Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is anyone else starting to become a bit excited?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Yeah but there's this ridiculous quasi-tinfoil thing that somehow "the banks" see crypto as an existential threat to themselves and are always at pains to hinder/slander it, which is complete nonsense of course

Different financial people see the tech/crypto in different light, Buffet thinks BTC is "rat poison squared", Lagarde praised it and Dimon flipped on it

It's just personal opinions
    Well, I guess we're right back at personal opinions because on that we disagree. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,194 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Well, I guess we're right back at personal opinions because on that we disagree. :-)

Possibly, but care to give genuine examples?

Personally I've found the crypto community often always confuses typical bank risk-aversion and central bank warnings as something else

Possibly, but care to give genuine examples?

Personally I've found the crypto community often always confuses typical bank risk-aversion and central bank warnings as something else

I doubt there's much point as we seem to be on opposite ends of that. However, anything muttered by Augustin Carstens - head of the BIS - in relation to cryptocurrency and blockchain. Seems like a good starting point.

• Advertisement

I doubt there's much point as we seem to be on opposite ends of that. However, anything muttered by Augustin Carstens - head of the BIS - in relation to cryptocurrency and blockchain. Seems like a good starting point.

It's his personal views - and coming from an economics and financial background I'd agree with most of what he says

For example, this interview
    https://www.bis.org/speeches/sp180704a.htm

It's his personal views - and coming from an economics and financial background I'd agree with most of what he says

For example, this interview
    https://www.bis.org/speeches/sp180704a.htm
    Ok, well we agree to disagree I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Pretty nice dip at the moment, should make a few of you still looking to buy happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Will wait til the morning but looking for more alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Harmony is starting to move

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Big jump in Zilliqa today in SATs. Up 18%. Is there any news?

Edit: I see Binance reopened trading so that must be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Big jump in Zilliqa today in SATs. Up 18%. Is there any news?

Smart contracts enabled in a week (June 10th), so maybe a pump until then or the day before, then dump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,927 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Last nights dip was too good to pass up. Bought another €400 worth. Dam my need to have round numbers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Fair jump on harmony today

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I see Kin have entered a strategic partnership with the US Government. Implications for crypto?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/06/05/facebook-cryptocurrency-coming-in-june-report.html

This has huge potential, particularly if they produce the ATMs.

Makes sense,they can generate money through trading of the currency with everyday users and then wont have to rely heavily on advertisements

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Definitely very interesting, will open everyone elses eyes once facebook is involved in crypto, sadly but it will, as in people are sheep. But the cost of the nodes be the hokey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

rapul wrote: »
    Definitely very interesting, will open everyone elses eyes once facebook is involved in crypto, sadly but it will, as in people are sheep. But the cost of the nodes be the hokey!

Get in early so,people might get ripped off but if the recent criticism of apple and their stand is anything to go by people wont give a crap

Will it be a stablecoin?

Got some more BTC earlier. I'm aware we could get back down close to 5k but one has to dollar cast average.

• Advertisement

Will it be a stablecoin?

Got some more BTC earlier. I'm aware we could get back down close to 5k but one has to dollar cast average.

Everything we know so far points toward a stable-coin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

JJJJNR wrote: »

lol, Aug 2019? you'll get it whenever they decide to unplug it and sell it to you, if ever

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Boom 9% to the litecoin. Green everywhere. YACHTS YACHTS YACHTS

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    Boom 9% to the litecoin. Green everywhere. YACHTS YACHTS YACHTS

Was buying some coins and Looked at lite at €88 and left it off. Woke up in the morning to see it at 100+

Bull incoming.

Seems to be a weekly thing now, big loss on Monday morning before a big jump.

Could be good for topping up.

Pretty decent informational video on BTC, don't write it off because of the fiat value prediction in the title

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

• Advertisement

Blueshoe wrote: »

I seen that article and posted a link in the negative thread. It's hard to know if it's positive/negative.

What's your take on the article. The launch is on the 18th I think. Could get really interesting.

Max Keiser seems adamant that it will ruin Xrp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I seen that article and posted a link in the negative thread. It's hard to know if it's positive/negative.

What's your take on the article. The launch is on the 18th I think. Could get really interesting.

Max Keiser seems adamant that it will ruin Xrp

My key takeaway phrase is “the white paper for Facebook’s project has yet to be released”.

With that in mind, everything the article says is pure speculation.

