. The back three (from what I've seen and heard) will be competitive enough in his year group but he should pick up Ireland u20 caps. The Campbell 3 was okay as well and has the size but didn't impact the game like his opposite number.

RBAI 3 was very good, the timing of his runs and his strength in contact were great. He started a couple games for Ireland u18's so should be there or thereabouts when the u20's come around. Campbell just couldn't deal with RBAI's 8 today, he was difficult to bring down and had tidy handling. Unfortunate for him that's he's in the same group as Gleeson who's starting for the u20's this year and will be competing with Sheehan (currently involved with the u20's as well) and whatever other backrower is next off the conveyor belt in leinster next year. Might be too competitive but he had an incredible game.

Inst No. 8 was Bryn Ward - Andy's son, unless I'm mistaken?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

I seem to remember Jim Neilly mentioning a capped father or grandfather, so odds are you're spot on.

The match is available on BBC iplayer if anyone fancies it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭ljsulster

Boyd and Kenny were excellent and will both be in the academy and u20s next year.

Ward is unlucky to be competing with not just Gleeson but also his provincial teammate in Foyle college’s James Mckillop who is an absolutely superb backrower. Feels really strange to be talking about a multitude of excellent back rows coming through ulster

Advertisement