Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Garden 2019 & 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

hmm Frans design seems a bit empty here

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Mossie1975

Thought Fran came across as a bit of a chancer. Couple seemed to like him.

yeah it was a hard struggle for him, especially with digging that gully and dealing with the rock.
    His garden is not a contender for me. I think last weeks garden is in the lead with one left to go. Though I like the Dermots one the best.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Definitely not a contender, because there was so much left to do, although it's good that he gave them a decent kid's play area with the trampoline, which is good, functionality wise.

I wonder did he go back and finish it, after the cameras stopped rolling and the judges left.

Yeah he did finish it from what I saw, at least those foot placers on the ground at the bench were bare concrete on judging day but then painted purple when it showed the shots of family out in the garden at the very end.

Id imagine its part of the rules that judging happens on day 21 but if you're not finished you still have to go back and finish it, it wouldnt be fair on the families other wise for the gardener to just up and leave the site and job is not done. In any case it should really be four weeks they are allowed, Im more interested in seeing gardens done to perfection rather than this constant race against the clock theme. 3 weeks is just an unrealistic time line because you're always going to come up against unpredictable problems like the drainage that takes days to sort out.

• Advertisement

Did they not get 5 weeks in previous seasons?

yeah I think you're right, it was 5 weeks in previous seasons.

I get the impression it's to reduce the budget of the TV show. Instead of having camera-men and such working on the show over a period of 5 weeks, and going all over the country, by squeezing all the gardens into the one estate, and making the show only 3 weeks, it presumably saves them a few euro.

What was the name of the plant that looked like lots of little bonsai trees? It was lovely.

Those houses are all lovely builds but not one bit of drainage in those swamps for gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Enjoying the show so far, fran is a likeable character, creative laidback and easy going, big contrast in personality when fran met Gary although I think Gary is mellowing a bit with old age as well. It would have been nice to see frans finished garden. I found it a bit odd that the owner or are they only renting them houses, with a horticultural degree had to get somebody in to do his garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

kerryjack wrote: »
    Enjoying the show so far, fran is a likeable character, creative laidback and easy going, big contrast in personality when fran met Gary although I think Gary is mellowing a bit with old age as well. It would have been nice to see frans finished garden. I found it a bit odd that the owner or are they only renting them houses, with a horticultural degree had to get somebody in to do his garden.

He got someone to pay for his new garden.:)

I haven't seen a winner yet
    garden1 too much stone.
    garden2 too much like a jungle.
    garden3 artificial grass and not enough height
    garden4 unfinished so probably can't win.

I get the impression it's to reduce the budget of the TV show. Instead of having camera-men and such working on the show over a period of 5 weeks, and going all over the country, by squeezing all the gardens into the one estate, and making the show only 3 weeks, it presumably saves them a few euro.

yeah it must cost a lot less just to have a single camera crew hopping between the five houses in the same estate than them being on the road for hours between 5 different locations around the country.

I dont mind the new format but they should really have 4 weeks to complete it instead of 3. The show seems to be a lot about the drama of will they/wont they finish it on time, the commentator constantly alludes to it and they put up the numbers of days elapsed on the screen a fair bit too. Id prefer it was a competition of creating the best garden and not a competition of who can cobble together the best garden with not enough time given.
    What was the name of the plant that looked like lots of little bonsai trees? It was lovely.

Those houses are all lovely builds but not one bit of drainage in those swamps for gardens.

Was wondering about that plant myself but didnt catch the name of it. I know the shows webpages on RTE have a full list of all products used and where they come from so you might find it there. Its was beautiful but Id say you'd want to be out there with a clippers pretty often for it to keep its shape.

This girl drew the short straw on the size of the 5 gardens, its pretty small and an awkward L shape

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

How do they choose these people?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

The limited timeframe aspect of this show ruins it. how can she expect to do it with a full time job and commuting to cork.
    Leave them at it and allow for weather and 'life'.

Pretty good effort overall, I thought the planting was really good and she made a great job of a small garden. I wouldnt like that bench for sitting on though, theres nothing to support your back so you wouldnt be comfotatable sitting there for long as nice as it looked. But overall it did look like a really nice garden.

Of the five gardens now shown I think the 3rd one will take it. Though I still like Dermots one the best but I think no.3 is what the judges will go for.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Last week's gardener seemed to have been working 24/7 with blood, sweat and tears to try and get it done in time- Siobhan looks like she just popped into the garden for a couple of weekends and had no problem getting it finished!!