The whitepaper will be published on the 18th. Bookface coin won't be launched until 2020.

Here's Andreas' opinion on it

Weekly BTC purchase made. It's like crack.

The whitepaper will be published on the 18th. Bookface coin won't be launched until 2020.
    Bob24 wrote: »
    My key takeaway phrase is “the white paper for Facebook’s project has yet to be released”.

With that in mind, everything the article says is pure speculation.

Didnt realise it was just the Whitepaper being Launched. It will definitely cause a commotion though on the 18th.
    Arrival wrote: »
    Here's Andreas' opinion on it

Excellent video, thanks for that. He seems a very principled guy in contrast to some in the space
    Weekly BTC purchase made. It's like crack.
    It is indeed or even Vegas:)

• Advertisement

Didnt realise it was just the Whitepaper being Launched. It will definitely cause a commotion though on the 18th

It really depends on what the white paper says.

I have no doubt that if Facebook is launching something they have plans for mass adoption and they of course have a huge capacity to promote it.

But IMO saying at this stage that it will kill Ripple (or any other prediction) without even knowing what Facebook’s product is and what use cases they plan for it is very premature.

LTC really taking off now. Anyone here hodling?

Swapped mine for BTC a while back..

LTC really taking off now. Anyone here hodling?
    I could never really see the utility in LTC other than it being a testing platform for BTC to some extent. That said, if this is the deal with the LTC halving, what happens with the BTC halving? :D

Grayscale reckon that many investors are not even aware of the halving yet.

I could never really see the utility in LTC other than it being a testing platform for BTC to some extent. That said, if this is the deal with the LTC halving, what happens with the BTC halving? :D

Grayscale reckon that many investors are not even aware of the halving yet.

Can’t be anything but bullish for BTC halving alright, let’s see where LTC is in a 2 months but can see it going to 200+ by halving at this rate !

• Advertisement

Tried to get it set up there but it thinks I’m not in Ireland’s for some reason !

Handy for anyone who "earns" in crypto and wants to take a speculative price risk on any purchases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Tried to get it set up there but it thinks I’m not in Ireland’s for some reason !

VPN?

tcawley29 wrote: »
    VPN?

No just on my phone on 4G.

I thought the Moon was in Ireland must be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

Dogecoin is still showing green.

Every transaction will be a taxable event if you use this card.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Pretty decent informational video on BTC, don't write it off because of the fiat value prediction in the title

Just watched this, it's brilliant.

el diablo wrote: »

That’s also the first thing which came to mind when I saw the link about the card.

As far as I understand, technically each time you use the card you are selling an asset (cryptocurrency) for cash which is then used to settle the card payment ... and thus are liable for CGT on that asset sale.

This neither seems like a very tax efficient nor a very convenient way to use crypto (you’d legally have to calculate gains or losses for all these transactions and submit a tax return, which seems like a pain).

Bob24 wrote: »
    el diablo wrote: »

That’s also the first thing which came to mind when I saw the link about the card.

As far as I understand, technically each time you use the card you are selling an asset (cryptocurrency) for cash which is then used to settle the card payment ... and thus are liable for CGT on that asset sale.

This neither seems like a very tax efficient nor a very convenient way to use crypto (you’d legally have to calculate gains or losses for all these transactions and submit a tax return, which seems like a pain).

But CGT only applies to any profit made over €1,270 no?

Great Video.

One thing that struck me is that a key factor in Bitcoin becoming so valuable is that there will only ever be 21 million coins in existence.

Why do Alt coins not have the the same supply of coins.

Some alt coins have a much greater supply of coins. Why would they do this as it severely limits the max value of their coin?

Some alt coins have a much greater supply of coins. Why would they do this as it severely limits the max value of their coin?

You're right to identify that scarcity is a key feature of bitcoin. As for the alts, well it depends on their purpose. If the purpose for example was for the IoT's rather than as digital money, then if IoT develops as it's expected, you'd probably need a shed tonne more.

But then it's also how you splice it and dice it. 1 BTC goes to 8 decimal points. If you said to yourself that the unit was a satoshi, then maybe there's a lot more to go around that originally thought.

But the most important thing....

You can have a cap of 10 tokens or 10 billion tokens. Neither is further on unless it builds up utility and there is some form of demand dynamic developing behind it. For that reason, most altcoins will vapourise ultimately.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement