Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not Shortlisted but meet requirements.

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

No again, you are wrong. I do know about this. You, on the other hand, do not.

But again, thanks for the input.

As I said previously, there is a very specific way this happens, in this LA. I am not guessing or dealing in rumours. I know how it works and what the outcome was.
    Some of us here....like me. Which is the point.

You seem to think you know more about a specific situation that I am involved in than I do. That's a pretty odd assumption for you to make.
    No. It's shortlisting. Thats how it works here.

I have no idea why I'm trying to explain to people who are both wrong and rude about it at the same time.

Thanks so much for the input though
    Are you quite well?
    You seem to think its not possible for someone to know more about their own life and situation than you, a complete stranger on the internet, does. Think about that for a minute and then try to be a little more polite to people asking for advice in a stressful situation.

You appear to know more about the process than any of us on here, so why ask the question if you know all the answers?

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Would you ask the recruiters for more information about why you were not shortlisted? Is there any point to doing so, would they have notes that they could or would share?
    Any advice?
    If it was later in the process ( i.e, after interview ) then I would maybe ask but not at the stage you got to as I don't think there's much point.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bingbong500

Well thanks to all for the answers, I have one from the HR department, and am now shortlisted for the job. An error was made which has now been rectified.

I would suggest in future you restrict yourselves to commenting on issues you know anything about, but then where would you get your kicks being rude to new posters?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I applied for a grade 5 position for a local authority/hse/etc job, and got a reply saying thanks but no thanks, we have done shortlisting and you did not meet the cut. Ok, but I have seen the criteria and I have everything they asked for and more.
    Would you ask the recruiters for more information about why you were not shortlisted? Is there any point to doing so, would they have notes that they could or would share?

I don't want to make a big fuss about it as I am in the job as a grade 4 on a temporary contract, but I would like to know why they turned me down.

Any advice?

For my own clarity, as I'm somewhat familiar with the system, did you have to send in a Resumé or was there a standard application form to fill out where you would have detailed your experience against the eligibility criteria?
    This could be legit and reasonable exclusion. Could also be a clerical error based on the volume of applicants they likely got. Could also be a charade that has to be done for IR reasons.

Edit: I see it was a clerical error from your post above.
    Good luck in the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭FluffPiece

Well thanks to all for the answers, I have one from the HR department, and am now shortlisted for the job. An error was made which has now been rectified.

I would suggest in future you restrict yourselves to commenting on issues you know anything about, but then where would you get your kicks being rude to new posters?

See my first post, in particular to this piece
    It's always possible to put in a written query to the relevant AO and they should inquire with the person looking after the competition to ensure nothing went amiss at any stage either.

You are a very rude person and my advice would be to take this opportunity to brush up on your personal skills before the interview because if you come across like this with the interview board, they will take a dim view of it. I shudder to think how you'll handle being a line manager for a team. Oh and as you seem to think you are the only person who knows the ins and outs, my job is as a recruiter for a large local authority, so I damn sure know what I'm talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

You know, you seem so rude and unreasonable that I don't believe you.

Yep, the follow up post smacks of "I'm gonna prove that I was more knowledgeable than all of you....of course the only reason I wasn't shortlisted is because of a mistake".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I hope that if you get the job it will be taxpayers money well spent. Somehow I doubt it but will live in hope. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭chooey

Hi bingbong, I was just wondering did you just ask for feedback when you contacted the HR department or did you specifically ask them why you weren't shortlisted? I haven't been short listed for a role I really thought that I would and I'm wondering also has something gone amiss. Thanks a mill, hope your interview went well

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bingbong500

chooey wrote: »
    Hi bingbong, I was just wondering did you just ask for feedback when you contacted the HR department or did you specifically ask them why you weren't shortlisted? I haven't been short listed for a role I really thought that I would and I'm wondering also has something gone amiss. Thanks a mill, hope your interview went well

I asked for feedback but did specifically mention the shortlisting criteria, stating that I thought I did meet the criteria as listed. They came back to me a few days later and stated that a mistake had been made (not just on mine, but I think about 5 others too) and that I did actually meet the criteria and was now shortlisted.
    Contrary to what others thought on this thread there was no mystery involved, it's a very open process in the place I am referring to, the criteria are clear and well known, and it was a simple mistake.

And thanks, it went very well and I am now on the panel. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭chooey

Thanks so much for that info. Getting an email together this evening. Delighted to hear you're on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jj_24

The biggest problem is the lack of transparency.

What is the amount of applications that will be considered for interview?

What is my position in this ranking?

Just saying, we will decide a number and you weren't selected does not seem to be a fair treatment for a public competition.

What do you think about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jj_24

Is there any legal procedure that could be done?

I am not Irish and in my country, public service competitions are very very serious. They must be completely impartial and extremely transparent.

Just saying you weren't selected wouldn't be a good response. A public institution, imo should say: Why you weren't selected, and how other applicants performed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mod:

The last previous post is 4 years old; I think it's resolved one way or the other at this stage :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement