Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

David's going Dairying.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭davidk1394

A small update for everyone. Breeding is coming to an end here. It went well and the majority of the heifers were served on their natural heat. There's been a few repeats alright.
    We've been busy at paperwork the last few weeks but everything is moving along. I got the herd number in my name, bank applications are gone in and TAMS is applied for. Sorting out paperwork is the slowest part so far. Grass is still growing for the moment but rain is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

davidk1394 wrote: »
    A small update for everyone. Breeding is coming to an end here. It went well and the majority of the heifers were served on their natural heat. There's been a few repeats alright.
    We've been busy at paperwork the last few weeks but everything is moving along. I got the herd number in my name, bank applications are gone in and TAMS is applied for. Sorting out paperwork is the slowest part so far. Grass is still growing for the moment but rain is needed.

How many weeks breeding did you do?
    Heifers gone quiet here too, apart from the biggest one in the batch. She got her 3rd serve this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭morphy87

Do you mind me asking how long were you undecided before you decided to go dairying? It’s a big call to make

How many weeks breeding did you do?
    Heifers gone quiet here too, apart from the biggest one in the batch. She got her 3rd serve this morning!

It'll be 6 weeks this monday. I had 6 repeats so far. Like yourself I had one heifer on her 3rd serve. I had though luck being sold 3 free martins and only finding out last week when i scanned them. Thankfully it's all sorted now.

morphy87 wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking how long were you undecided before you decided to go dairying? It’s a big call to make

It's being playing around in my head for a few years. I suppose I made up my mind when I bought the first calves. But I knew it was really for me just before Christmas. I gave 2 months non stop relief milking for a near by farmer and I really enjoyed it.

• Advertisement

It's being playing around in my head for a few years. I suppose I mase up my mind when I bought the first calves. But I knew it was really for me just before Christmas. I gave 2 months non stop relief milking for a near by farmer and I really enjoyed it.

I have been thinking about it for a while,always had an interest in it,do you mind me asking how many you are hoping to milk? And also did you go the grant route when doing sheds and equipment?

I have been thinking about it for a while,always had an interest in it,do you mind me asking how many you are hoping to milk? And also did you go the grant route when doing sheds and equipment?

I will start with 70 next year, 100 the second year and work towards 120 at max. I am drawing the grant on the parlor, bulk tank, gas heating and an auto wash system. I'm converting and adding on to an existing shed for 124 cubicles and a new build for the parlor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I will start with 70 next year, 100 the second year and work towards 120 at max. I am drawing the grant on the parlor, bulk tank, gas heating and an auto wash system. I'm converting and adding on to an existing shed for 124 cubicles and a new build for the parlor.
    Will you be starting with 70 of your own reared heifers or will you buy a few parlour experienced cows?

Great stuff you’re well on the way so,what is the grant, I presume 60% if you’re a young trained farmer?

Bullocks wrote: »
    Will you be starting with 70 of your own reared heifers or will you buy a few parlour experienced cows?

I have 50 of my own and I'll buy 20 cows. If I can get a few mature cows I will.

@morphy, yes I'll get the 60% grant. I'm not in a partnership. We're doing a straight transfer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Just catching this thread now. Best of luck David. We are 4 months into dairying and no regrets. Like yourself the target was 70 in year 1. We bought 71 bullers last march/ april 2019 and were lucky to get them all in calf albeit 2 calved fairly late (end april and early may). Ai'd them all to angus kya then let out angus and limo bulls. Ran them all through the parlour for a couple pf weeks before calving started and fed them precalver through the feeders. Was great help settling them in. Calving went very well had a couple of real tough pulls and one section( the limo bull was probably not a great idea). Had arranged a man to buy all calves out of the yard at 2 weeks which was a massive advantage to us. Lost one heifer with gangerene mastitis so ended up with 70 which is exactly 5 rows in the parlour. Have 19 more heifers bought and served for next year and will buy another 10 or 12 incalf in the back end.
    Like yourself the aim is 100ish.....98 is 7 rows so that'll do nicely ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Young95

Just catching this thread now. Best of luck David. We are 4 months into dairying and no regrets. Like yourself the target was 70 in year 1. We bought 71 bullers last march/ april 2019 and were lucky to get them all in calf albeit 2 calved fairly late (end april and early may). Ai'd them all to angus kya then let out angus and limo bulls. Ran them all through the parlour for a couple pf weeks before calving started and fed them precalver through the feeders. Was great help settling them in. Calving went very well had a couple of real tough pulls and one section( the limo bull was probably not a great idea). Had arranged a man to buy all calves out of the yard at 2 weeks which was a massive advantage to us. Lost one heifer with gangerene mastitis so ended up with 70 which is exactly 5 rows in the parlour. Have 19 more heifers bought and served for next year and will buy another 10 or 12 incalf in the back end.

What farming system were you doing before you entered dairying ?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Young95 wrote: »
    What farming system were you doing before you entered dairying ?

Working full time off farm and suckling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Following this thread from the start but following even closer now that I'm thinking of getting into dairy. The max we can have on our land is around 70 I'd look to start off at 40/50 and increase then to 70 by year 3. Currently have a 7 unit parlor that won't cost an arm and a leg to get running again and will extend once set up is the plan if we go ahead

That was a big decision to give up a job,was it hard to source bulling heifers?

