Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam videos thread 3.4 (embedded car dash-cams only)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

hi5 wrote: »
    Use a motion detector, this one comes with low voltage sensor also...

https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Detection-Protection-Compatible-Navigator/dp/B07P2VYNNM

thats very interesting , i might try that out .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Whocare

pfx1942 wrote: »
    Cigarette lighter socket in BMW turns off when car goes to sleep approximately 16 minutes after doors are locked.

Not in e46 newer one yes

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pfx1942

Whocare wrote: »
    Not in e46 newer one yes

I have 2003 e46 and it turns off after 16 minutes.
    So does 2002 e39, 1998 e38.
    On my 1997 e36, it stays on.

Edit. On 2005 e60 cigarette lighter turns of with ignition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

DaDumTish wrote: »
    thats very interesting , i might try that out .

What's also interesting is that it connects to the OBD port, I just did a quick bit of research and the OBD port has a constant live (pin 16) fused and about 4 amps depending on manufacture.

You can also get this...https://www.obd2-shop.eu/obd2cigarettelightercardcpowerconnector-p-289.html?language=en
    So you can basically hardwire any low currant device and just unplug for warranty work;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I've hard wired my dash cam (next base 512) without any of the voltage cut offs etc and it's regularly parked up for a few days at a time constantly on without issue. Getting a camera without a screen or turning off the screen will reduce the draw even further.

I'd suggest if your dash cam is killing your car battery you may aswell pick up a new car battery while you're getting your camera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

wassie wrote: »
    There's plenty of affordable solutions. I use a Viofo A129 with HD recording front & back.

Connected to battery via cutoff switch when voltage drops too low - see here.

I have one of these with the hardwire kits and I'm happy with it so far. I used two fuse taps to wire it up, so no real permanent wiring. Image quality is very good for a dashcam (rear is as good as the front), definitely worth the cost. No problem with it draining the battery with the voltage cutoff set appropriately.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I've hard wired my dash cam (next base 512) without any of the voltage cut offs etc and it's regularly parked up for a few days at a time constantly on without issue. Getting a camera without a screen or turning off the screen will reduce the draw even further.

I'd suggest if your dash cam is killing your car battery you may aswell pick up a new car battery while you're getting your camera.

it is switched on for parking mode ?
    if its off then it wont flat the battery

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

DaDumTish wrote: »
    it is switched on for parking mode ?
    if its off then it wont flat the battery

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

hi5 wrote: »
    What's also interesting is that it connects to the OBD port, I just did a quick bit of research and the OBD port has a constant live (pin 16) fused and about 4 amps depending on manufacture.

You can also get this...https://www.obd2-shop.eu/obd2cigarettelightercardcpowerconnector-p-289.html?language=en
    So you can basically hardwire any low currant device and just unplug for warranty work;)

I don't know if I'd fancy that, it doesn't have a fuse, wouldn't want to fry the port.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

If a change/upgrade to a Tesla Model 3 is on your radar, it has Sentry Mode built in, and that seems to be what you're looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,656 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Spook_ie wrote: »
    I wouldn't actually class the first 2 as RLJs, given they were on a slight bend then dropping the anchors that close to the lights would have destabilised the cars and risked a loss of control, however that last car.....well the less said the better

If only there was some way drivers could have known that there were traffic lights coming up so they could adjust their driving accordingly.

500817.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

If only there was some way drivers could have known that there were traffic lights coming up so they could adjust their driving accordingly.

500817.PNG

Wouldn't make any difference if you are driving at 40 or 100kph when a light changes you may or may not be too close to stop before the stop line, will you ever go and take yer test!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,656 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Wouldn't make any difference if you are driving at 40 or 100kph when a light changes you may or may not be too close to stop before the stop line, will you ever go and take yer test!

The key points that you seem to have missed are:

- when you have a warning sign that there are traffic lights ahead, you're supposed to act on that sign. You're supposed to expect that lights are up ahead, and you're supposed to be ready to stop.
    - when you have a green light ahead, you're supposed to expect that it is going to go amber. It shouldn't come as a total surprise to you that a green light goes amber. It tends to happen a lot, like with every change of lights.
    - when you have lights on a slight bend, you're supposed to notice this and build it into your driving.

It's amazing how many crap excuses people can come up with for breaking traffic laws.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

The people in the thumbnail were the lucky ones I see :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭tanko

I assume the two pedestrians hit by the cars wouldn't have any hope of surviving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

tanko wrote: »
    I assume the two pedestrians hit by the cars wouldn't have any hope of surviving?

They would and you can't put up videos of fatalities like that on youtube AFAIK.

The key points that you seem to have missed are:

- when you have a warning sign that there are traffic lights ahead, you're supposed to act on that sign. You're supposed to expect that lights are up ahead, and you're supposed to be ready to stop.
    - when you have a green light ahead, you're supposed to expect that it is going to go amber. It shouldn't come as a total surprise to you that a green light goes amber. It tends to happen a lot, like with every change of lights.
    - when you have lights on a slight bend, you're supposed to notice this and build it into your driving.

It's amazing how many crap excuses people can come up with for breaking traffic laws.

The key point is that I drive and am aware of how things work in real life and time, as far as I know you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭wassie

@DaDumTish Suggest you check out Dash Cam Forum at dashcamtalk.com

tuxy wrote: »
    They would and you can't put up videos of fatalities like that on youtube AFAIK.

Not sure how they'd even identify what accidents they are. I'm sure local authorities might have something to say about it though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

wassie wrote: »
    @DaDumTish Suggest you check out Dash Cam Forum at dashcamtalk.com

already did previously

I got a Garmin dash cam and parking mode cable for christmas.

I haven't had time to hard wire it in yet with the parking mode cable but how is works it that its wired to acc and permanent live so the cam knows when the car is turned on or off.

When the car is off it sits in standby and only records if there is an event such as the car getting a bump (I'll test out sensitive it is). It also monitors the voltage on the car battery and if it drops below a (a very safe limit) the camera will shut off and prevent the battery being run down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

I connect my cameras to a 10,000 mah power bank when I leave the car unattended and it keeps the cameras powered. I leave my cameras running all night in my driveway to and they just sip on the power bank.. I have two cheap Xiaomi dash cams so I'm not worried if keeping them powered up all the time fries them or not. So far they are doing fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

• Registered Users Posts: 6,771 ✭✭✭DopeTech

One from this morning.:rolleyes:

Sir Dosser wrote: »

Sure was your fault for

A Not having a high Viz car
    B Exceeding 0 Kph in a city area
    C Not waiting at least 30 seconds before moving to allow you to look all around.
    D For actually daring to drive in Dublin to get somewhere

etc. etc.

If you look at a German or British compilation it's mostly near misses and messing at roundabouts. Go to Polish Dutch and Australian ones and it's mayhem. I wonder why that is?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Good clip, but if you don't mind me mentioning... the title could be a little more politically correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭argolis

Did you/they stop at all? Looks like they hit off you and might have scratched the car. I'd be raging if they did and just cycled off!

Advertisement