Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OneBigSwitch: Bord Gais Energy Gas & Electricity deals

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

I have prepay meters for both gas and electric which suited us when money was tight and was easier to control spending. I'm looking to go back to direct debit so meters will have to be changed. Do companies charge to change meters when switching.
    I made the biggest mistake last year by going with prepay power from electric Ireland smarter payg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭south

I have prepay meters for both gas and electric which suited us when money was tight and was easier to control spending. I'm looking to go back to direct debit so meters will have to be changed. Do companies charge to change meters when switching.
    I made the biggest mistake last year by going with prepay power from electric Ireland smarter payg.

200 Euro for gas to be changed and should be free for electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,667 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've been with Electric Ireland for the last few years for gas/electricity, primarily due to their Equaliser plan which has an agreed fixed rate per month based on average usage regardless of the bill. With the warmer summer/autumn months I find it generally leaves me in credit by the end.
    I much prefer this known amount coming from my account each month rather than "bill shock" or potential DD screw-ups for hundreds of Euro.

Do the rest of these companies offer the same terms or is it the standard DD/billing arrangements?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

Most do, yea.

Bord Gais is called leval pay. Energia and Airtricity have something too....but I can't remember the names. I always use it for the same reasons you outlined.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I've been with Electric Ireland for the last few years for gas/electricity, primarily due to their Equaliser plan which has an agreed fixed rate per month based on average usage regardless of the bill. With the warmer summer/autumn months I find it generally leaves me in credit by the end.
    I much prefer this known amount coming from my account each month rather than "bill shock" or potential DD screw-ups for hundreds of Euro.

Do the rest of these companies offer the same terms or is it the standard DD/billing arrangements?

Why don’t you go for the best rate you can find and then

A) if it’s SSE pay an amount each month using the card they provide (swipe card). Say you make 12 equal payments, you have equaled out summer and winter yourself. You still have to sign up for direct debit but in effect you might never have to use it. Payments via An Post.

B) if it’s Energia just make a payment each month from your current account and similar to SSE if you ‘ get ahead’ you might never have to pay by direct debit ( you’ll still have to sign up, but if you pay 12 monthly amounts you’ve effectively equalized the bills)

Word of warning: don’t make payments 11 and 12 ( but keep the money ring fenced ) in order to change suppliers more easy) The ten payments should mean a very small final bill if you do change.

I assume you can do similar with EI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Gerlad

Be warned - Bord Gais adjust your level pay even early in the year to reflect your winter monthly usage which defeats the whole purpose of having a fixed payment every month.

Advertisement