Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport

Options
  • 22-04-2019 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

Anyone know the latest? I was reading that Ross and Halligan are still deliberating about a runway extension. It'll probably be 5 years before anything gets flying commercially again from WAT. Its sad really, the South East is one of the most beautiful parts of Ireland. So much potential, with a catchment area of Tipp, Waterford, Wexford and Kilkenny.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Storm 10

At least you have an Airport Varadakar was the Minister responsible for closing Galway Airport by denying the 100k they needed to stay open, it's a disgrace to see it closed and you have Galway City and County Councils who now own it not having a clue what to do with it, no better crowd to ruin it like they have done with all the traffic chaos in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Storm 10 wrote: »
    At least you have an Airport Varadakar was the Minister responsible for closing Galway Airport by denying the 100k they needed to stay open, it's a disgrace to see it closed and you have Galway City and County Councils who now own it not having a clue what to do with it, no better crowd to ruin it like they have done with all the traffic chaos in Galway.

Yeah, I suppose either side of Galway is SNN and NOC. Traffic chaos in Galway is going on for as long as I can remember. Anything outside Dublin seems to get ignored.
    I think waterford has huge potential, get some maintenance hangars in there aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

Mightn't be a bad idea to re-locate Walsh Park out there, 20+minutes from the city, level ground and plenty of parking ! I'm not being silly here but do you honestly think Lord Ross has a care for the airport ? Gobdaw would bring it to stepaside if he had his way, Halligan hasn't the power or support that the like of the Really Hays in Kerry have. Cork is too well established for tourists flying in to the south.. the GAA should make a play for it.

lufties wrote: »
    Yeah, I suppose either side of Galway is SNN and NOC. Traffic chaos in Galway is going on for as long as I can remember. Anything outside Dublin seems to get ignored.
    I think waterford has huge potential, get some maintenance hangars in there aswell.

Well you can also say either side of Waterford is Cork and Dublin , I still find it hard to believe when it was open you could fly to London, Edinburgh, Belfast, Manchester, Cork, Dublin and Summer flights to Lorient and Malaga it's badly missed

nlrkjos wrote: »
    Mightn't be a bad idea to re-locate Walsh Park out there, 20+minutes from the city, level ground and plenty of parking ! I'm not being silly here but do you honestly think Lord Ross has a care for the airport ? Gobdaw would bring it to stepaside if he had his way, Halligan hasn't the power or support that the like of the Really Hays in Kerry have. Cork is too well established for tourists flying in to the south.. the GAA should make a play for it.

Yeah Ross couldn't give a monkeys, halligan is another Mattie McGrath, all hot air.
    What would the GAA gain from it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

Yeah Ross couldn't give a monkeys, halligan is another Mattie McGrath, all hot air.
    What would the GAA gain from it?

Its the GAA supporters and Waterford people in general will gain, they are a great crowd down there and deserve a daecent stadium... nice gaff for concerts too, make a 25,000 seater, it couldn't cost as much as Pairc Ui Frank Murphy here..spin offs could be big rugby/soccer/boxing matches.. big conference center in the sunny SE, get WIT involved and who knows where it could go ! I'm just saying like..because an airport will never really work there.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Well you can also say either side of Waterford is Cork and Dublin , I still find it hard to believe when it was open you could fly to London, Edinburgh, Belfast, Manchester, Cork, Dublin and Summer flights to Lorient and Malaga it's badly missed

I used it a few times and it was very convenient. 30 mins to the front door from home and no queues. However, the main reason I didn’t use it as my first choice for UK flights was the cost. Even factoring in parking, fuel, M50 toll, I could get a return flight to BHX, MAN etc with FR or EI for €40-€50 whereas flying ex Waterford was costing upwards of €120 each way.

fg1406 wrote: »
    I used it a few times and it was very convenient. 30 mins to the front door from home and no queues. However, the main reason I didn’t use it as my first choice for UK flights was the cost. Even factoring in parking, fuel, M50 toll, I could get a return flight to BHX, MAN etc with FR or EI for €40-€50 whereas flying ex Waterford was costing upwards of €120 each way.

I agree regarding cost. I was working at LGW a few years ago, flying over and back to dub and bussing it to Limerick was cheaper than flying from snn. I remember flights from SNN to LGW were over 400 euro return with FR, the times were crap too. Supply and demand I guess. The regional airports have benefits but pricier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

No need for it, perfectly good airports to the West and North (Cork & Dublin), I know its a bit of a bummer having to travel but in all fairness a little bit of common sense is needed here.

roundymac wrote: »
    No need for it, perfectly good airports to the West and North (Cork & Dublin), I know its a bit of a bummer having to travel but in all fairness a little bit of common sense is needed here.

