Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord Mayors to close

Options
  • 27-04-2019 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,262 ✭✭✭

Sad news today that the Lord Mayors pub is to close with the loss of 26 jobs, and a bit of an iconic pub in north County Dublin :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

And not enough left in the pot to pay even statutory redundancy according to the papers. Sad indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Might be some truth in the JC's / Dunnes rumour after all...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Might be some truth in the JC's / Dunnes rumour after all...

Aye, all owned by the Savage's, shame it wasn't a bad pub for a lunch or whatever, never went there of an evening, but the Well seemed decent enough and was quite popular the few weekend lunchtimes I popped in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It's very sad about the Lord Mayor's, I wonder if it'll continue to be a pub or whether the land it's on will be developed. It's owned by a different branch of the Savages, JC's brother owned it before he too died.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭selassie

If the old schoolhouse can expand and open the chalk bar you'd have to say it's down to mismanagement that the lord mayor's has failed. Big pub with multiple floors on sword's main street, with a competent owner it'd be thriving and if it stays a pub and changes hands I'd say it will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭plodder

https://www.herald.ie/news/iconic-lord-mayors-pub-to-close-with-loss-of-27-jobs-38054812.html

That's very sad. I'd say a lot of money was spent when they renovated to open the Well. Have to say though when we were going out, we'd generally go to School House ahead of it as the buzz just seemed better there because it was bigger and more relaxed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

On the Swords Businesses Facebook page:
    With the imminent closure of the Lord Mayors pub in Swords, Indie Spice, Gourmet Food Parlour and The Grand Hotel are asking for Lord Mayors staff to contact them for possible employment opportunities.

Thank you so much for looking out for your neighbouring businesses and their staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

It's very sad about the Lord Mayor's, I wonder if it'll continue to be a pub or whether the land it's on will be developed.

I'm sure it's listed, it looks like a very old building. I feel sad for the staff and hope they get sorted soon. It always struck me that the pub had a lot of unrealised potential and was poorly managed, it lacked any kind of atmosphere and was often half empty.

No it's definitely not listed. Someone posted a list of all the protected structures in the North County on a Swords Facebook page and it's not on it. It was a very dated pub and I don't know anyone who drank there regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Never found the Guinness to be great there. And there's a much better atmosphere in the Schoolhouse. That said, I hope all employees are looked after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Sad to see this go. It was my local and one of the only places in Swords that wasn't overcrowded and/or blaring music at the weekends. Loved a good pint there with friends each weekend where we could actually talk. Then again that's probably why it's closing. Guarantee it'll be turned into expensive apartments :(

Surprised its not listed per some of the people's posts above, 350 year old thatched dwelling that certainly plays its part of shaping the look of the Village as you enter it from the South end, much like the castle does from the North end. I would not like to see it turned into apartments and the like, myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

Totally agree with the above post.

However, I have heard that the wall at the front which partially runs down Church Road cannot be touched as that is historic.

One thing I don't really understand is that there us surely enough room where the car park is alone to build those apartments and leave the pub where it is to be bought by another publican?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

http://www.mainstreetswordsshd.com/

And less than a year after it closes .....

Edit - link fixed

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

www.mainstreetswordsshd.com

Link doesn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

172 apartments in place of the Lord Mayors. It was inevitable. They actually look nice.

I’m guessing they will all be build to rent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,262 ✭✭✭Homer

Edit - link fixed

What exactly are you proposing be done with the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Homer wrote: »
    What exactly are you proposing be done with the site?

Me?? I’m not proposing anything be done to the site.
    Ii’m Just posting the link for information purposes as I came across it today and thought people might be interested as it was a feature of this thread when it was announced that it was closing

I think it's great - that whole corner is a wasteland and the new buildings will be a huge improvement in my opinion :)

I think it's great - that whole corner is a wasteland and the new buildings will be a huge improvement in my opinion :)

I disagree its a Swords landmark, work should be done to accommodate it into a new business, not level it, and put up a load of concrete apartments. Traffic is brutal getting in and out of there as it stands, this is going to make it infinitely worse.

Traffic is becoming a major issue in Swords now, due to the way the town happens to lie topographically. Everyone comes in from the M1 or the old N1 and there are very limited ways to access Applewood, Glen Ellen, Millers Glen at the one end, and Boraimhe, River Valley etc. at the other end of the Town. There are very few roads from the Malahide M1 side to the residential side to the west and it only gets worse as each year goes by.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Agree

Inquitus wrote: »
    I disagree its a Swords landmark, work should be done to accommodate it into a new business, not level it, and put up a load of concrete apartments. Traffic is brutal getting in and out of there as it stands, this is going to make it infinitely worse.

Traffic is becoming a major issue in Swords now, due to the way the town happens to lie topographically. Everyone comes in from the M1 or the old N1 and there are very limited ways to access Applewood, Glen Ellen, Millers Glen at the one end, and Boraimhe, River Valley etc. at the other end of the Town. There are very few roads from the Malahide M1 side to the residential side to the west and it only gets worse as each year goes by.

What are you on about?

There are three exits from the m1 between the airport and donabate exits and multiple routes to take?

Stheno wrote: »
    What are you on about?

There are three exits from the m1 between the airport and donabate exits and multiple routes to take?

You can only get to Applewood area from the Rathbeale road or via Glen Ellen Road.

You can only access Boraimhe and River Valley from Airside or the Lord Mayors turning.

I live in Glen Ellan and work in Airside business park, it used to take me 5-10 mins, now it can take 20-30 especially in the evenings.

There are very few routes from the M1 / Old N1 to the residential parts of Swords.

You can only get to Applewood area from the Rathbeale road or via Glen Ellen Road.

You can only access Boraimhe and River Valley from Airside or the Lord Mayors turning.

I live in Glen Ellan and work in Airside business park, it used to take me 5-10 mins, now it can take 20-30 especially in the evenings.

There are very few routes from the M1 / Old N1 to the residential parts of Swords.

So that's multiple routes for each for which there are multiple access points. I used live near Glen Ellen, you could go up the Manor and down to the crossroads as well.

I don't suppose you've considered how the closure of rathbeale road has affected this? Or the fact you don't seem to know your area very well?

Stheno wrote: »
    So that's multiple routes for each for which there are multiple access points. I used live near Glen Ellen, you could go up the Manor and down to the crossroads as well.

I don't suppose you've considered how the closure of rathbeale road has affected this? Or the fact you don't seem to know your area very well?

The closure of the Rathbeale Road doesn't make a significant difference, my times to and from work pre-date that work, and don't seem to have a big impact beyond dropping kids to the schools in the impacted area at those specific times, maybe you don't know much about things since you moved out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Or crossing Jugback lane.

Glen Ellen Road has easy access from Estuary Roundabout, and you can also go in around Emmaus and along the Balheary road to join it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I think it's great too, that corner is a wasteland. Apart from the obvious, contributing to fixing the housing crisis, there's huge potential there to open public access to the River valley park. The devil is in the detail as usual, but I'm sure the planners will be extra careful given it's such a prominent location.

The proposed Western Distributor road should improve traffic in the Applewood Glen Ellan area ... when it's built.

plodder wrote: »
    I think it's great too, that corner is a wasteland. Apart from the obvious, contributing to fixing the housing crisis, there's huge potential there to open public access to the River valley park. The devil is in the detail as usual, but I'm sure the planners will be extra careful given it's such a prominent location.

The proposed Western Distributor road should improve traffic in the Applewood Glen Ellan area ... when it's built.

I'd be happy if they left the original thatched buildings and used all the ground behind and the carpark for housing personally. I think the thatched building is almost as iconic to Swords as the Castle at the other end.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 pow_pow

Yes, while I like the new designs and use of land, it'd have been nice to try incorporate the thatch building into, maybe even leaving it as a bar.

• Advertisement

I'd be happy if they left the original thatched buildings and used all the ground behind and the carpark for housing personally. I think the thatched building is almost as iconic to Swords as the Castle at the other end.
    It is a nice building, though not in the same league as the castle imo, but keeping it would mean losing one of the three blocks and as far as I know it's not listed. So, I don't see it happening..

Advertisement