Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb : 1gb/s FTTH : slow!

• 02-04-2019 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭kevincork

I just get the 1Gb/s connection from Digiweb, I receive a Fritzbox 7530, which seems to be quite bad for this kinds for connection.

Anyway I didn't use it and setup PPPoE with my Synology Router (digiweb@nga.digiweb.ie)

The issue is I'm getting only from 90Mb/s to 330Mb/s max ! we very far for the 1Gb/s (and they not charging me for the 300Mb/s option but for the 1Gb/s...

Tested with the Fritzbox but getting the same result

Someone have any suggestion on the PPPoE seatings ? although the speed result is similar so I guess is something to do with the line but just want to check first
    Screenshot : https://ibb.co/gJM9Wmk

Speedtest result :
    Download
    Upload
    PING (MS)

Setup : Synology RT1900ac (wifi off) and using Orbi RBK53 (AC3000) as AP.

Test from iPhone XS Max, MacBook Pro Retina 15inch (ac, with 900mb link), over ethernet and from a server using docker Speedtest @ 1gb/s ethernet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

kevincork wrote: »
    I just get the 1Gb/s connection from Digiweb, I receive a Fritzbox 7530, which seems to be quite bad for this kinds for connection.

Anyway I didn't use it and setup PPPoE with my Synology Router (digiweb@nga.digiweb.ie)

The issue is I'm getting only from 90Mb/s to 330Mb/s max ! we very far for the 1Gb/s (and they not charging me for the 300Mb/s option but for the 1Gb/s...

Tested with the Fritzbox but getting the same result

Someone have any suggestion on the PPPoE seatings ? although the speed result is similar so I guess is something to do with the line but just want to check first
    Screenshot : https://ibb.co/gJM9Wmk

Speedtest result :
    Download
    Upload
    PING (MS)

Setup : Synology RT1900ac (wifi off) and using Orbi RBK53 (AC3000) as AP.

Test from iPhone XS Max, MacBook Pro Retina 15inch (ac, with 900mb link), over ethernet and from a server using docker Speedtest @ 1gb/s ethernet

So have you logged a call with them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Have you disabled traffic control on the Syn? If its on you'll lose a chunk of performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭kevincork

ED E wrote: »
    Have you disabled traffic control on the Syn? If its on you'll lose a chunk of performance.

Thanks for the reply.

Traffic control is turn off on my router, but I don't think it's a settings issue because I have the same issue with both router.

Today I have the speed down to 30mb/s a few time, I'm guessing it's an issue with the line, not too sure about the max distance for fibre from the ISP / end-user.

I raised a support issue but they never comeback to me so I need to contact them anyway

Digiweb may intend for you to use IPoE, connect the Fritz and see what it defaults to.

Digiweb may intend for you to use IPoE, connect the Fritz and see what it defaults to.

Took a screenshot of the seeting, also recording PPPoE I tried both username :

digiweb@nga.digiweb.ie / digiweb@siro.digiweb.ie

https://i.ibb.co/1qDrsWC/Screenshot-2019-04-02-at-20-13-49.png

https://i.ibb.co/8KmDCcd/Screenshot-2019-04-02-at-20-14-57.png

also different topic but, is there no IPV6 support? when I turn this option internet turn off...

• Advertisement

So I spend hours with them, they only preoccupation was if I was lying about been connected straight to the modem with Ethernet and nothing else on the network.

Did load of speed test and they tell me to forward results by email and they will comeback in a few days when the email is received (like telling the speed over the phone is not good enough and they can’t pull my email from the queue while I’m on the phone with them.

Looking at my ONT, the fibre cable seems a bit weird but I have no experience with fibre / SFP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭ Mohammad Small Lark

So I spend hours with them, they only preoccupation was if I was lying about been connected straight to the modem with Ethernet and nothing else on the network.

