Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

blanch152 wrote: »
    To be fair, the Leinster championship has always been more competitive than the Munster one, and remains so. It is Kerry first, Cork second, for all of the last century in Munster, while there have been periods of dominance by others in Leinster.

Arguably, if Dublin had been in a Munster Championship since 1888, they would have won the most All-Irelands.

I think everyone agrees that the GAA have done a terrible job of trying to even the playing field from the very first day they were created.

I've no problem Dublin getting more funds than the rest, but that's not exactly what they are getting. They are getting many multiples of the rest per registered player, as in 10 times more in most cases. There's something badly wrong there.

So if we were to say that every county received the same per registered player, this would be a good start. It would still mean Dublin receive more than the rest in total, but the same per player. They'd still of course have their advantages in sponsorship and the sports grant from government which again is unfair.

Eventually I'd like to see struggling counties given more GDF funds than others to bring them up.

Dublin are no longer a struggling county, although some would have you believe this and if we don't give them massive GDF funds, the youth of Dublin will take up rugby, etc which of course is bullsh*t. Every county faces this problem, not just Dublin.

Anyways that's another issue entirely.

The Munster Championship is only slightly more competitive than Leinster but in the past there was two teams who could win it. In the late 80s and 90s and up until recently there was a doubt who would win it. Can't say the same recently in Leinster, they may as well hand the cup to Dublin as its only a formality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

I don't understand the criticism of Cox from Kerry people.So far this year, he has played very well against Division 1 sides, Mayo and Galway, and Mayo beat Kerry in the League final where the Kerry forwards were very average/poor. In fact Kerry forwards have been poor against Mayo in most of their recent encounters.

So far in the championship, Kerry have played Division 2 or Division 3 teams and will play another Div 2 team in Cork.

But when it comes to playing Division 1 teams in the Super8s that's where questions will be answered. Kerry's record last year against Div1 teams in the Super8s wasn't great, and only for Clifford rescued them against Monaghan would have been worse.

Cox has proven himself in the championship against Div1 sides. What more do people want? I guess because he hasn't steam-rolled the likes of Clare and Tipperary there must be something wrong with him.

All I am reading about Cox here is that he played brilliantly against Mayo and Galway but because he couldn't outfox a cornerback in a game against South Kerry, he's no good. He was probably saving himself for bigger games!

There’s a different level of pressure playing with Kerry than Roscommon. It’s like a striker being brilliant at a mid table club but not being able to do it at a top club. Or a club player who is the best player at his club and is the first man outfield players look for when kicking the ball in. Then on the county team he’s not the best forward and is not getting as much ball in to him. I think that puts added pressure when he does get the ball. He’s the best full forward that Roscommon have and probably knows he can miss a few and not worry about being taken off or dropped. Just my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Arguably, if Dublin hadn't been financially doped since 2004 they would have six less All-Irelands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

keane2097 wrote: »
    Arguably, if Dublin hadn't been financially doped since 2004 they would have six less All-Irelands.

There's already a thread that any dissenting opinions to this have been banned from, so take it over there.

There's already a thread that any dissenting opinions to this have been banned from, so take it over there.

Where's the 'if Dublin had been in Munster' thread?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Can't see Cork been within 6-8 points of Kerry
    Can't see Meath been the same, probably hold Dublin for a good chunk of the 1st half and Dublins bench will ease away. 8-10 point win.
    Cavan to shock Donegal? Donegal look really good, think Rochford has brought some of his traits to that team but equally Cavan are on a bit of a wave. If Cavan can get ahead early might see them pull it off.

Weekend will tell a lot about Mayo, I have a bad feeling about it, the same as with Roscommon and I know they are divisions apart. The loss of Ruane in the middle and his mobility will be big for us. GK situation is a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Donegal forwards will have too much for Cavan I think. Murphy, McBrearty and Brennan are on fire right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭tanko

If Kerry beat Cork, will they be in the same super 8 group as Roscommon?

tanko wrote: »
    If Kerry beat Cork, will they be in the same super 8 group as Roscommon?

No Munster and Ulster champs are in same group. Roscommon will be in with Leinster champions.

If Dublin win as expected Roscommon will be only side to play two away games (as Donegal did last year) in super 8s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭MfMan

rossie1977 wrote: »
    No Munster and Ulster champs are in same group. Roscommon will be in with Leinster champions.