Following this thread from the start but following even closer now that I'm thinking of getting into dairy. The max we can have on our land is around 70 I'd look to start off at 40/50 and increase then to 70 by year 3. Currently have a 7 unit parlor that won't cost an arm and a leg to get running again and will extend once set up is the plan if we go ahead

Back down our way it’s the same, lads that got out of cows going back in, how much land would you want to graze 70 cows and how many acres of silage would you need?

@morph87 my aul lad gave up dairy in 2007 I was only 13 so after working in health service for last 9 years or so and the father pushing on I'm looking to go make a living from the farm and seems only way of doing that at the moment seems to be through dairy. I've done some relief milking and loved it so now decisions need to be made. Have a thread here too. I'm not sure exactly land to stock and silage etc were very early stages but I've seen the general consensus is 2-2.5lu/ha.

@morph87 my aul lad gave up dairy in 2007 I was only 13 so after working in health service for last 9 years or so and the father pushing on I'm looking to go make a living from the farm and seems only way of doing that at the moment seems to be through dairy. I've done some relief milking and loved it so now decisions need to be made. Have a thread here too. I'm not sure exactly land to stock and silage etc were very early stages but I've seen the general consensus is 2-2.5lu/ha.

Read your thread their now,looking back our way any one that was farming full time years ago were all dairying or else very large beef farmers, the majority of the herds back our way are around 70 90 cows and all these people are going well,

I’d do nothing till the new cap comes in . 2 to 2.5 lu/ha might be a thing of the past if you looked at the journal on Thursday!!

I’d do nothing till the new cap comes in . 2 to 2.5 lu/ha might be a thing of the past if you looked at the journal on Thursday!!

So what happens then for anyone above these limits at present?

• Advertisement

Young95 wrote:

I never saw the journal. When is the new CAP expected?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I, having gone from dairying to beef and now organic, see your difficulty as I'm building my knowledge on the other side. All these are ball park;
    Lets take the 100 cows needing the 100 acres.
    Silage cut would be 40 acres X 12 ton = 480 ton
    60 acres for grazing at that point. You could go to 2 cows/acre, but with grass growth variable, best simply to bale strong paddocks. Could have 150 bales.
    Rotation of about 21 days, less at peak grass growing.
    Paddock size. Many now prefer 36 hours grazing in a paddock. So every third milking, cows have to clean out a paddock. Moving every 12 hours can make cows very restless if that routine is changed for any reason.
    60/22 = 2.7 acres, Between a hectare and 3 acres for three grazings.
    Roadway essential and don't make paddocks too deep from the roadway as, in wet, poor weather and spring, you may need to subdivide and leave cows different access points after each milking. Good water system, adequate pipe size and large troughs with full flow ball cocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Forget about paddocks ,have a central roadway fenced off with water troughs spaced out and buy 20 rolls of strong polywire and 200 pigtails and you can give the cows extra ground when growth is slow !!!

cute geoge wrote: »
    Forget about paddocks ,have a central roadway fenced off with water troughs spaced out and buy 20 rolls of strong polywire and 200 pigtails and you can give the cows extra ground when growth is slow !!!

Very good idea as you can dictate the size of your paddocks depending on growth and demand

I never saw the journal. When is the new CAP expected?

2022 should be in by then . Would u consider organic dairying ?

So what happens then for anyone above these limits at present?

I’d say they will have to reduce stock or plant trees would be the two major things . But there another few things as well like planting hedgerows etc .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I’d say they will have to reduce stock or plant trees would be the two major things . But there another few things as well like planting hedgerows etc .

Maybe mixed species swarths aswell

Young95 wrote:
    2022 should be in by then . Would u consider organic dairying ?

It could be looked into before we start (if we start). It getting organic feed, straw etc would be hard I'd imagine
    Young95 wrote:

We have lots of mature hedgerows on farm and OH has small plantation on his so could always keep his land to plant another 8-10 acres to offset CAP requirements if we were to dairy in mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

It could be looked into before we start (if we start). It getting organic feed, straw etc would be hard I'd imagine

We have lots of mature hedgerows on farm and OH has small plantation on his so could always keep his land to plant another 8-10 acres to offset CAP requirements if we were to dairy in mine

I think you can use some non organic straw for bedding only, any included in feed would have to be organic though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

All the straw can be non organic on organic farms. Good way to import carbon. Buying ration is very dear, double the price. One has to use other strategies for energy and protein as much as possible.
    The price for organic milk would need to improve. Certainly Glenisk's price wouldn't be groundbreaking.

Up to now most dairy farmers would have used one or two tetraploid grasses and the bag (artificial fert). That doesn't look like the recipie for the future. As poster above says look at multi species and incl white clover.
    Very handy if you are able to cut silage on all the farm. If not and there is dedicated ground then that sward can be different. Use upright open varieties.
    Really do your research on the type of cow you want.

Delighted to see some 70/120 herds being envisioned. Not all should be aiming for 3/400 cows. Whatever way you skin it, a 100 cows requires a labour unit.
    I'd prefer four farm families with an avg of 100 cows, instead of one owning 400 cows and employing three (non Irish) people.

Advertisement