Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Retro Game Intros

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,454 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Duke Nukem: A Time to Kill.

Game was pretty mediocre but always liked the intro. Especially the track.

Haven't actually watched it in years so it may have aged terribly! NSFW for pixelated boobage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,817 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Always thought the Vagrant Story intro was pure class. Really sets the tone of the game and the credits make it feel cinematic. It ends with a fight with wyvern that's been impaled with a load of arrows.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The 3DO Road Rash intro is pure class.
    The collected videos from the 3DO The Need for Speed are also great, much of which was left out of the PS and other ports of the game.

But this is probably my favourite of all time, at least in part because it gave my new, at the time, Dolby Prologic set-up a much-needed work out.

Master of the Universe

Anyone else kinda miss these CGI intros from the 32 bit era?

I remember buying a game and half the enjoyment about first firing it up was seeing how cool the intro was (and wondering how long it would take for games to start looking like this)

Amazing how rubbish it looks now, but the PS1 Tekken intro used to look great;

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,817 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Miss them as well. Namco and square were in an arms race against each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Still love the opening to final fantasy VIII

• Registered Users Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭Inviere

o1s1n wrote: »

I remember buying a game and half the enjoyment about first firing it up was seeing how cool the intro was (and wondering how long it would take for games to start looking like this)

I remember always thinking "those will be the in-game graphics on the next console after this one", when seeing those. If you imagine they're running on the console that came out after the 16bit era, you can get a sense of just how much wow factor the PS1 packed. It was jaw dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ozozo

Not sure if it can be considered as retro but I always enjoyed Worms 2 intro video :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkzFMfCamdU

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

I thought the Tekken 2 intro was much more epic personally.
    I remember being amazed by it on a demo disc, at how great the CGI graphics looked, and how sexy the blonde looked in it haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,626 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

always sends a chill down my spine

• Advertisement

Quake II had a fairly decent albeit basic intro also, with your entire platoon wiped out it was enough to get your blood pumping for revenge, and then the level opens with the track Descent into Cerberon plays giving the perfect atmosphere.

The intro story in the manual was very well written also, finishing with:

"You leap out the crushed pod door, alone, with blaster in hand, and tear off into the room with the bittersweet stench of vengeance coursing through your veins…"

Heres the full page:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=588947632

Master of the Universe

Inviere wrote: »
    I remember always thinking "those will be the in-game graphics on the next console after this one", when seeing those. If you imagine they're running on the console that came out after the 16bit era, you can get a sense of just how much wow factor the PS1 packed. It was jaw dropping.

I know right? Jumping from 16 bit sprites to 32 bit CGI, it wasn't unreasonable to think that the next generation would look like the CGI intros. I really was expecting that with the PS2 release, especially with all the talk of the Emotion Engine etc - when I finally got one and saw how similar (relatively speaking) games were to PS1 games, it turned me off gaming for that whole generation.
    Doge wrote: »
    I thought the Tekken 2 intro was much more epic personally.
    I remember being amazed by it on a demo disc, at how great the CGI graphics looked, and how sexy the blonde looked in it haha!

Ahhhh it was actually the Tekken 2 into I was thinking of afterall! Yeah must have watched it a million times on that demo that came with the console. They really packed a lot into that disc.

I found the jump from PS1 to PS2 pretty major. 3D games on PS1 and N64 felt like the engine was about to tear itself apart at any moment due to the texture warping, low framerates and other issues from that generation. The Dreamcast/PS2 was the first generation where the game engines felt stable without being held together by jank.

Master of the Universe

I can appreciate that looking back alright, but did you notice that at the time?

PS1 games looked amazing when they came out. I remember being absolutely blown away by the likes of Gran Turismo, MGS and Resident Evil. Can't say I would have been sitting there noticing flaws, sure my brain wouldn't have had the experience/knowledge to really understand what the flaws were (maybe a bit of clipping, that was about it)

Well PS1 and N64 games looked amazing at release but I was also familiar with PC games and by 1998 they were starting to look very shabby. Even in arcades you had naomi based games and stuff like Daytona. For instance I played Tomb Raider 2 on my PC with a first gen Power VR graphics card but played Tomb Raider 3 on the PS1 and the visual jank was very evident. Going from that generation to the Dreamcast was a massive leap in 3D visual fidelity, far great than any generation since.... and probably ever will be due to how visual advancements slowdown with each gen.

I know right? Jumping from 16 bit sprites to 32 bit CGI, it wasn't unreasonable to think that the next generation would look like the CGI intros. I really was expecting that with the PS2 release, especially with all the talk of the Emotion Engine etc - when I finally got one and saw how similar (relatively speaking) games were to PS1 games, it turned me off gaming for that whole generation.

I'm not sure how true it is but the CG intro for Metal Gear VR missions was apparently created using the engine they were creating for MGS2 on PS2. When you look back at it it's very possible it was. The FFVIII dance scene was also recreated on PS2 hardware as a tech demo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet!

Totally forgot about this one!
    Impressive for the Mega Drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Surprised this one hadn't gotten a mention either... blew my tiny mind back in the early 90s!

Another World:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭Inviere

Star Lord wrote: »
    Surprised this one hadn't gotten a mention either... blew my tiny mind back in the early 90s!

Same! Incredible sense of atmosphere, and have that real "Amiga" feel to it that just wasn't properly available on consoles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

This is the first time I thought a game intro actually looked good, Tekken had really stiff animation during its intros and N64 games themselves were blurry mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I always liked the Ridge Racer 4 intro, I thought it suited the game perfectly.

I always liked the Ridge Racer 4 intro, I thought it suited the game perfectly.

Best bit of the game!

pfft... best ever

"Gay bonaaaaa ret's go away"

Master of the Universe

Star Lord wrote: »

Another World:

One of my favourite things about that intro is how seamlessly it melds into the first level.

To the point where I'm sure 100% of people who have played that game die the on their first attempt within seconds as they dont realise it's started :D

Shenmue II, designed for Sega Dreamcast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsLUrsxWvxw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

This is the first time I thought a game intro actually looked good, Tekken had really stiff animation during its intros and N64 games themselves were blurry mess.

That is definitely one of my favourites, Tekken 2 up there aswell.

A fantastic PS2 one is onimusha 3

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

One of my favourite things about that intro is how seamlessly it melds into the first level.

To the point where I'm sure 100% of people who have played that game die the on their first attempt within seconds as they dont realise it's started :D

Yup... absolutely!!! :D

Voted #1 for "oh **** I have a broken cart... to welcome to one of the greatest gaming moments on the NES" in the span of 6 seconds

I swear my heart initially dropped when I got this for my 12th birthday and turned it on to think I had a broken copy in the first 3 seconds. I was on the verge of blowing into the cart when the Batman finally showed ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

This is prob my favourite.

Advertisement