Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DailyEdge.ie is gone.

Options
  • 02-04-2019 9:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭

The Daily Edge was one of the worst websites I've ever been on. Just terrible stuff. It seemed to be staffed exclusively by perma-offended woke young wans with a very large man sized chip on their shoulder. Good riddance to it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Never been on it until now but looks like an online tabloid magazine to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭GBX

is_that_so wrote: »
    Never been on it until now but looks like an online tabloid magazine to me.

Thats all it was. No loss.

Not a moment too soon, mediocre style of journalism taking pride in sifting through the garbage that is celebrity culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Let's hope Joe.ie is next

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭smilerf

I hope Metro dies too.
    Its awful ****e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

It's a bit weird to see people celebrating something like this. Ultimately if it's gone that means people lost their jobs, and it's just a tabloid website, you don't have to go on and read it if you don't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Hopefully Journal will follow, gone downhill massively...

Cina wrote: »
    It's a bit weird to see people celebrating something like this. Ultimately if it's gone that means people lost their jobs, and it's just a tabloid website, you don't have to go on and read it if you don't want to.

I havent gone onto it in a long time. Im sure those employed there will be suitably looked after internally in the Journal or given redundancy payment if the case may be. They wont be just thrown on the scrap heap with nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

GBX wrote: »
    I havent gone onto it in a long time. Im sure those employed there will be suitably looked after internally in the Journal or given redundancy payment if the case may be. They wont be just thrown on the scrap heap with nothing.

Maybe they will but we don't know that. Either way it will probably lead to job losses. It's a bit odd to celebrate something like this, imo.

Maybe they will but we don't know that. Either way it will probably lead to job losses. It's a bit odd to celebrate something like this, imo.

Exactly! - we don't know anything including whether it will lead to job losses.
    Yes, its never good if somebody loses a job, so until that's confirmed I'll stand by what I said about being glad to seeing it gone. What's to say they don't come out as some other entity ?
    Also I am far from celebrating - but I am entitled to not liking something like the content/journalism style of the Daily Edge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Joe.ie seems to be dipping its toes in the woke-water lately.
    Get woke go broke, as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Nah, its no loss; besides they can just learn to code.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,601 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Never spent too much time on it but it was decent for getting the “what’s on tonight” TV list.

Can’t really understand the joyous celebrations. I mean, I don’t read the Daily Mail entertainment page like some of the girls here but I couldn’t give two hoots if it went offline. Very strange.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

OSI wrote: »
    Most of the DailyEdge guff was done by unpaid interns.

Is that the word? I wouldn't be surprised to be honest.

Let's be honest here, it was pretty ****e and some of the stuff on it was frankly embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭TheDavester

its run by the journal, so they would be writers who come off as being offended college students with no life experience other than twitter and social media, and trying to pass a couple of comments by randomers on twtter as news or the internet is outraged/in love etc with a show as "journalism"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭Maurice Yeltsin

Good. It'll motivate them to get a job with a real media outlet.

Can you imagine how much these new media sites pay their staff? It's no wonder Leo Sherlock has to effectively hire himself and his half a dozen split personalities, I doubt the clown is clearing minimum wage for himself never mind a staff.

Diceicle wrote: »
    Joe.ie seems to be dipping its toes in the woke-water lately.
    Get woke go broke, as they say.

despite the relentless articles on McGregor and the most irish type articles , they've been like that for a while, throwing in politics, gender bashing or preachy sanctimounius written articles from a pissy third wave feminist (if I remember a writer at the time, a while back tried to be noble bragging how he took the long way home so a woman who was a head of him wouldn't feel nervous or uncomfortable) or stuff like on the kardashians (should be on her.ie really)...only thing good was they had a weekly/daily song of the day type of articles which tbf introduced decent off the radar bands

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

#learntocode :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Never spent too much time on it but it was decent for getting the “what’s on tonight” TV list.

Can’t really understand the joyous celebrations. I mean, I don’t read the Daily Mail entertainment page like some of the girls here but I couldn’t give two hoots if it went offline. Very strange.

The site is muck, but I knew what to expect when I get on it and it never hid that. In the grand scheme of things it was relatively harmless tbh.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

smilerf wrote: »
    I hope Metro dies too.
    Its awful ****e

The newspaper that closed down about 5 years ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,319 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Indeed. I know that The Daily Edge was a celebrity gossip site so I must have been on it at some point to know that but it’s easily avoided.

“Celebrity” culture is completely boring to me but so too is the rush to be hip and slag it off or even celebrate the closing of a website which had no major impact on anyone’s life for good or bad and could easily be avoided.

Same goes for any business closing.

despite the relentless articles on McGregor and the most irish type articles , they've been like that for a while, throwing in politics, gender bashing or preachy sanctimounius written articles from a pissy third wave feminist (if I remember a writer at the time, a while back tried to be noble bragging how he took the long way home so a woman who was a head of him wouldn't feel nervous or uncomfortable) or stuff like on the kardashians (should be on her.ie really)...only thing good was they had a weekly/daily song of the day type of articles which tbf introduced decent off the radar bands

:D Good God that's hilarious and pathetic in equal measure!

:D Good God that's hilarious and pathetic in equal measure!

fairly positive it was Joe.ie, this was years back(wouldn't surprise me if it was the journal) and it just raised groans ….but looking at the fb page, is really a page which is supposed to be humour aimed at males, when it has nonsense about kardashains and Kanye west, lidl chocolates and also having about 10 articles today about Game of Thrones (McGregor has been replaced)

fairly positive it was Joe.ie, this was years back(wouldn't surprise me if it was the journal) and it just raised groans ….but looking at the fb page, is really a page which is supposed to be humour aimed at males, when it has nonsense about kardashains and Kanye west, lidl chocolates and also having about 10 articles today about Game of Thrones (McGregor has been replaced)

The hard hitting issues of the day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

My favourite thing about it was the comments from overly serious lads underneath articles about... oh, I dunno... crisps or something, moaning that there was more serious stuff happening in the world.

Harmless site. Don't know why anyone would be arsed celebrating its demise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭smilerf

L1011 wrote: »
    The newspaper that closed down about 5 years ago?
    nah the English site it's so bad

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

smilerf wrote: »
    nah the English site it's so bad

Only 'newspaper' (they do tens of different local print versions) with a constantly growing circulation, unlikely to go anywhere.

Dublin version died as they didn't have the scale to survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Quite clear what happens when vacuous, self-absorbed females mix their opinions with a business that needs the general public to care about them in order to survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Quite clear what happens when vacuous, self-absorbed females mix their opinions with a business that needs the general public to care about them in order to survive.

Females.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,728 ✭✭✭lertsnim

So man hating rabid feminist click baiting crap didn't make money? I'm not surprised to see that it was staffed by unpaid interns.

Advertisement