Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree i.d

Options
  • 24-04-2019 7:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what tree this is?
    It was in leaf very early. ILots of shoots coming up 10 metres into the garden, as well from the base of tree. Pic taken a couple of weeks ago.
    Attachment not found.20190409_171207.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm not really a tree dude, but it looks like birch? How light in colour is the trunk of the tree?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

Definitely a tree....it has a trunk, branches and is 5 metres tall. Not downy or silver birch.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Yeah, I worded the start of that sentence badly :D

Could you take a close up picture of a leaf? Some trees have several variations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Looks like a willow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Looks like a willow

I'd concur with this, it looks very like a willow all right.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I'm only looking at it on the phone but it looks like a green poplar to me.
    They're demons for putting up suckers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Looks like a happy tree to me, good job.

Thanks for replies. Going there tomorrow - so will get pic of leaves then. I remember the young leaves being very glossy and developed even 3 or 4 weeks ago - i think it was the first thing in the garden to be in leaf - before the whitethorn and the elder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Probably poplar. Hybrid or trembling poplar. They do sucker. The easily way to identify one is if the leaves move easily in the wind.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

wayoutwest wrote: »

Looks more like Ivy ?

Whats the weather like down your way Tim ?

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Looks more like Ivy ?

Whats the weather like down your way Tim ?

Not ivy
    Weather - a little light rain, odd breeze
    Not called Tim.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I'm sticking with Poplar.

Thanks to all for pointing me in the right direction....it looks like it could be a hybrid poplar, which is apparently a member of the willow family. This pic of leaf from hybid poplar nursary website looks the same. Can't believe how far the root system has spread for such a small tree ..could be a good firewood tree, as it is mean't to coppice well and easily grown from cuttings. Its a very pretty tree, but looks a bit too invasive for a house garden - think i'll introduce some cuttings to my little cutaway bog coppicing project (downy/silver birch + goat willow) where it can be rampant as it likes.poplar_leaf_4.jpg

Is it too late in the year to take and plant 6 - 8" cuttings ?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Not ivy
    Weather - a little light rain, odd breeze
    Not called Tim.

Hi Wayout et al,
    Am called tim
    Not from the west,
    from the middle,
    concur its likely a hybrid poplar although the shiny waxy leaves are unusual.
    tim

• Registered Users Posts: 10 NancyG

Why cut it down? It's a lovely shaped tree, nice colour leaves which come early, free from pests and its not an overly large tree.......all of which seems to me to make it an appropriate tree for a garden with a bit of space...like yours seems to have. Yes, the suckers are a nuisance but just cut them back or plant elsewhere as you suggest. You could always plant a climber up it if you wanted to add some summer interest to it, a big climbing rose scrambling up through it could look nice. Anyway, glad to see there's a concensus on it, I agree that it's probably a hybrid poplar.

NancyG wrote: »
    Why cut it down? It's a lovely shaped tree, nice colour leaves which come early, free from pests and its not an overly large tree.......all of which seems to me to make it an appropriate tree for a garden with a bit of space...like yours seems to have. Yes, the suckers are a nuisance but just cut them back or plant elsewhere as you suggest. You could always plant a climber up it if you wanted to add some summer interest to it, a big climbing rose scrambling up through it could look nice. Anyway, glad to see there's a concensus on it, I agree that it's probably a hybrid poplar.
    Hi Nancy - I didn't say that i was going to fell it.....but as it is only 4 metres from gable end of house and 3 metres from sewer pipes , i might have to. You are right in that its a beautifull tree, but it has unfortunately been planted in an inappropiate place. Given that it has such an extensive, vigorous root system and its ability to be coppiced - i don't know whether felling it would solve the problem of avoiding house foundation/sewer pipe damage....it might make things worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Sorry to hijack thread, but I have the same question on a plant I found this morning...

Is this an oak? I’m fairly sure it is, but am just a bit surprised as we don’t have much oak around here at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Most certainly an oak- the acorn may have been stored and forgotten by a bird or squirrel.

• Advertisement

Sorry to hijack thread, but I have the same question on a plant I found this morning...

Is this an oak? I’m fairly sure it is, but am just a bit surprised as we don’t have much oak around here at all...

Anyone know what type of oak it is - sessile/robur/other ? With there being 600 different types , oak leaf identificaion is a bit of a hobby for some.

Advertisement