Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Fees - Top Courses in Ireland

Options
  • 26-04-2019 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭

I follow the lads on the No Laying up podcast (its some great stuff btw) and they are currently on the West Coast playing some of our best courses.

The green fees have skyrocketed this year it seems. Now as Irish golfers, we wouldn't be paying full whack (but the days of getting to these places for under €100 are well gone), but did a little digging and here are some of the current prices:

Adare: €375 and you have to take a caddy (€75)
    Old Head: €350
    Tralee: €230
    Lahinch: €230
    Ballybunion: €230
    Waterville: €230
    Doonbeg: €200
    Ballyliffin: €200
    Portmarnock: €200
    Rosses Point: €175
    Island: €175

Yet two of my favourites are probably better courses than most but massively cheaper and also hold opens.

Carne: €110
    Enniscrone: €125

Eye watering stuff!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭paulanthony

I recall some of these have "GUI rates" (eg I definitely paid something like €65 in Rosses Point a few years ago when the stated green fee was maybe €140/50).

Does anyone know whether some of these courses do still have these rates? A lot of the courses allude to this but don't publish these rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Carne rate is €60 for GUI golfers, Enniscrone is probably similar. they also run open competitions from time to time and you can play them even cheaper. I don't think the exclusive courses like Adare and old head have the GUI rates however.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

Murvagh in Donegal is €30 with a member, €60 without and roughly €100 without a GUI (ie American tourists). They had to increase their green fee to attract tourists. They don't feel a course is worth playing unless its got a high green fee. Crazy! That's a course I love and rate with some of the best in the country

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Do you just call the clubs to get the GUI rate? I was looking to play in Enniscrone in May (the day before a work society) as i'll be there early, but didn't fancy paying €125 for a round on a Tuesday (or any day tbh).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Kiith wrote: »
    Do you just call the clubs to get the GUI rate? I was looking to play in Enniscrone in May (the day before a work society) as i'll be there early, but didn't fancy paying €125 for a round on a Tuesday (or any day tbh).

Sea point (not a big course I know) you have to ring for the GUI rate of €35

Killarney is the same rate for GUI and can be a lot more during the year for walk ins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I imagine you'd get out on all of them (with the exception of Adare and old head for a fraction of the above prices if you box clever(opens/online deals). The high prices are just to "attract" tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Ballyliffin regularly hold opens on both courses. You’d get out for €30-€40 in one of those rather than the quoted €200.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Those are rack rates, you can get out way cheaper, Ballyliffin - I played both of them after the open last year, €70 GUI rate.
    Played Rosses plenty of times, never more than €40

I played Carne last year for €30, Enniscrone for €40 and I think it was €45 to play Doonbeg

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Ardglass had issues with this. Their rack rate was around 30 sterling and the yanks wouldn't travel up there because it was so cheap. Mad really so they upped the rack rate prices and yanks are flooding in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,704 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

dar_cool wrote: »
    Ardglass had issues with this. Their rack rate was around 30 sterling and the yanks wouldn't travel up there because it was so cheap. Mad really so they upped the rack rate prices and yanks are flooding in.

I've heard a similar story about dooks.

I wish these clubs were more transparent about their rates for GUI members.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Look up golfnet open days .
    Great value to get to play some of irelands top courses .

Waterville do a GUI rate too, dropped in when passing two years ago and it was €60 for a late afternoon Summer tee time

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mikepajero182

Always phone and ask for gui rates. Unfortunately Americans will not want to play a course in Ireland if they see it advertised for less than 3 figures. They will think there is something wrong with the course.
    Ive played Enniscrone for 35, ballybunion and tralee for 50, royal county down for 55 pounds.

A well keyed in Yank would be worthwhile getting a distant membership and GUI card at this rate!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Nobody with half a brain pays those rates.
    As has been mentioned those prices are set for Americans who seem to have a bizarre attitude to green fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,161 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Another course that'll see a price hike in link below. Great course, sounds to be even better now

https://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/news/sport/378301/x-x-y.html

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭rooney30

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Nobody with half a brain pays those rates.
    As has been mentioned those prices are set for Americans who seem to have a bizarre attitude to green fees.

People forget that the majority of these Americans are high net worth individuals who will the staying in the best hotels in the region , and very offen getting a chopper to and from golf course . A hundred or two dollars give or take on a green fee doesn’t even enter their thinking

Mushy wrote: »
    Another course that'll see a price hike in link below. Great course, sounds to be even better now

https://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/news/sport/378301/x-x-y.html

Always on the cards, just like Hogs Head, I doubt they will attract the Yanks though, too isolated and not near another top premium course, just too far off the beaten track

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

rooney30 wrote: »
    People forget that the majority of these Americans are high net worth individuals who will the staying in the best hotels in the region , and very offen getting a chopper to and from golf course . A hundred or two dollars give or take on a green fee doesn’t even enter their thinking
    Whhhaat where is your evidence for the majority of american tourists being of "high net worth"? what is even your criteria for high net worth? the amount of Americans on holidays here intending to play golf and getting choppers to golf courses is IMO more than likely less than 50%. My clubs helipad had only 120 landings last year. The lets rip the yanks off attitude in Irish Golf sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Americans don't look twice at courses under €100.
    They only want to play ballybunion / Tralee / laninch / Waterville / Royal portrush/ portmarnock/ Royal county down / adare manor .
    The mistake people are making on here is seeing it tru your eyes.
    When these Americans travel everything ie hotel/ transfers / green fees / restaurants etc etc is paid by credit card .
    They ARE NOT GOING TO THEIR CREDIT UNION FOR A HOLIDAY LOAN .
    These people move in a different league than most of us .
    I've worked in ashford castle and you could tell the real wealth from people that were just staying as in off the bucket list .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Always phone and ask for gui rates. Unfortunately Americans will not want to play a course in Ireland if they see it advertised for less than 3 figures. They will think there is something wrong with the course.
    Ive played Enniscrone for 35, ballybunion and tralee for 50, royal county down for 55 pounds.
    No doubt there are some american tourists will be attracted to the more expensive courses here, but that sweeping generalization around the entire American golf loving traveling public's repugnance of playing golf in Ireland for less than 100 euro a round has made me realise why there are hundreds of thousands of people trying to climb over that fence in Mexico. i gotta get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

From this years P.G.A. Show

“Each golf visitor from North America is worth up to €1,800 on average to the Irish economy, which is three times more than a leisure visitor – and 80 per cent of their spending is on activities not related to golf.”

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

slave1 wrote: »
    Always on the cards, just like Hogs Head, I doubt they will attract the Yanks though, too isolated and not near another top premium course, just too far off the beaten track

As far as I know Hogs Head was built by Americans for wealthy Americans, is it members and guests only there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

As far as I know Hogs Head was built by Americans for wealthy Americans, is it members and guests only there?

It's a few hundred international members and invite only as far as I remember. Few green fees a year to keep the natives happy. They used to be members of old head and decided to do their own thing. As you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I follow the lads on the No Laying up podcast (its some great stuff btw) and they are currently on the West Coast playing some of our best courses.

The green fees have skyrocketed this year it seems. Now as Irish golfers, we wouldn't be paying full whack (but the days of getting to these places for under €100 are well gone), but did a little digging and here are some of the current prices:

Adare: €375 and you have to take a caddy (€75)
    Old Head: €350
    Tralee: €230
    Lahinch: €230
    Ballybunion: €230
    Waterville: €230
    Doonbeg: €200
    Ballyliffin: €200
    Portmarnock: €200
    Rosses Point: €175
    Island: €175

Yet two of my favourites are probably better courses than most but massively cheaper and also hold opens.

Carne: €110
    Enniscrone: €125

Eye watering stuff!

Rosses Point GUI rate is usually between €60-80 depending on day of week, time of day, season, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I rang up Waterville/Ballybunion last year and there was no GUI rate available. Will be doing our usual West Coast trip this year and would love to play both.

Can anyone advise if there's a secret password to access a GUI rate?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Got Enniscrone for €45 there by calling up and just asking for the GUI rate, so thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,704 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I rang up Waterville/Ballybunion last year and there was no GUI rate available. Will be doing our usual West Coast trip this year and would love to play both.

Can anyone advise if there's a secret password to access a GUI rate?

I'd imagine you'll only get the GUI rate when it suits them ie. on wet Monday morning.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Bally bunion have scratch cups in the summer. Senior is 50 for 36 holes which is great value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

was talking with a guy at the weekend and Waterville quoted him €130 with a GUI card.

Advertisement