Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorcam thread (linkdumps, non-dash etc)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Remember, mirror signal manoeuvre!

So is it safe to assume the tractor driver would have checked his mirror first, then signalled and finally turned.

Its a scary thought when the basics of taking a turn are unknown to most on here who cant see that something is rarely 100% anybodies fault.

Its mirror, signal, mirror, turn.

Had the tractor driver been more vigilant this accident would have been avoided.

I'll repeat, i am in no way condoning the overtake but there are always multiple factors and nothing is black and white. It was a mistake for the tractor driver also.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,253 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

No it's mirror signal manoeuvre

fritzelly wrote: »

Its frightening to think there are people on the roads who check their mirror, indicate and then turn up to 3-5 seconds later without checking if there is something coming up outside you. The last thing you do before you turn or overtake is check your mirror.

I can tell you now if you turn across a car overtaking on the right you are at fault.

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Its frightening to think there are people on the roads who check their mirror, indicate and then turn up to 3-5 seconds later without checking if there is something coming up outside you. The last thing you do before you turn or overtake is check your mirror.

I can tell you now if you turn across a car overtaking on the right you are at fault.

Not a chance is the tractor driver at fault in this case.

Not a chance is the tractor driver at fault in this case.

In your educated opinion?

Because I can tell you as fact (not opinion) that if you cross the path of an overtaking vehicle you will be held responsible. Drive on the right as right of way. This is not clear cut despite the drama and negligence of the overtake nor the emphatic opinion of people on this thread.

And I never said he was at fault, just that he contributed significantly to the incident. There have been a number of road fatalities over the years where tractors have pulled across overtaking vehicles while being oblivious to whats going on around them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Its mirror, signal, mirror, turn.

You're both wrong and missing an important step, although significantly better than the typical procedure here, which seems to be
    Manoeuvre
    Start indicating halfway through
    Get blasted out of it by the car about to be driven into
    Drift back into starting lane
    Find somewhere to change trousers

You might want to try adding in a blind spot check. It should be
    Mirror
    Indicate
    Mirror
    Blind spot check
    Move

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Damien360

In your educated opinion?

Because I can tell you as fact (not opinion) that if you cross the path of an overtaking vehicle you will be held responsible. Drive on the right as right of way. This is not clear cut despite the drama and negligence of the overtake nor the emphatic opinion of people on this thread.

And I never said he was at fault, just that he contributed significantly to the incident. There have been a number of road fatalities over the years where tractors have pulled across overtaking vehicles while being oblivious to whats going on around them.

I know of a person (my wife’s friend) in newbridge who was at fault for an accident when a car behind did a long overtake as she was turning into an estate, on a solid white line, and the judgement was that she failed to check her mirror before turning. She was deemed 50% at fault for the accident. The case ended up in court over personal accident costs.

In the case everyone is discussing, the driver of the Honda is at fault but the tractor driver is not absolved of fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Anyone have a working link to the video?

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Anyone have a working link to the video?
    This is the original facebook link
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1870481359757452/permalink/3235525539919687/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Did you actually read the link? Or just pull up the first hit in google when you searched?

It says:
    The Manoeuvre element is broken down into:

Position - take up the correct position for the manoeuvre you are about to undertake.
    Speed - select the suitable gear and speed for the manoeuvre you are about to undertake.
    Look - look to see if it is safe to continue.

Did you actually read the link? Or just pull up the first hit in google when you searched?

It says:

Position - take up the correct position for the manoeuvre you are about to undertake.
    Speed - select the suitable gear and speed for the manoeuvre you are about to undertake.
    I would imagine that the tractor did look, the way ahead was clear, it is also quite likely that all he could see in his mirrors was the van following him, how far out do you think tractor mirrors stick out!

It's all good to say "prepare for the unexpected" but nothing can prepare you for complete bellends making such stupid manoeuvres.

It says:

Like I said mirror, signal, manoeuvre

Unlike your mirror signal mirror

I would imagine that the tractor did look, the way ahead was clear, it is also quite likely that all he could see in his mirrors was the van following him, how far out do you think tractor mirrors stick out!

It's all good to say "prepare for the unexpected" but nothing can prepare you for complete bellends making such stupid manoeuvres.

Come off the stage! They are designed to carry wide loads and the mirrors are setup accordingly to be able to see around them. He would absolutely see anything come up his right if he had looked before he turned.

You can call that guy a bellend all you like (and you are probably right) but if the tractor checked his openside mirror before he commited the turn like he should the accident would have been avoided. And (well never know really) but it is highly likely there is shared liability there. The tractor struck an car on his right.

Anyway ive made my point and leave it at that.

Come off the stage! They are designed to carry wide loads and the mirrors are setup accordingly to be able to see around them. He would absolutely see anything come up his right if he had looked before he turned.

Anyway ive made my point and leave it at that.
    Check the position of the following van, the tractor driver wouldn't have had a hope of seeing the bellend flying up the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Jaysus lads, have a day off will yiz.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Reminds me of how the dash cam thread used to be :D

Something a bit more extreme!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Check the position of the following van, the tractor driver wouldn't have had a hope of seeing the bellend flying up the outside.

I'm a farmer , not so much involved with machinery any more (done over 45 years at it :rolleyes: )

can't see from the video but it appears the oncoming traffic had slowed or else there was sufficient gap to proceed

normally in case like that I would try to take possession of the outside lane by putting my right hand wheels over the white line, this would also help rear view

however in this case the entrance gap to the field seems narrow and with the long drawbar on the mower he probably needed the maximum swing to clear the near gate post with right side wheel of the mower

if it was a second earlier and the car hit the rear wheel of the tractor I don't the car driver would have escaped without serious injury,

most likely will be classed as 50/50 for insurance purposes,

Not quite dash cam but some van idiot

https://twitter.com/Luas/status/1286333100109201409

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

• Registered Users Posts: 13,640 ✭✭✭✭josip

I suppose that was the end of the poor horse?

josip wrote: »
    I suppose that was the end of the poor horse?
    The comment below the video says the horse was killed and the teenage driver injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Motor related ... fiery break up:

https://www.dumpert.nl/item/7953711_36bc8ac0

• Registered Users Posts: 13,640 ✭✭✭✭josip

GBX wrote: »

Police are looking for anyone with no eyebrows to help them with their enquiries

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Cerco

GBX wrote: »

Is that a female? Really look odd with no eyebrows or lashes 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Sorry needed to bring a tractor back to the thread :D

https://www.dumpert.nl/item/7955633_aeeb53ab

and wouldn't be complete without WVM
    https://www.dumpert.nl/item/7955453_6119a691

• Advertisement