Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council tactics re_ leasing

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,709 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    , the parties are once per month which on the face of it is not terribly shocking,....

The big issue is the complete lack of oversight by the council in terms of what is happening in the house, numerous things have changed since they took possession and they were none the wiser as they have outsourced dealings to this caseworker lady

Parties were every night in your opening post - now they're once a month. Sounds like Mrs Bucket isn't a reliable source.

Frankly what happens in the interim ain't your business. And hether you deal with council employees or outsourced contractors is irrelevant.

Stick to the contract and make the council handle RTB complaints and clean it up when they hand it back to you. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Parties were every night in your opening post - now they're once a month. Sounds like Mrs Bucket isn't a reliable source.

Frankly what happens in the interim ain't your business. And hether you deal with council employees or outsourced contractors is irrelevant.

Stick to the contract and make the council handle RTB complaints and clean it up when they hand it back to you. Simples.

" sticking to the contract" involves adhering to a list of conditions, two in particular being as follows

1. The leasee must consult the lessor before altering the property

2.the leasee must keep the property clean and tidy.

Frankly That's some rubbish your spouting, "none of my business what happens in the interim" :rolleyes:

The council have shown themselves to be completely detached from the property and thus standards are not being maintained to the most basic of levels

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Did you have a photo survey prior handover?

Do you have photos of current state?

Put a file together of one against the other and advise the council that you will require monthly visits until you are satisfied they are managing your property correctly.

OR forget about it and at end of 10 years when you have received 100k for your 68k investment producw your initial survey and ensure you get back the house in similar condition.

OR at end 10 years offer it to them for another 10 years at 10k a year

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tm2408

" sticking to the contract" involves adhering to a list of conditions, two in particular being as follows

1. The leasee must consult the lessor before altering the property

2.the leasee must keep the property clean and tidy.

Frankly That's some rubbish your spouting, "none of my business what happens in the interim" :rolleyes:

The council have shown themselves to be completely detached from the property and thus
    standards are not being maintained to the most basic of levels

Mad_maxx: you are getting too close to this personally. It’s a business contract and your contract is with the local authority not the current tenant.

As I said the council will return the house in the state you handed it over. From experience a month or two before that date the council have crews tha5 will completely gut and refurb the house before handing it back to you. If they don’t they are in breach of contract. Forget it and move on it’s not worth it now...

tm2408 wrote: »
    Mad_maxx: you are getting too close to this personally. It’s a business contract and your contract is with the local authority not the current tenant.

As I said the council will return the house in the state you handed it over. From experience a month or two before that date the council have crews tha5 will completely gut and refurb the house before handing it back to you. If they don’t they are in breach of contract. Forget it and move on it’s not worth it now...

How do you know this, long term leases only were introduced in 2011

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 tm2408

They have been around for years, I know a few landlords who had come out of 5 & 8 year arrangements and the council meet their obligations on the quality of the property when returned. New paint etc...

They have been around for years, I know a few landlords who had come out of 5 & 8 year arrangements and the council meet their obligations on the quality of the property when returned. New paint etc...

Those were RAS schemes

Mad_maxx: I have a long term contract with the council and The bits you are saying in a few posts implies that we have similar arrangements.

1). My client is the local authority who pay me each month for 10 years for in essence the use of my house
    2). I have no engagement with the tenants and im not their their landlord. That’s the council full remit
    3). At the end of the 10 years the council must return the house in a similar state that I handed it over to them in.

In essence I have basically given the keys to the council for 10 years and walked away. I had to think long and hard about this as I was an accidental landlord but from speaking to mates who worked in the council and landlords who have come out the other end of these the council have always lived up to point 3 above.

My advice is don’t get involved and let the neighbour deal with the council or RTB themselves.

And do you view the property on occasion or is the last time you saw it, the day you handed possession to the council?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

And do you view the property on occasion or is the last time you saw it, the day you handed possession to the council?

I know people in this scheme, you would never have guessed :p

They handed over the property and walked away, see you in 10 years. They have no contact with any neighbours etc.

One person I know, actually had lived for a period in house, moved out and let it off. As I mentioned before, he got rid of him mobile number as the neighbours started contacting him, grass not cut etc. Easier just to cut all ties.

What they did do was
    1. Read the contract and got legal advice before signing
    2. Spent a huge amount of time taking pictures of the property. Top to bottom, up in the attic, roof, etc. One guy even got a survey done like you get when buying a new house. He got a fellow to do on the cheap. They could have over 1,000 pics of house. All kept safely with multiple copies. In 10 years time they will be pulled out.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I know people in this scheme, you would never have guessed :p

They handed over the property and walked away, see you in 10 years. They have no contact with any neighbours etc.

One person I know, actually had lived for a period in house, moved out and let it off. As I mentioned before, he got rid of him mobile number as the neighbours started contacting him, grass not cut etc. Easier just to cut all ties.

What they did do was
    1. Read the contract and got legal advice before signing
    2. Spent a huge amount of time taking pictures of the property. Top to bottom, up in the attic, roof, etc. One guy even got a survey done like you get when buying a new house. He got a fellow to do on the cheap. They could have over 1,000 pics of house. All kept safely with multiple copies. In 10 years time they will be pulled out.

What has any of that got to do with the council not taking care of properties which people entrust to them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

All I have received is a few texts from the neighbour, I can block them if I want, they don't know where I live, I told this particular neighbour to inform the council about any issues a few months ago, they text me again in the past week to inform me about late night parties since before Xmas and how the council are making token efforts to deal with complaints, that's all I have to go on but I'd trust the word of the neighbours over the council on these matters

I'll do what I can to try and help the neighbours, good people in troubled areas deserve peace, the core of my point is unaccountable local government

The council invariably refuse or neglect to handle noise complaints and many even have leaflets explaining to folk who complain how to take the culprits to a simple and inexpensive District Court hearing with their complaint. That may be what the neighbour is being told? he can do that anyways without involving the council and it is often a very effective way to deal with this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Graces7 wrote: »
    The council invariably refuse or neglect to handle noise complaints and many even have leaflets explaining to folk who complain how to take the culprits to a simple and inexpensive County Court hearing with their complaint. That may be what the neighbour is being told? he can do that anyways without involving the council and it is often a very effective way to deal with this.

This is Ireland. We don't have County Courts!

Just an update, wrote a two page letter to the local authority and sent it by registered post in early May, got an email acknowledging same and stating that a response would be "actioned "

Heard nothing since, the house is delivering a good yield but I would not encourage anyone to enter into a long term contract with the council, especially not with a valuable house

• Registered Users Posts: 36,156 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I don’t really understand where you’re coming from on this one. You’re making money and your property will be eventually returned to you in good condition. You are also not legally responsible for any of the issues raised. What’s the problem here, other than a loss of control in return for a very rewarding fee?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I don’t really understand where you’re coming from on this one. You’re making money and your property will be eventually returned to you in good condition. You are also not legally responsible for any of the issues raised. What’s the problem here, other than a loss of control in return for a very rewarding fee?

Lack of respect on the part of the council.

Advertisement