Did load of speed test and they tell me to forward results by email and they will comeback in a few days when the email is received (like telling the speed over the phone is not good enough and they can’t pull my email from the queue while I’m on the phone with them.

Looking at my ONT, the fibre cable seems a bit weird but I have no experience with fibre / SFP.

That doesn't look great alright. It is meant to look like this

fdIEtcH_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

I think Digiweb support should be able to query your signal levels so they should be able to see if theres an issue.

That doesn't look great alright. It is meant to look like this

fdIEtcH_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

I think Digiweb support should be able to query your signal levels so they should be able to see if theres an issue.
    Thank's, yes that was I thought. I'm waiting for Digiweb to comeback to me it's been 24h now, so hopefully they give me a call today

So I contacted them back today as I didn't had any update, and they said issue was likely to be from my equipment.
    They tested the signal and it was ok.

- I tried with two different router
    - Isolated the network with only one device connected
    - tried with a MacBook Pro 2019 connected through ETH
    - tried with a windows PC
    - Tried with my iPhone XS Max over wifi but with a 886Mb/s link.

Always have the same speed result so it's clearly not my equipment.

I asked for a technician to come and do they own test, but I was told that I'm likely to be charge 120€ if the issue is coming from my side (which can't possibly be)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,979 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You haven't tested until you have plugged in their supplied Fritzbox and connected via cable into a device with a inbuilt 1 gig ethernet port. Not a usb-c adaptor like a MacBook or any wireless device.

• Advertisement

You haven't tested until you have plugged in their supplied Fritzbox and connected via cable into a device with a inbuilt 1 gig ethernet port. Not a usb-c adaptor like a MacBook or any wireless device.

I also tried with my DS918 (server) with link aggregation (2Gb/s) speed test result is consistent (around 300Mb/s)

Tried with a windows Desktop with a Gbit eth
    Tried with like 10 cat 7 cables , also tried with one cat 5e

I'm using Orbi as AP, so I also tried with this which have a integrated speed test (meaning it's straight from the router to the Orbi via ethernet)

All the result are consistent around 300mb/s in average.

Also I know wireless device are obviously a link limitation but I had a 886Mb/s link and the result remain around 300mb/s so that's couldn't possibly be from my equipment, not to mention that the Fritzbox or my Synology RT have the same result.

I mean I don't mind testing more but having one device only plug through gigabit ethernet one two different router and having the same result, it's have to be from they side

I also tried with my DS918 (server) with link aggregation (2Gb/s) speed test result is consistent (around 300Mb/s)

I'm using Orbi as AP, so I also tried with this which have a integrated speed test (meaning it's straight from the router to the Orbi via ethernet)

Also I know wireless device are obviously a link limitation but I had a 886Mb/s link and the result remain around 300mb/s so that's couldn't possibly be from my equipment, not to mention that the Fritzbox or my Synology RT have the same result.

I mean I don't mind testing more but having one device only plug through gigabit ethernet one two different router and having the same result, it's have to be from they side

What upload speed do you get on the tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭This is it

Connect to Fritzbox with a laptop capable of 1Gb speeds and test, they won't accept anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,979 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Your muddying the waters. Single desktop or laptop(not NAS), native 1gig adapter running at 1gig, using speedtest and fast.com. Too many variables with the others, especially wireless. Rated speed does not equal actual speed.

Would in most setups run at 1gig maximum, even if the other device was link aggregated as well.

What upload speed do you get on the tests?

I have a average of : 80.79 (198 for the download)

Cork
    multi
    Cork
    multi
    Dublin
    multi
    Dublin
    multi
    Cork
    multi
    Cork
    multi
    Cork
    multi
    Cork
    multi
    Cork
    multi
    26.06d
    Cork
    multi
    Cork
    multi
    Cork
    multi
    Cork
    multi
    Cork
    multi
    Cork
    multi
    Cork
    multi
    Cork
    multi
    Dublin
    multi

I thought you might be on the wrong profile but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Your muddying the waters. Single desktop or laptop(not NAS), native 1gig adapter running at 1gig, using speedtest and fast.com. Too many variables with the others, especially wireless. Rated speed does not equal actual speed.

