Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Homelander

The delays are really bad. There's cases overdue by almost a year in some cases. I think you're right though I could see it going to ABP.

It's easy to blame objectors for delays in loads of important projects (not for a second saying Wetherspoons is that) but we really need to be pointing the finger at our horrible planning system.

Speaking of.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I'm sorry to hear this. They were good to deal with over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Gary Brady, CEO, Thorntons Recycling said that Thorntons intends to retain The City Bin Co. brand post-acquisition.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Buddy74

Briarhill Butchers old shop been cleared out and A let by Mulryans Auctioneers sign on it!

Anyone know what's going in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,923 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Permanent TSB will move into Ulster Bank's premises in Eyre Square as well as their Athenry and Tuam branches. No news about their Liosbaun branch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

That’s exactly what I thought was going to happen regarding Eyre Square. I’m surprised that they’re keeping the branch in Tuam open - it’s interesting as they haven’t had a branch in Tuam up to now.

For Liosban, Permanent TSB used to have a branch where the Travelodge is, and still maintain a branch in Galway Shopping Centre. I can’t see them keeping both the Shopping Centre and Liosban open. At a guess I would say Liosban will close.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Some works seem to be happening on the Lantern bar on Ballybane road, to let sign also missing

• Registered Users Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ya the yellow cladding is being/has been removed. Hopefully it's a change of use, but I doubt it.

Cake My Day opening soon on Eglinton St, in the old pharmacy I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭spurshero

Any source or link to back that up? Surely there's need to be some form of change of use planning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,774 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

That's what retention is for :-)

There's no way the council would tell anyone to reinstate it as a pub!

I'd be delighted if it was gone, an eyesore and blight on the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

ISPCA shop premises on Middle Street got flooded and the shop closed down. Now the shop window has a To let sign in the window.

So did the shop just close down totally or has it moved premises? I think that premises had a few other ISPCA act6ivities going on . Thought there were animals sheltered there or something which has me wondering if this was a total closedown.

Shame, used to turn up some interesting things in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lauren22

BIGbins are opening all over Ireland. I used the one in Waterford on Manor Street but loads all over the country. €8 for general and €2 for recycling. www.bigbin.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

New Butchers shop opened last tuesday in Terryland, replacing the one that closed earlier this year. "Moores"

Not sure if they have an online or social media presence

They are on Facebook. Moore's Butchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭JnarF

Just heard that McCambridges has been sold to the Centra group, it's on the advertiser site. Sad to hear

yeah one of teh few places around town you could regularly get full sized spinach. Among other things.

So yeah, shame it's going. Was it still familly managed shop and subsequently lacking somebody from teh next generation interested in keeping it going full time or something.

Has been there for years anyway. Decades, like.

New sewing and haberdashery shop opening on Eye Street . Think it may have something to do with Stitches so may incorporate both material/sewing accessories and a repair shop. Not seen a date for opening but will be good if it is quality and decent prices. Town could definitely do with a good outlet especially now that Hickey's has closed.

Will be interesting if Eyre Street becomes a shopping street cos i don't think it's really been one. Not sure if it is ready for the amount of pedestrian traffic that would mean though.

Also been reminded by the Entanglement exhibition being in the Fairgreen gallery during GIAF that presumably that stretch of glass fronted shops was intended to be a shopping zone prior to the 2008 crash. & wondering how different things would have been if it had managed to sustain beyond that point.

Post edited by Stevolende on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,774 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Stitches isn't new: it's a repair shop thathas been there for years on the other side of the road and down a bit. They're moving into the old Yourells hairdressers place.

And adding a fabric and haberdashery element which the poster pointed out.

On haberdashery, Cregal Art have a range of ribbons, fabrics, material, sewing accessories etc too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Redo91

From reading the article it doesn’t sound like McCambridges will close

Probably is a shop that adds local colour to some extent in a way that another chain outlet wouldn't

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'd hate to see it just become another Supervalu/Centra or whatever.

It's a real institution.

It's not closing, I don't think anyone suggested it was. It has been bought out. They'll more than likely keep it the same for a while, introduce some of their own products e.g Donnybrook Fair stuff and other things from their catalogue while reducing some of the McCambridges own brand and other suppliers too. Closing it and making it a Centra or such down the line would be a horrendous decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Redo91

A few posters on here did to be fair but yes wouldn’t make sense to replace it with a Centra, etc. Hopefully they don’t tinker with it too much!

Reading it back it seems one poster was, as it seems they often are, a bit confused by the article. Or else they didn't read it.

Hadn't read the article didn't have a copy of the paper yet. Somebody said the shop was being sold and it has been there for years. you posted a link to the article a while after I commented and I don't have the ability to time travel. Does sound like this is an optimum outcome since presumably the shop being on the open market would not necessarily have lead to the staff being kept on . So yeah do hope it is going to be kept the same as it was, but presumably a lot of that is interpersonal and being under new management is going to be a large shift intentionally or not. Hate to find an attempt to keep the shop as much as is as possible being undermined by bad chemistry in new set up.

JUst hope they do keep selling the green stuff which is what I mainly buy from them these days. There are a few other places around town that sell that stuff but nothing as central. Ernies is worth the trek though. Spinach, Chard etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,923 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The café side will probably end up carrying the "Frank & Honest" brand. This is probably as close to buying the Grafton Street Bewleys as it's possible in Galway.

Advertisement