If Dublin win as expected Roscommon will be only side to play two away games (as Donegal did last year) in super 8s.

In other words, they could be playing in CP twice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Lads it’s not criticism- saying that we agree with the decisions made by our selectors based on a large sample set of matches that we have seen is not criticism.

Everyone agrees that he’s a good player

You mightn't call it criticism, but you are undermining his quality by saying that he currently wouldn't and shouldn't make the Kerry panel. That there are better players than Cox who can't make the Kerry panel.
    Take the Green and Gold tinted glasses off for just one minute - theoretically, if you had the choice to swap Cox for Jamsie O'Donoghue for just this season, would you do it?
    I saw someone comparing Cox to Brian Reape earlier. Don't know where that came from. Brian Reape is bit like Conor Loftus - blows hot and cold - more cold than hot. Neither have pace or proper strength that Cox has. Cox reminds me of Brian Hurley from Cork. Has most of the ingredients needed to be an effective inside forward.

MfMan wrote: »
    In other words, they could be playing in CP twice?

No. Their neutral venue match will be Dublin at Croke Park (second game) and they will have to travel to one of the round 4 qualifiers in third game.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭White lighting

harpsman wrote: »
    There’s a different level of pressure playing with Kerry than Roscommon. It’s like a striker being brilliant at a mid table club but not being able to do it at a top club. Or a club player who is the best player at his club and is the first man outfield players look for when kicking the ball in. Then on the county team he’s not the best forward and is not getting as much ball in to him. I think that puts added pressure when he does get the ball. He’s the best full forward that Roscommon have and probably knows he can miss a few and not worry about being taken off or dropped. Just my opinion

Its not as if Kerrys sub forwards are top class. I would say Roscommon Donie Smith and Andy Glennon are every bit as good as what Kerry have to bring off the bench. Roscommons problem have not been their forwards last few years.
    And i get why Kerry folk say he wasnt loss last few years and Mark O'Se said nobody was that bothered but they should be now.Its fact he has been the stand out "Kerry" forward in 2019.
    Clifford has been injured most league so Cox has proformed to a level above that. Geaney is only starting on reputation as his form is not what it should be. O'Donohue is not the player he was. Killiane spillane is Muck and wouldnt make most county panels has to be only on it because his surname. O'Brien i dont rate.
    If Kerrys forwards dont improve they will go no further than they did last year. They need to let lose this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

You mightn't call it criticism, but you are undermining his quality by saying that he currently wouldn't and shouldn't make the Kerry panel. That there are better players than Cox who can't make the Kerry panel.
    Take the Green and Gold tinted glasses off for just one minute - theoretically, if you had the choice to swap Cox for Jamsie O'Donoghue for just this season, would you do it?
    I saw someone comparing Cox to Brian Reape earlier. Don't know where that came from. Brian Reape is bit like Conor Loftus - blows hot and cold - more cold than hot. Neither have pace or proper strength that Cox has. Cox reminds me of Brian Hurley from Cork. Has most of the ingredients needed to be an effective inside forward.

What are you talking about?? He didnt make the Kerry panel, that's why he went to Roscommon.

He wasnt even close - there are no tinted glasses, just factual information

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

DDC1990 wrote:
    . A tight Man Marker or a Quick Corner Back who endeavours to get in front of him will shut him out of the game.
    A bit like Brian Hurley so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,376 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I expect Cork to give Kerry a better game than in recent years, wouldn't be too hard, because they are going quite well in training and challenge games. This has not been the case for several years. They appear a lot fitter now aswell. Only 6 started last years game while there are about 5 making their Munster final debuts. I fully expect Kerry's football ability to kick on in the second half for a comfortable enough win.
    Hopefully Cork perform and make a game of it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

keane2097 wrote:
    You've moved away from the lucky and fitter tag you had us at in 2011 and 2013.

On to "they cant do 2 in row"

To this one.

It's good to see you are progressive in your thinking Keane!!!

At some stage you have to talk about football. Rather than any reason that has anything to do with Dublin having better footballers than Kerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Any reports on what ticket sales have been like?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭White lighting

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I expect Cork to give Kerry a better game than in recent years, wouldn't be too hard, because they are going quite well in training and challenge games. This has not been the case for several years. They appear a lot fitter now aswell. Only 6 started last years game while there are about 5 making their Munster final debuts. I fully expect Kerry's football ability to kick on in the second half for a comfortable enough win.
    Hopefully Cork perform and make a game of it.

Cork going well in challenges but you cant read anything into them as there is zero intensity in majority of them.
    Donie Buckley was saying last week that Kerry were training like savages so i fully expect them to be closest to the Dubs this year

Stoner wrote: »
    You've moved away from the lucky and fitter tag you had us at in 2011 and 2013.

On to "they cant do 2 in row"

To this one.

It's good to see you are progressive in your thinking Keane!!!

At some stage you have to talk about football. Rather than any reason that has anything to do with Dublin having better footballers than Kerry.

I was just throwing out an idiotic line in response to an idiotic line. I don't actually believe it.

I have certainly not changed my opinion on lucky in '11. Doubt I ever said the only reason Dublin won in '13 was that they were fitter. They were clearly a better team and clearly a better panel. We could have chinned them that day but it would have been a 'puncher's chance' lucky one. I had no hope before that match, no hope at half time, briefly had some hope around 60 mins in and had no complaints after.

Same as '16, we could have snuck it, but would lose 80 times out of a hundred at least.

Dublin are miles better than Kerry and have been since at least the start of 2013 (probably were much better in '12 as well). This team really took off that year I think, the '11 and '12 teams were good, but not special like they have since become.

Godge and his mouth-breather posts are aggravating and I often respond childishly on the rare occasion I don't avoid the forum over him, as in this case. I have no problem saying Dublin are the best team of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,376 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Cork going well in challenges but you cant read anything into them as there is zero intensity in majority of them.
    Donie Buckley was saying last week that Kerry were training like savages so i fully expect them to be closest to the Dubs this year

In recent years, Cork hadn't really been going well in challenges or training- judging by their lack of fitness. There is a clear difference this year, it wont be enough to win of course, I'm merely hoping it's enough for a performance Cork football supporters can talk about with a bit of pride for a change.
    Kerry always train like savages;)

keane2097 wrote:
    I was just throwing out an idiotic line in response to an idiotic line. I don't actually believe it.

Sound. Good luck against Cork. I don't think you'll need it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

I've heard that Cork absolutely embarrassed Dublin and that Jim Gavin was furious. All rumours though.

Stoner wrote: »
    Sound. Good luck against Cork. I don't think you'll need it though

I'd love to think someone would give ye a good rattle this year but it looks if anything it looks like most of the contenders are going backwards. I thought we were shaping up OK this time last year and it turned out to be a disaster, maybe they'll surprise us in the other direction this year but it's not looking too great.

It would be hard to argue that this Dublin team wouldn't deserve to hit the five. Hopefully if they do it will be with a bit of a bang rather than a whimper from the rest!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

harpsman wrote: »

This is it in a nutshell. Even if he moved back to Kerry David Clifford is the main man and Cox would be a peripheral figure. I think it would be short lived. He has found the right environment in Roscommon and is balling, good luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Any reports on what ticket sales have been like?

40-45k according to OTB

• Registered Users Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

If Cork don't manage to put up some sort of a performance against an injury plagued Kerry panel on Saturday then they need to take a (nother) long look at themselves.

I expect a Kerry win by around 6 points but hopefully it'll be in the melting pot with 10 or 15 minutes to go because the craic of beating Cork is waning these last few years they way the games have gone.

Kerry are not great goal scorers the last two seasons so I think it could end up something like 1-19 to 1-13.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

BPKS wrote: »
    If Cork don't manage to put up some sort of a performance against an injury plagued Kerry panel on Saturday then they need to take a (nother) long look at themselves.

I expect a Kerry win by around 6 points but hopefully it'll be in the melting pot with 10 or 15 minutes to go because the craic of beating Cork is waning these last few years they way the games have gone.

Kerry are not great goal scorers the last two seasons so I think it could end up something like 1-19 to 1-13.

Kerry are ok on the injury front, JOD is the only doubt from what I’ve heard they have almost everyone back.

Cork have some good forwards but were utterly woeful at the back last year and it’s hard to see how the can win this one, stranger things have happened though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    I've heard that Cork absolutely embarrassed Dublin and that Jim Gavin was furious. All rumours though.

This Cork v Dublin challenge match must have had a crowd of about 500,000 at it, given the numbers of people who seem to know everything about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

ProudDUB wrote: »
    This Cork v Dublin challenge match must have had a crowd of about 500,000 at it, given the numbers of people who seem to know everything about it.

:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement