Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying tonight during Storm Hannah

Options
  • 26-04-2019 9:59am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭


    I'm supposed to be flying out tonight at 9pm during Storm Hannah from Shannon, so just in the centre of things as they're kicking off.

    I'm wondering what the chances are that the flight will be cancelled and what happens in such a scenario. Will we be put up in a hotel for the night and put on the next available flight?

    Unfortunately for me, I'm sure back Monday and I don't think the next available flight out is til the Monday itself.

    Wondering if its even worth my while making my way to the airport now


«1

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok


    Morby wrote: »
    I'm supposed to be flying out tonight at 9pm during Storm Hannah from Shannon, so just in the centre of things as they're kicking off.

    I'm wondering what the chances are that the flight will be cancelled and what happens in such a scenario. Will we be put up in a hotel for the night and put on the next available flight?

    Unfortunately for me, I'm sure back Monday and I don't think the next available flight out is til the Monday itself.

    Wondering if its even worth my while making my way to the airport now

    The worst of it is forecast around midnight. The biggest worry is probably that your plane doesn’t get in to Shannon to operate the outbound flight, but there’s really no telling how that’ll go until it touches down.

    Not sure what the airline would do for you if the flight didn’t run, but I believe if you don’t turn up for the flight, they aren’t required to do anything for you as you didn’t present to travel (unless you were advised ahead of time that it was cancelled).


  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Morby


    Thank you for responding appreciate it.

    I'll definitely be heading to the airport for the flight anyhow, unless it's cancelled beforehand.

    Just unsure as to what would happen if I end up stuck in the airport with no way home if the buses are cancelled.

    Very hard to know what's going to happen in this situation.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭Storm 10


    The warning for the Shannon area comes into effect from 4pm today until 1am tomorrow so you will be right in the thick of it at the time of your flight, contact your Airline for info or the Airport.



    STATUS ORANGE

    Wind Warning for Clare, Cork, Kerry and Limerick


    Northwesterly winds, associated with Storm Hannah, will reach mean speeds of 65-80 km/h with gusts of 110 to 130 km/h this evening/early tonight.
    Issued:
    Friday 26 April 2019 10:00

    Valid:
    Friday 26 April 2019 16:00 to Saturday 27 April 2019 01:00


  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Morby


    Thanks for that, yes I saw that earlier.

    I've been checking the flight status and checking Ryanair and Shannon Airport regularly for any updates and word of cancellations, but none so far.

    All I can do is keep my arrangements to head to the airport unless I get word that its cancelled before then.

    I'm sure at this stage, best case scenario is that the flight would be delayed, but I can't see them having crew ready to go for midnight or so when it will possibly have calmed a little by then.

    So it's not looking good so far.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭Storm 10


    Morby wrote: »
    Thanks for that, yes I saw that earlier.

    I've been checking the flight status and checking Ryanair and Shannon Airport regularly for any updates and word of cancellations, but none so far.

    All I can do is keep my arrangements to head to the airport unless I get word that its cancelled before then.

    I'm sure at this stage, best case scenario is that the flight would be delayed, but I can't see them having crew ready to go for midnight or so when it will possibly have calmed a little by then.

    So it's not looking good so far.

    Looking worse now as its just gone to a Red warning so I would say flights will be grounded
    STATUS RED

    Wind Warning for Clare


    Northwesterly winds, associated with Storm Hannah, will reach mean speeds in excess of 80km/h with violent gusts of 130 to 150 km/h for a time this evening.
    Issued:
    Friday 26 April 2019 11:00

    Valid:
    Friday 26 April 2019 20:00 to Friday 26 April 2019 23:00


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭Storm 10


    Shannon Airport

    Passenger notice
    Status Orange wind warning for Clare, Cork, Kerry & Limerick Valid from: 16:00 hrs on Friday 26th April to 05:00 hrs Sat 27th April
    Please check your flight status with your airline before making your way to the airport during this time


  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok


    Looking at the forecast again, I don’t know if it’s changed or I misread it earlier, but the peak winds are forecast around 9pm. As above, the warning for Clare has upgraded to Red so they’re advising against unnecessary travel, and it’s up to you to decide.

    I think airlines will generally attempt to run the flight anyway, but if the winds end up as forecast, they’ll have a hard time landing in Shannon. You could contact them, but I expect their advice will be that it’s up to you whether you want to travel to the airport, and they still plan to run the flight, though it could change.

    Not the most helpful I know but all bets are off with that weather on the way.


  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Morby


    Thanks guys, appreciate you replying.

    I've been constantly checking the weather updates.

    Flight is still currently scheduled as being "on time" but I know that's liable to change at any moment.

    Was planning on getting a 5pm bus to the airport (if those aren't cancelled or disrupted) to make sure I'm there well on time and to give myself extra time in case of delays.

    I don't fancy getting there however only for the flight to be cancelled with no way of getting home if the buses are cancelled.

    Do the airlines put you up in a hotel for the night if this happens?


  • Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd


    You wont be flying tonight, as soon as a red warning is issued everything stops.
    Flights within the red time will be cancelled, buses etc will all come off the road early.

    Basically while in red nothing moves


  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Morby


    Oh dear, is this a definite that all flights are grounded while Status Red is active?

    If the flight is scheduled for 9pm,what are the chances of it being delayed until say midnight or so?

    Any chance of it taking off later?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon


    Morby wrote: »
    Oh dear, is this a definite that all flights are grounded while Status Red is active?

    If the flight is scheduled for 9pm,what are the chances of it being delayed until say midnight or so?

    Any chance of it taking off later?

    Go to the airport. Is it the east Midlands flight?


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo


    Hey Morby. Winds expected to gust up to 66 knots at Shannon between 7pm and 9pm this evening slowly easing towards midnight. Those winds are out of limits for the aircraft.


  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Morby


    Thanks guys.

    Just in a bit of a dilemma as to what to do now.

    Do I make my way extra early to the airport in case of delays on the roads to ensure I'm there in plenty of time only for it to be cancelled once I'm there or en route, and possibly risk having to spend the night in the airport if I can't make it back.

    Or do I play it safe and stay at home only to find out later that the flight took off as scheduled, or a bit delayed, just fine and without me on it and lose out on all the associated costs such as hotels and transport that's already paid for and non refundable.

    It's a tough call, I'm in a genuine dilemma as to what to do.

    All I can do for now is play it by ear.

    Not a major worry in the grand scheme of life, tis but a mere inconvenience in the big picture, still very frustrating however being left in limbo not knowing what to do.


  • Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd


    Morby wrote: »
    Thanks guys.

    Just in a bit of a dilemma as to what to do now.

    Do I make my way extra early to the airport in case of delays on the roads to ensure I'm there in plenty of time only for it to be cancelled once I'm there or en route, and possibly risk having to spend the night in the airport if I can't make it back.

    Or do I play it safe and stay at home only to find out later that the flight took off as scheduled, or a bit delayed, just fine and without me on it and lose out on all the associated costs such as hotels and transport that's already paid for and non refundable.

    It's a tough call, I'm in a genuine dilemma as to what to do.

    All I can do for now is play it by ear.

    Not a major worry in the grand scheme of life, tis but a mere inconvenience in the big picture, still very frustrating however being left in limbo not knowing what to do.

    It's a red warning as mentioned everything is stopped. There's no way that flight is going anywhere tonight.

    Your airline might even position aircraft away from Shannon and into Dublin for the night.

    As mentioned the forecast is well out of limits. Contact the airline to rebook.

    3 people died the last time we had a red warning, no airline will risk flying during this


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭GBX


    Flights cancelled from Shannon already - via Facebook:

    Aer Lingus flights EI 386 to LHR at 17.20 and flight EI 387 from LHR at 21.00 are now both cancelled.

    We advise passengers to contact their airline directly to check their flight status.

    We will continue to update passengers across our social channels.

    #stormhannah


  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Morby


    It's a red warning as mentioned everything is stopped. There's no way that flight is going anywhere tonight.

    Your airline might even position aircraft away from Shannon and into Dublin for the night.

    As mentioned the forecast is well out of limits. Contact the airline to rebook.

    3 people died the last time we had a red warning, no airline will risk flying during this

    Not doubting you at all, but is it a definite that once its Status Red all flights are grounded?

    I can't seem to find any info online. I thought that they were normally on a case by case basis?

    Again, not doubting you at all and I appreciate you replying and the information, it's just making it a really hard call as to whether to leave for the airport or not.

    If I thought all flights would be grounded that would be my decision made, but if I'm at the airport there may be some hope of it taking off, albeit late.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭GBX


    Contact the Airline. What flight is it? Flight number?


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon


    Morby wrote: »
    Not doubting you at all, but is it a definite that once its Status Red all flights are grounded?

    I can't seem to find any info online. I thought that they were normally on a case by case basis?

    Again, not doubting you at all and I appreciate you replying and the information, it's just making it a really hard call as to whether to leave for the airport or not.

