Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

A gardener friend said very similar to you when I spoke with her last weekend in that it’s a very stubborn one to try to control. I have three new beds dug out & more or less prepped.. well, one is old, but was taken over with buttercup, dog leaves & some nettles. Took a long time clearing it out and it’s now mostly covered in cardboard. I will fabric & cardboard cover these new beds over winter and when not in use to save all the strenuous weed digging.

I will get Dicophar and start using it.

Post edited by Mr.Wemmick on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Correct timing and spraying large buttercups with good foliage is quite effective but when they are growing in a closely cut lawn you can knock then a bit they seem to come back.

I sprayed some that were growing well in long grass last August and had very good results.

(Referring to selective weedkiller)

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,859 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is it just me who likes the buttercup there?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,242 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Lovely woodland, but yes, looks like the situation in my garden!

And yes, the buttercup in the lawn creeps into surrounding areas, except where surrounding areas are wild, when it creeps into the lawn. I have a few patches on the edge of the lawn that are 100% buttercup. At least I can spray them with a clear conscience!

I use the term 'lawn' very loosely.

Just be aware that grass cuttings from areas you have treated with any selective weed killer shouldn't be put on the compost heap. Well thats what they say but I've never had a issue however my compost heaps get left about 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Please don't send weed killer treated grass cuttings or weeds to the brown bin. Many weedkillers are unaffected by the heat generated by even commercial composting and will kill seedling and plants when used as a mulch or compost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭macraignil

No, I think it looks quite well in the developing woodland area pictured. I tend to just leave a lot of the buttercup in parts of my own garden as it is at this time of year as I appreciate the nice bright flower colour and it seems like pollinator insects enjoy them as well. Still have to pull them out of some parts of the garden fairly regularly but there is a sort of truce at this time of year when the flowers are out.

Happy gardening!

The first year I was in this house, moved in in August, the garden had been neglected then I neglected it some more and the whole area was covered in a golden sheen of buttercups. Very pretty. You can have too much of a good thing though!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,547 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I spent ages clearing it from my small woodland and I'm glad I did. It's now a mass of Wood Anemone, Primroses, Bluebells, Lords & Ladies and a few Spotted Orchids and others. I much prefer the variety clearing the Buttercup allowed. I also means I have no buttercups in the adjoining lawn.

I’m so jealous.. I would love an assortment of woodland plants all thriving side by side, each coming into their own at various times of the year. One day, I hope..

How did you get rid of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,547 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Thick wit. I dug it out continually until one year it was gone. I don't use weedkiller at all in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,902 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I gave up on the weed infested flowerbeds I made a thread about a while back and just strimmed them all back and let the buttercup have them, meh, its green and healthy looking and it gets a lot of visitors (plus zero maintenance which I value most of all).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,859 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

again, it may be just down to letting your canopy close up.

yes I do agree. It will take time. I am moving a few more trees in there late autumn as they were planted elsewhere in the garden and are spreading too much. Perfect though for the woodland.

A friend just sent me this pic, I’ve no clue what it is..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Violet. Probably dog violet.

There have been masses of violets this year and they are still in flower since about early March and not showing any signs of stopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭coillsaille

Another flower that has appeared in the wilder part of the garden and wondering what it's name is .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭wildwillow

looks like a hardy geranium. Probably a garden escapee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭standardg60

I think the leaves are as diagnostic as the flower. Put the two together and I'm sure your right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭qwabercd

In the top 2 pictures, I have a number of these in my raised beds. Is it some type of ferngrass and I assume I should get rid? I planted a lot of annuals last month that could struggle to compete!

Also in the third photo, I have a few of these also. I think this looks invaisve and I'm guessing these should be culled too?

Just moved to the house 3 months ago so it's hard to know exactly what was planted and what is unwanted, but definitely the first of the above photos falls into the unwanted category.

First two look like skutchgrass to me, you don't want that.

Third pic, purple toadflax I think.

The grass is possibly annual meadow grass but I'm not good at identifying grasses. The bottom one looks like it might be Toadflax, Linaria purpurea (not a weed)? Google for images to see if its the same.

Yes, the third picture is purple toadflax, a Google lens search did actually throw that up last week but I'd forgotten.

I think you're right on the scutch grass too, quack grass had shown up on one of my previous searches. It is very prevalent so it will be a tough battle ahead I think.

Thanks for the responses, really appreciated.

We have purple toadflax self seeded in our garden, and it's welcome to do so.

Yes it looks like it will be nice when fully bloomed, I will keep them!

I didn't realise toadflax grew tall like that, I thought it was just the little purple one that grows on walls. Will have to look out for seeds of that.

• Advertisement

I'll see if I can get you some. Wife has a few growing in a tub.

Advertisement