Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smallest ever footballer/hurler

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Lads,

You can't trust any official figures. Remember there is a lot of embellishment out there.

I personally know some well known All Ireland winning inter county players from over the years who appeared as well over 6 foot in official match programs and the like. Now I'm 5'10 and I can tell you for nothing they are no more 6'1 or 6'2 than I am. I will keep the names to myself.

The same goes on in rugby.

Some sports sure but GAA and rugby union are decent. Went to college with pro rugby players and intercounty footballers and their listed heights are pretty accurate. Any of the GAA lads that head out to Australia are measured similar to their GAA heights during the combine

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Johnny Davey from Sligo is about 5'5", one of the best attacking half backs in the country for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

Eoin Kelly Tipp hurler... No where near 6 foot as i've seen listed in some places. I'm certainly nowhere near 6 foot and he's my height.

When he was in school he was only a whip of a lad, fantastic hurler all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Tommy Walsh kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭cnoc

Dinny Ryan of Tipp. I saw him go under Pat Hartigan's legs in 1972 Munster final in Killarney.

• Advertisement

Did Cork not win the munster final 1972.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

He's talking about the famous final in 1973, when Limerick won with Joe Kenna (?) free with last puck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Bonniedog wrote: »
    My favourite Fan story is after one final - might have been 1975 - he was stopped after the match by Mick Dunne to say a few words but he told him that he couldn't stop because he had to go to Mass!

True story.

True story... after the 1979 final v Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

P j Molloy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Sylvie Linnane?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

or..."Lightning" Murray

Joey Towell who played for Dublin in the 70s was a low sized chap. Some man to get a goal and tough as old boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

John "shorty" Treanor.

Joe Daly - Did Cork not win the munster final 1972.
    Bonniedog - He's talking about the famous final in 1973, when Limerick won with Joe Kenna (?) free with last puck.

J. Daly, - Yes you are correct.
    B. Dog, - In the 1973 Munster final it was Richie Bennis who scored the winning point, with Babs talikng to R. Bennis whilst taking the 70?

Does anyone remember the year of a Munster senior hurling championship game played in Killarney on a very, very wet day between Limerick and Tipp? Babs (again) changed the wet sliothar for a dry one when taking a free!

cnoc, you are correct. Thought it might have been Mick Roche doing the verbals?

Was that the 1971 final you are talking about? All sorts of skulduggery apparently. I was there as a seven year old with Tipp family and remember for some strange reason Tipp supporters throwing orange peels at the Limerick goalkeeper. Mad crowd. first really big match I remember before the Dubs footballers in 1974.

Was that the 1971 final you are talking about? All sorts of skulduggery apparently. I was there as a seven year old with Tipp family and remember for some strange reason Tipp supporters throwing orange peels at the Limerick goalkeeper. Mad crowd. first really big match I remember before the Dubs footballers in 1974.

Correct it was the 1971 munster hurling final.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Johnny McGurk of Derry was short, the Irish race has a lot of manlets, it makes you wonder how they defeated the Vikings in battle.

Thanks for that info. Me auld memory must be going!

I can remember that, but not important stuff from last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,496 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Another code, but Manchester City are the smallest team on average in the Premier League. Average just under 5'9".

https://talksport.com/football/453245/premier-league-average-height-smallest-tallest/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Another code, but Manchester City are the smallest team on average in the Premier League. Average just under 5'9".

https://talksport.com/football/453245/premier-league-average-height-smallest-tallest/

No, their average is closer to 5' 11". 5' 10.74792" to be exact.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Michael Murphy of Clare and Tulla in the 70s was very short but had a mighty heart,

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SophieLockhart

Mickey Ned Sully was reduced from 6'1 to 5'5 after the Dubs knocked his head off

Advertisement