    If I thought all flights would be grounded that would be my decision made, but if I'm at the airport there may be some hope of it taking off, albeit late.

    Where are you travelling from?

    I have worked in the airport during storms and I think you should make your way to the airport for about 8ish. A decision will have been made by then.


  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Morby


    I've been into Ryanair but they're very reluctant to give any info, which is understandable, just that's its currently scheduled but if its cancelled they'll email everyone affected.

    It's the 9pm to East Midlands.

    I was planning leaving a lot earlier than I normally would in case the buses get disrupted later on in the evening.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon


    Morby wrote: »
    I've been into Ryanair but they're very reluctant to give any info, which is understandable, just that's its currently scheduled but if its cancelled they'll email everyone affected.

    It's the 9pm to East Midlands.

    I was planning leaving a lot earlier than I normally would in case the buses get disrupted later on in the evening.

    Where are you travelling from?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Morby


    Galway


  • Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd


    Morby wrote: »
    Galway

    You said you were getting the bus so here's an fyi


    As a result of a Red Weather warning for Co. Clare issued by Met Eireann for this evening, and in the interests of the safety of our customers and employees, the following services will be impacted this evening:

    Routes 51/ 51X

    Ex. Limerick to Galway:

    18:25 Limerick to Galway – operate as normal

    19:25 Limerick to Galway – CANCELLED

    20:25 Limerick to Galway – CANCELLED

    21:35: Limerick to Galway – CANCELLED

    Ex. Galway to Limerick:

    17:05 Galway to Limerick – operate as normal18:05 Galway – Limerick – operates as normal

    18:00 Galway Limerick (X51) – operate from Galway to Gort ONLY

    19:00 Galway – Limerick (X51) CANCELLED

    19:05 Galway – Limerick – operate from Galway to Gort ONLY

    20:05 Galway – Limerick – CANCELLED

    Route 350: All services from 16:00 onwards will operate via N67 and WILL NOT serve the Cliffs of Moher

    Route 343: Limerick / Shannon / Ennis

    The following services will be CANCELLED:

    Depart Limerick to Shannon / Ennis: 19:35, 20:35, 21.35, 23.15

    Depart Ennis to Limerick: 20:40, 21.40, 22.40, 2320

    Depart Shannon Airport to Limerick: 20.25, 21.25, 22.25, 23.25, 00.05

    Route 336: 21.25 Ennis to Kilkee cancelled

    Friday, 26th April, 2019


  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta


    Morby wrote: »
    Not doubting you at all, but is it a definite that once its Status Red all flights are grounded?

    I can't seem to find any info online. I thought that they were normally on a case by case basis?

    Again, not doubting you at all and I appreciate you replying and the information, it's just making it a really hard call as to whether to leave for the airport or not.

    If I thought all flights would be grounded that would be my decision made, but if I'm at the airport there may be some hope of it taking off, albeit late.

    It's not mandatory to cancel flights in the event of a red warning, but generally the advice is to stay indoors and to stay off the roads. Most companies will send staff home early so that they are not commuting in it. Bus services are usually curtailed, so in the end the flight ends up getting cancelled for many reasons.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile


    Well during Hurricane Ophelia I was flying into Dublin. Ironically trains and buses were cancelled but the airport stayed open and flights operated although with some cancellations.

    Flown a few approaches with winds gusting up to 60 knots and as long as it's not all crosswind then flights can takeoff and land.

    Your flight may still operate depending on how bad it gets in Shannon.


  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Morby


    At the airport now folks, looks like the flight will take off but be delayed. Thanks for all the help, appreciate!

    Stay safe out there everyone.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon


    Morby wrote: »
    At the airport now folks, looks like the flight will take off but be delayed. Thanks for all the help, appreciate!

    Stay safe out there everyone.

    It's delayed leaving East Midlands. Landing may be an issue, if you don't have it already download the flight radar 24 app and you can keep an eye on it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77


    Morby wrote: »
    At the airport now folks, looks like the flight will take off but be delayed. Thanks for all the help, appreciate!

    Stay safe out there everyone.

    It left East Midlands at 8.25pm, due into Shannon around 9.25pm. Departure should be around 9.50pm or so.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol


    The Stansted flight just landed so fingers crossed for you OP :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol


    EMA flight gone to holding pattern, never descended below 24000' :(

    You could be in trouble here OP


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased


    It left East Midlands at 8.25pm, due into Shannon around 9.25pm. Departure should be around 9.50pm or so.

    As for the winds, straight down the runway, so even though challenging for the pilots, it should be okay to land

    Holding off Shannon at FL240!


Advertisement