Well there's no denying it would be great for the region. Trying getting to a small town in Tipp from Dublin when you only live across the pond is a pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

Well there's no denying it would be great for the region. Trying getting to a small town in Tipp from Dublin when you only live across the pond is a pain.

I assume we’re talking public transport?

Are the links from Waterford much better?

faoiarvok wrote: »
    I assume we’re talking public transport?

Are the links from Waterford much better?

Yes public transport. Well for me its closer to my hometown and Waterford city has regular buses. My point is really that for short hips to the UK WAT would be very handy, a bit like NOC and KIR.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Move the air-corp to it, And Open Baldonall as a 2nd airport for dublin?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dublin does not need a second airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

I was thinking about WAT the other day. I did some training there a long time ago. They used to collect a €10 fee at check-in to pay for the Runway extension I paid it but the runway was never extended. If they do getthe runway extended they are going to need to upgrade the terminal too. When I was there there was no baggage scanner for checking bags. There was also no belt for bagging incoming and outgoing.

They will also have to upgrade the security scanners and passenger x-ray machines to meet the new security standards.

Also not sure if the terminal could handle a 737 in its current state, the ramp will need an overhaul as well.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They have scanners for maybe a decade now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Right now, its not even on a par with Exeter or the other smaller regionals in the UK. As with so many other endeavors, the paying public stayed away in droves. Sligo, Galway, Waterford have all been deserted by the population of their own catchment areas, when they should be thriving. Knock works because it has Ryanair's 737s and it has suppressed Sligo and Galway, both of which should be bursting with tourists and locals alike. Sligo is essentially too short for jets and is in a very confined location. Galway is too short for jets and it is a criminal waste of an airport, when it should be flat out with tourists. God knows how Carrickfin is still open, when the population of the hinterland uses Derry airport. As for Waterford, why is there no night cargo operation? Why is there no Cityjet RJ to London City? No BA A319 to London Heathrow?

regards
    Stovepipe

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Right now, its not even on a par with Exeter or the other smaller regionals in the UK. As with so many other endeavors, the paying public stayed away in droves. Sligo, Galway, Waterford have all been deserted by the population of their own catchment areas, when they should be thriving. Knock works because it has Ryanair's 737s and it has suppressed Sligo and Galway, both of which should be bursting with tourists and locals alike. Sligo is essentially too short for jets and is in a very confined location. Galway is too short for jets and it is a criminal waste of an airport, when it should be flat out with tourists. God knows how Carrickfin is still open, when the population of the hinterland uses Derry airport. As for Waterford, why is there no night cargo operation? Why is there no Cityjet RJ to London City? No BA A319 to London Heathrow?

regards
    Stovepipe

Regarding WAT, you'd be more likely to have flybe and stobart in there than BA or Cityjet. Cityjet doesn't even fly from or to SNN, nor does BA other than an A318 biz class transitting through to JFK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Sligo, Galway, Waterford have all been deserted by the population of their own catchment areas,

. As for Waterford, why is there no night cargo operation?

regards
    Stovepipe
    2 separate questions.

Regarding the "catchment" argument.
    Quite simply there is insufficient people.
    Look at any of the maps that the airport's publish denoting their "catchment" and it would make a gerrymandering politician blush.

Regarding the night time cargo simply no demand.
    FexEx stopped the Cork leg on the ATR because it made no sense.

I disagree. Galway's population pool is much greater than Knock's, in a heartbeat, yet they couldnt even sustain an ATR operation. When I asked locals about it, they said that they hated the turboprops (vomit comets), the flight was too long from the UK and they couldnt fly to mainland Europe direct and they wanted jets, but the airport was too small. They hated having to go to Knock and would much rather support the local economy but a jet-capable runway never happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Yet they had the old Arvo doing a Galway - Waterford - Amsterdam service which they didn't use either.

Both Galway and Knock are not needed anyway. One or the other is all the area can support realistically.

Thats the problem with Waterford too. Cork and Dublin are that bit too close, nice as the odd flight would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Yet they had the old Arvo doing a Galway - Waterford - Amsterdam service which they didn't use either.

Both Galway and Knock are not needed anyway. One or the other is all the area can support realistically.

Thats the problem with Waterford too. Cork and Dublin are that bit too close, nice as the odd flight would be.

You could say the same with Galway really as Dublin is not that far due to the new m6 and shannon is just down the road too.