I liked this week's garden, but I thought it was quite plain, and really lacked colour.

Dermot's garden is still the winner for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Mossie1975

Posy wrote: »
    Last week's gardener seemed to have been working 24/7 with blood, sweat and tears to try and get it done in time- Siobhan looks like she just popped into the garden for a couple of weekends and had no problem getting it finished!!

I liked this week's garden, but I thought it was quite plain, and really lacked colour.

Dermot's garden is still the winner for me.

Have to catch up on some of the earlier gardens but looking at the quick clips at the end, Dermot's looks the nicest.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah it must cost a lot less just to have a single camera crew hopping between the five houses in the same estate than them being on the road for hours between 5 different locations around the country

Was wondering about that plant myself but didnt catch the name of it. I know the shows webpages on RTE have a full list of all products used and where they come from so you might find it there. .

Would anyone have a link to these pages of products and suppliers? I’ve been on the RTÉ page but can’t find any information on this ? Thanks

Would anyone have a link to these pages of products and suppliers? I’ve been on the RTÉ page but can’t find any information on this ? Thanks

Click the photo of the designer and it gives their life story, the families life story and what plants they plan on using.

https://www.woodies.ie/super-garden

That’s as far as I’ve got but I guess I’ll have to google each plant they mention to find the one I’m looking for.

Edit: Found plant lists. Swipe through pictures at bottom to find whose garden you want.
    http://www.gromor.ie/supergarden-episose1-dermot-melia/

• Advertisement

Click the photo of the designer and it gives their life story, the families life story and what plants they plan on using.

https://www.woodies.ie/super-garden

That’s as far as I’ve got but I guess I’ll have to google each plant they mention to find the one I’m looking for.

Edit: Found plant lists. Swipe through pictures at bottom to find whose garden you want.
    http://www.gromor.ie/supergarden-episose1-dermot-melia/

Thanks . Was looking for link to see where Corten Steel Water Bowl is sold. Been trying to source one all Summer here but there seems to be no suppliers at all in Ireland. Can buy from UK or Netherlands .

Thanks . Was looking for link to see where Corten Steel Water Bowl is sold. Been trying to source one all Summer here but there seems to be no suppliers at all in Ireland. Can buy from UK or Netherlands .

Howbert and Mays

https://static.rasset.ie/documents/tv/2020/06/super-garden-series-12-episode-5-siobhan-keogh-products-list-for-media.pdf

Could be cheaper sourcing it from UK though.

yes I already looked into this and there is a big saving buying from UK..... crazy isn't it? I'd like to support Irish but on a big ticket item like this its too much to lose buying Irish.

Whats the price differential from the UK out of interest? Like yourself Id like to support Irish but last year when buying a wood floor the local cost was 1,400 but I got the exact same product for 900 delivered from the UK. Couldnt justify leaving 500 quid on the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gemancy

Dermot would win the best personality prize if there was one. He seems to be such a genuinely sound guy, he has helped all the other 4 contestants with his own graft and loaning equipment, he’s lovely! In saying that though I thought garden 2 was innovative enough, I like the concept of a completely edible garden, it’s something I’m trying (but failing) to do myself. Garden 3 was nice too. It’s a close competition for the winning spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Gemancy wrote: »
    Dermot would win the best personality prize if there was one. He seems to be such a genuinely sound guy, he has helped all the other 4 contestants with his own graft and loaning equipment, he’s lovely! In saying that though I thought garden 2 was innovative enough, I like the concept of a completely edible garden, it’s something I’m trying (but failing) to do myself. Garden 3 was nice too. It’s a close competition for the winning spot.

Dermot came across very well, nearly too well for the cynic in me!

Think it'll be Garden 5 that'll win it, just ahead of Garden 3. They were the most Bloom(y) gardens for me. Garden 2 also fit the bill in terms of concept but execution was.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

who won

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭soundman45

who won

The fella from Cork won, the garden with the reflective water features.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

You could see Dermot was genuinely gutted. He thought he had it in the bag I'd say. Even after he'd lost he was saying his garden wouldve been a showstopper at bloom. Did seem like a nice fella.

The winning garden was very nice and Mark clearly put a huge amount of himself into it and stuck to his guns. Personally I thought the permaculture garden was the most worthy winner.

Advertisement