Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on my daily breakfast

Options
  • 26-04-2019 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

HI all,
    every morning i blitz up the following for a morning shake:
    2 cups of Spinach
    Banana
    Tea spoon of 'crunchy' peanut butter (no additives 100% pure)
    1 serving of protein powder
    Top it up with approx 200ml of Almond Milk

this is taken with a cod liver oil capsul (1000mg) and a glucosamine tablet and a small black coffee

Im just wondering is this in any way of benefit to me? Ive been doing it for about 2.5 years 5 mornings a week with scrambled eggs the other two mornings.

Any advice would be welcome regarding the benefits of it for a 44 yr old male, with no overlying health issues (apart from a dad belly)
    Thnks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

In and of itself, its perfectly fine but you can't judge one element of what you eat in an average day in isolation.

I might ask if the tuna salad I had for lunch was a good choice. It was pretty decent but the breakfast roll on the way to work and pizza and chips for dinner washed down with milk means lunch isn't the issue.

The full picture is your whole day and what you eat in that whole day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

In and of itself, its perfectly fine but you can't judge one element of what you eat in an average day in isolation.

I might ask if the tuna salad I had for lunch was a good choice. It was pretty decent but the breakfast roll on the way to work and pizza and chips for dinner washed down with milk means lunch isn't the issue.

The full picture is your whole day and what you eat in that whole day.

Appreciate the reply.
    Lunch: usually an omelette with bacon and a side salad/ or a chicken type pasta (small)

Dinner changers every day as I’m cooking for the family, but ale ways are limited to 2 or 3 a month and it’s aleays fresh produce... never frozen meals.

I drink about two liters of water a day, never juice or fizzy stuff but have 2/3 coffees and 1 cup of tea around 9 at night

I play 5 aside once a week and martial arts also once a week.

My work is 70/30 sitting /standing but I spend 3 hours in my car most days commuting

Essentially I want to lose the belly, build some muscle and be generally more toned whilst increasing my health.
    Any/all tips would be appreciated

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Honestly you would be better having a bowl of porridge with a few berries.
    That's some concoction you have for breakfast keep it simple with diet

Honestly you would be better having a bowl of porridge with a few berries.
    That's some concoction you have for breakfast keep it simple with diet

It's a smoothie. It is pretty simple.

It's a smoothie. It is pretty simple.

Porridge would be more beneficial and nutritional.

• Advertisement

Appreciate the reply.
    Lunch: usually an omelette with bacon and a side salad/ or a chicken type pasta (small)

Dinner changers every day as I’m cooking for the family, but ale ways are limited to 2 or 3 a month and it’s aleays fresh produce... never frozen meals.

I drink about two liters of water a day, never juice or fizzy stuff but have 2/3 coffees and 1 cup of tea around 9 at night

I play 5 aside once a week and martial arts also once a week.

My work is 70/30 sitting /standing but I spend 3 hours in my car most days commuting

Essentially I want to lose the belly, build some muscle and be generally more toned whilst increasing my health.
    Any/all tips would be appreciated

Would be no harm just getting a feel for how much you're getting on board as regards calories by using MyFitnessPal for a bit.

As regards exercise and muscle, you will have to look at how to incorporate some resistance training.

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Debateable

Cake Man wrote: »
    Debateable

Porridge eaten consistently every day for breakfast will much better overall than slipping in and out of the latest craze in protein slushies.
    Porridge is the original super food

Porridge eaten consistently every day for breakfast will much better overall than slipping in and out of the latest craze in protein slushies.

His 2.5 year craze?

Nothing against porridge. I like it. Nothing wrong with what the OP has either. Plenty of micronutrients as well so not sure what th3 basis for porridge being more beneficial and 'nutritional' is, per se.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 suttree31

Im just wondering is this in any way of benefit to me? Ive been doing it for about 2.5 years 5 mornings a week with scrambled eggs the other two mornings.

...I mean, really?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Would be no harm just getting a feel for how much you're getting on board as regards calories by using MyFitnessPal for a bit.

As regards exercise and muscle, you will have to look at how to incorporate some resistance training.

Thanks. Any suggestions on resistance training I can do without a gym membership and the frequency I need to do it per week for example?
    Cheers

Advertisement