The only way I can see Waterford doing well is if they do manage to get a runway to support Ryanair flights. Waterford could compete then on cheap landing and handling fees against Cork and Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

This whole thread has missed the point completely. It's not about us locals using the airport, its about big business choosing to locate in the South East because of Waterford airport. With the new quay developments in Waterford etc it has got international interest etc.

The problem without being able to visit the south east in a day from big European cities is what stops big businesses setting up offices here in the SE.

Why set up where it takes a three day trip to do a meeting when you could set up else where and only have to dedicate one day to it.

The locals in the SE benefit by also having access to those flights...

It's more about the jobs the airport will bring in i.e. the wider effect, rather than where we can go on holiday to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    This whole thread has missed the point completely. It's not about us locals using the airport, its about big business choosing to locate in the South East because of Waterford airport. With the new quay developments in Waterford etc it has got international interest etc.

The problem without being able to visit the south east in a day from big European cities is what stops big businesses setting up offices here in the SE.

Why set up where it takes a three day trip to do a meeting when you could set up else where and only have to dedicate one day to it.

It's more about the jobs the airport will bring in i.e. the wider effect, rather than where we can go on holiday to.

Don't see any multi nationals in Kerry or Donegal for that matter coming cos of an airport. In fact Kerry Group shifted their HQ to Naas.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

ExoPolitic wrote: »

Personally I think this argument is overblown. DUB is only 2 hours away by motoway. That's not a long distance in the US. The HQ of the company I work for is 2hrs from Logan.

The business park attached to the airport brings in more money and jobs than the airport itself. As an active airport, it is overly dependent on the presence of SAR / the occasional business jet / light aviation and domestic traffic like the Air Corps to keep it open. It should have an active tie in with local industries for cargo flights (instead of being forced by Fedex to ship everything via Dublin), even seasonal routes by turboprop or small jet for summer tourism, tie ins with local colleges for educational work. I'm sure the local Chamber of Commerce is probably sick of hearing about the airport but if it closes down, it won't get replaced. I know it's a hackneyed phrase but people need to start thinking outside the box and get things done; summer airshows, tied in with the Tall Ships; hold track days for car enthusiasts; do what they do in the UK and hold public events like Saturday markets (they do it in Sligo airport) or vintage car rallies (or other kinds of rallies and open days). Anything that makes viable use of an open space and generates income for the airport.

The business park attached to the airport brings in more money and jobs than the airport itself. As an active airport, it is overly dependent on the presence of SAR / the occasional business jet / light aviation and domestic traffic like the Air Corps to keep it open. It should have an active tie in with local industries for cargo flights (instead of being forced by Fedex to ship everything via Dublin), even seasonal routes by turboprop or small jet for summer tourism, tie ins with local colleges for educational work. I'm sure the local Chamber of Commerce is probably sick of hearing about the airport but if it closes down, it won't get replaced. I know it's a hackneyed phrase but people need to start thinking outside the box and get things done; summer airshows, tied in with the Tall Ships; hold track days for car enthusiasts; do what they do in the UK and hold public events like Saturday markets (they do it in Sligo airport) or vintage car rallies (or other kinds of rallies and open days). Anything that makes viable use of an open space and generates income for the airport.

True enough, the south east is still recovering from the 2008 economic crash, spiritually and other ways. Personally I love County Waterford, and Cork just never interested me much (probably as a Tipp man, the accent drives me bananas).
    I currently work at Leeds airport and see how its completely maxed out in capacity due to the success of Jet2. WAT needs an airline or maintenance company to invest in it, but first a better runways infrastructure is needed. The government need to get the finger. We really do get the short straw with politicians in Ireland.. Beyond useless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Personally I think this argument is overblown. DUB is only 2 hours away by motoway. That's not a long distance in the US. The HQ of the company I work for is 2hrs from Logan.

Waterford is not 2 hours from Dublin Airport. It takes half a day to get there. Congestion in the Dublin area makes a farce of indicative journey times. In fact Waterford isn't 'near' anywhere; and the region is serves is unique in that it is the only region without a functioning airport.

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    Waterford is not 2 hours from Dublin Airport. It takes half a day to get there. Congestion in the Dublin area makes a farce of indicative journey times. In fact Waterford isn't 'near' anywhere; and the region is serves is unique in that it is the only region without a functioning airport.

I've done Waterford to Dublin on the M9 one hour 55 minutes don't know where your going with half a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Dum_Dum wrote: »

Drove to the airport yesterday and it took me 2 hours 10 minutes including the roadworks at Naas and general M50/M1 traffic.

Definitely does not take half a day unless you take the old road through all the towns and not the motorway.

Advertisement