Would in most setups run at 1gig maximum, even if the other device was link aggregated as well.

The link is reported to be 2000 Mbps and I at the time (but not recently) I run some local Iperf test and that was about right
    https://ibb.co/gtyrSm1

But anyway I tried with this motherboard too : https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20Z170%20Gaming-ITXac/ which is Gigabit LAN 10/100/1000 Mb/s, straight to they own modem and the result was the same

Connect the Z170 directly to the ONT with VID 10 and create a PPPoE session. Thats the KISS troubleshooting setup.

Connect the Z170 directly to the ONT with VID 10 and create a PPPoE session. Thats the KISS troubleshooting setup.

Ok I didn't try that all right, will give it a try

Ok so I tried straight from the ONT, I actually had to install some advanced intel driver otherwise no VLAN option.

The result is still disappointing: ping 2 (better) download 333.54 Mbps / upload 97.19 Mbps

• Advertisement

It wont tell us anything hard but I wonder where the BRAS you're calling at is. If you tracert out to anywhere does the reverse DNS on hop 1-3 give you any naming?

Sorry not sure I got that right :

https://ibb.co/r2KSrmz

3rd hope is a Digiweb owned IP
    My DNS is cloudflar (1.1.1.1)

Did a another trace-route from my router :
    https://ibb.co/pKbyndm

Maxmind thinks that you're emerging from the PPP tunnel at Thurles (2nd hop is Belfast) which isn't mad if you're in Cork (assuming the username is correct).
    The result is still disappointing: ping 2 (better) download 333.54 Mbps / upload 97.19 Mbps

This tells me its not PEBCAK and Digiweb support really should have given you some satisfaction by now. Time to get on the blower and dont take no for an answer.

Maxmind thinks that you're emerging from the PPP tunnel at Thurles (2nd hop is Belfast) which isn't mad if you're in Cork (assuming the username is correct).

This tells me its not PEBCAK and Digiweb support really should have given you some satisfaction by now. Time to get on the blower and dont take no for an answer.

Thanks, will check with them so

Actually just thinking, have no clue of this , but the fact that my address is in "derry" (west cork), and I often have parcels miss-routed to no Northern Ireland, can that be the same issue here? Is that setup regarding the address / profil ? (sorry in advance if I'm saying something totally stupid)

Actually just thinking, have no clue of this , but the fact that my address is in "derry" (west cork), and I often have parcels miss-routed to no Northern Ireland, can that be the same issue here? Is that setup regarding the address / profil ? (sorry in advance if I'm saying something totally stupid)

No, that won't be an issue.

..... So as I said before, they was suppose to sent me a technician (as I ask to have one) was told that I could be charge, I said ok! And then this morning I received a SMS "Your fault should now be resolved" at 08:00 ... Seriously .... Think I just gonna cancel my contract and go with a another ISP (been with them for less that 7 days)

Did you retest after the text? Ring and ask what was done to resolve the issue, and obviously if it's not resolved push back

..... So as I said before, they was suppose to sent me a technician (as I ask to have one) was told that I could be charge, I said ok! And then this morning I received a SMS "Your fault should now be resolved" at 08:00 ... Seriously .... Think I just gonna cancel my contract and go with a another ISP (been with them for less that 7 days)

That text was initiated by a KNN service tech.

Even if you change ISP, that KNN tech is still responsible for your connection. Enjoy.

• Advertisement

This is it wrote: »
    Did you retest after the text? Ring and ask what was done to resolve the issue, and obviously if it's not resolved push back

I'm waiting Monday cause tech support is close now (yes the result remain the same :( ) wait for them to tell me they add 100e on my invoice (when nobody come here at 08:00 am, CCTV checked...)

Advertisement