Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music acts you just can't get into

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭js35

Ed Sheeran
    U2
    Coldplay
    Cardi b
    Nicki minaj

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Who are some artists you have given a go listening to, but just can't get into their music try as you might?

Anything after 1996

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I don't understand people who claim to be big fans of music who think that music ceased to be good after a certain year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

I don't get the hype over recent bands like Idles and Fontaines DC, find them irritating to be honest.

Fontaines DC are a band 7-8 years ago I'd have gladly ignored.

Now I'm practically praying with thanks to them. Not that I'm necessarily a huge fan.

But my God the amount of wimpish whiney miserable Irish bands we've had to listen to recently. Not good!

We're in the age of the moaney male-oriented irish "music". And its pretty awful. (I'd rather not name and shame - but they know who they are.)

Good luck to the Fontaines!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Genghis

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Fontaines DC are a band 7-8 years ago I'd have gladly ignored.

Now I'm practically praying with thanks to them. Not that I'm necessarily a huge fan.

But my God the amount of wimpish whiney miserable Irish bands we've had to listen to recently. Not good!

We're in the age of the moaney male-oriented irish "music". And its pretty awful. (I'd rather not name and shame - but they know who they are.)

Good luck to the Fontaines!!

Well said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Genghis

Kendrick Lamar - just can't see it, gave him a chance at EP last year and still couldn't see it

Pink Floyd - boring / rock by numbers

Hozier - nothing exciting, highly over rated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Nirvana..... I really don’t get them at all three albums of absolute rubbish, the unplugged was alright mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Robbie Williams
    Eminem
    Bob Dylan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mollser

Zeek12 wrote: »

This x10. Same with DJ's on the radio. Seems you have to be this high pitched whiney voiced Male to get a gig nowadays. So annoying and weird

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Deagol wrote: »
    Anything post-2000. Getting old or music has just turned to crap I don't know but haven't found anything i can get into for almost 20 years now :(

What makes me wonder if it's not an age thing is that I found lots of older music I've never heard before that interested me.

I'm the same. Better off going back and listening to stuff I missed out on the first time round

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I don't understand people who claim to be big fans of music who think that music ceased to be good after a certain year.

Very much the same, tend to listen to older music more often than new purely because of my age, but love finding new or old music I haven't heard before. Spotify daily mix has come up with some gems here.

Stuff I don't like, most X factor boy bands, Abba, Oasis, AC/DC, U2, Chris De Burgh and I guess loads more that thankfully don't come to mind.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,004 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Genghis wrote: »
    Kendrick Lamar - just can't see it, gave him a chance at EP last year and still couldn't see it

Pink Floyd - boring / rock by numbers

Hozier - nothing exciting, highly over rated

just had to call you up on this......

Pink Floyd can be accused of many things.... and yes boring can be one... but absolutely cannot be considered 'rock by numbers'... as they were one of the most musically progressive bands that ever existed.

They existed and progressed from hippy dippy late sixties, through the "inner space" experimentation of the 70s to drug fuelled pomp of the 80s

They had a guitarist who many would consider among the best ever... with the old saying that "Gilmour could do more with one note than many guitarists can do with a whole fret-board"

They had a lyricist who played it anything but safe.... denigrating the music industry they worked in, and even worse, denigrating the fans who came and paid money to see them....

they put on record breaking and mold breaking live shows which are still events of legend and myth.

so you might consider them boring, definitely pretentious.....

but one thing they absolutely 100% were not... is "rock by numbers"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I think the meaning of the thread has been lost. I can't get into Pink Floyd though God knows I've tried. I do not want to 'get into' Robbie Williams because I believe his music has no merit whatsoever so I'm never going to listen to him nor feel like I'm missing out. See also Ed Sheeran.

I have persevered with the likes of Scott Walker's later stuff, Aphex Twin and other such experimentalists and found rewarding, complicated music.

But no, not Robbie Williams.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

The Who
    The Kinks (I like the singles mind you)
    Bob Dylan
    Janis Joplin
    David Bowie
    The Rolling Stones (with a few exceptions)
    The Smiths (though I love certain songs)
    Sex Pistols
    New Order
    Rush (and I love prog rock)
    Emerson Lake & Palmer (ditto)
    The Ramones
    Joy Division
    Sonic Youth (and I really, really want to like Sonic Youth)
    REM
    Talking Heads (I'm still trying)
    Primal Scream
    Alice In Chains
    Guns N Roses
    The National
    The Flaming Lips
    Pulp
    Arcade Fire (it's safe to say I f**king hate them)
    post-2000 U2
    The Strokes
    Interpol
    Muse (hate them too)
    Foals
    MGMT (just couldn't get into noughties indie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 emilynxlan

Billie Eilish. A lot of my peers are into her but I just don't get her.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

The Who
    The Kinks (I like the singles mind you)
    Bob Dylan
    Janis Joplin
    David Bowie
    The Rolling Stones (with a few exceptions)
    The Smiths (though I love certain songs)
    Sex Pistols
    New Order
    Rush (and I love prog rock)
    The Ramones
    Joy Division
    Sonic Youth (and I really, really want to like Sonic Youth)
    REM
    Talking Heads (I'm still trying)
    Primal Scream
    Alice In Chains
    Guns N Roses
    The National
    The Flaming Lips
    Pulp
    Arcade Fire (it's safe to say I f**king hate them)
    post-2000 U2
    The Strokes
    Interpol
    Muse (hate them too)
    Foals
    MGMT (just couldn't get into noughties indie)

Don't bother, pish compared to previous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Birneybau wrote: »
    Don't bother, pish compared to previous.

Don't I know it, every album since has been a disappointment. There were a few moments on "Songs of Innocence" but the most recent one has to be their worst yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 LorelliPop!

Green Day annoy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Brain Salad Surgery was the first album I heard, mainly because of recommendations and I didn't really get along with it until I heard Tarkus. Tarkus was the one that twigged ELP for me, and Trilogy to a lesser extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Bad religion - vocals angrier than the music!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I wouldn't call any music crap as its subjective and some somewhere like it, but some bands I could never warm to, though I would like few songs are Oasis, Beatles, Rolling stones, U2.

Probably to a lesser extent, I can never seem to listen to a full AC/DC or Nirvana album.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Broooce - loved by lots of people whose musical opinions I respect, and I like the odd song (I'm on Fire is a classic) but I just can't get into him and his sweaty blue-collar anthems.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,340 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

To name but a few:
    Prince
    David Bowie
    The Foo Fighters
    Beyonce
    Jay Z
    Eminem
    Calvin Harris
    Dua Lipa
    One Direction (incl all of their solo stuff)

I have to change channels whenever they come on. I also hate most music coming out these days and I wouldn't be old.

I'm happy to stick with my symphonic metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I like songs and artists from the 60s up to and including this decade.

But I don't get the interest in either The Cranberries or Florence and The Machine.
    Just mediocre, if even.

Advertisement