Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society - The European Club 20th April 11.00 AM 2019

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Happy to throw in a few extra euro as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭SEORG

Yeah, count me in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Macker1

I might be able to get a guest to come along. Its very short notice but at €50 for the European he might be very tempted. At least it covers the spot.

Let me know and I'll contact him.

Happy enough to pay and extra few quid too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭benny79

Macker1 wrote: »
    I might be able to get a guest to come along. Its very short notice but at €50 for the European he might be very tempted. At least it covers the spot.

Let me know and I'll contact him.

The fee is €50 for boards society members only Macker as its being subsidised a fair bit by the society not fair to give a guest that rate..

• Advertisement

benny79 wrote: »
    The fee is €50 for boards society members only Macker as its being subsidised a fair bit by the society not fair to give a guest that rate..

I completely understand ........

Bearing in mind that €50 coming in at this late stage is better than the society having to take the hit.

What is the rate for a visitor to this event ?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

I've no problem paying extra, sure 2 euro a head well covers it, but would it set a precedent for others to pull out and not G.A.F**k as they'll think it will be covered, I presume the pull out is not a regular and no hope of adding the fee to their next outing !!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    I've no problem paying extra, sure 2 euro a head well covers it, but would it set a precedent for others to pull out and not G.A.F**k as they'll think it will be covered, I presume the pull out is not a regular and no hope of adding the fee to their next outing !!

A very solid point, but what could be done to prevent this going forward? This event is clearly an exception to the regular operation, perhaps some thought on procedures for such prestigious/expensive course should be considered? I certainly would like the society to continue to play at least one course of this level on an annual basis, if possible.

For example, should the society require only paid members to be eligible to register for the event? Or require some form of pre-payment or guarantee?

Macker1 wrote: »
    I completely understand ........

Bearing in mind that €50 coming in at this late stage is better than the society having to take the hit.

What is the rate for a visitor to this event ?

I sent you a PM

Lads,

Unfortunately this is the nature of the beast. We are a internet golf society were new members are most welcome.. Hence why we give out warnings for lads to make sure they are 100% committed. Especially for the big courses as they cost more obviously..But the more members that go to events the cheaper we get them and the more money we have! with regulars we ask that they pay the Fee if the are a late drop out at last minute to an event at the next one and some still don't!!

Every penny that is given in from fees and membership is put back into the society in Prizes & getting the rates down on top courses. Its a hard juggle and as a internet society its harder than most hence why I asked for membership in full off people who are playing The European (most have by the way) We just can't have blow in's availing of the cheap rate and then never to be seen again as I'm sure you all understand. The person that dropped out won't be playing with us again this has being decided this year that's all we can really do.

Newindublin - Obviously we love to cut this out but it happens thankfully the first one this year and hopefully the last.. But you have no idea the time and organisation that goes into organising events so we try to keep things as simple as possible..

I really appreciate all you saying you don't mind paying a bit extra! It makes me love this society even more! Its better than most as we have folks who travel from all over this beautiful Island. All golf nuts just like ourselves with all different playing abilities we don't discriminate :). We even have a few different nationalities! I feel like the society is like a mini tour! well the nearest we will ever get.. bear in mind some lads are travelling 3+ hours to The European..

The fee is €50 and it stands.. The European is one of the best courses in this country, ranked in the top 100 in the world and by far the best course I have played and I have played some top ones but that's my opinion.. You par the 6th and you have beaten Tigers bogey ;) The Ruddy family who own and run it are some of the nicest people you will meet & I only ever played it once! The sun will be shining and we have it in April!

So lets move on and look forward to Saturday as I for one can't wait! It's one of the main reasons I took the Captaincy this to me is my Augusta :D

Regards

Benny

• Advertisement

Lads,

Unfortunately this is the nature of the beast. We are a internet golf society were new members are most welcome.. Hence why we give out warnings for lads to make sure they are 100% committed. Especially for the big courses as they cost more obviously..But the more members that go to events the cheaper we get them and the more money we have! with regulars we ask that they pay the Fee if the are a late drop out at last minute to an event at the next one and some still don't!!

Every penny that is given in from fees and membership is put back into the society in Prizes & getting the rates down on top courses. Its a hard juggle and as a internet society its harder than most hence why I asked for membership in full off people who are playing The European (most have by the way) We just can't have blow in's availing of the cheap rate and then never to be seen again as I'm sure you all understand. The person that dropped out won't be playing with us again this has being decided this year that's all we can really do.

Newindublin - Obviously we love to cut this out but it happens thankfully the first one this year and hopefully the last.. But you have no idea the time and organisation that goes into organising events so we try to keep things as simple as possible..

I really appreciate all you saying you don't mind paying a bit extra! It makes me love this society even more! Its better than most as we have folks who travel from all over this beautiful Island. All golf nuts just like ourselves with all different playing abilities we don't discriminate :). We even have a few different nationalities! I feel like the society is like a mini tour! well the nearest we will ever get.. bear in mind some lads are travelling 3+ hours to The European..

The fee is €50 and it stands.. The European is one of the best courses in this country, ranked in the top 100 in the world and by far the best course I have played and I have played some top ones but that's my opinion.. You par the 6th and you have beaten Tigers bogey ;) The Ruddy family who own and run it are some of the nicest people you will meet & I only ever played it once! The sun will be shining and we have it in April!

So lets move on and look forward to Saturday as I for one can't wait! It's one of the main reasons I took the Captaincy this to me is my Augusta :D

Regards

Benny

Well said Captain.........

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭a post punk

Here here Benny, well said as there’s a lot of work in the background to get these bigger courses at good rates and plan the whole years outings. Looking forward to it and the weather you’ve organised again for us this time ��:)

Well said Benny. Can't wait to lose all my golf balls, and yet still have a great time :P

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Rainbow Warrior

Well said Benny

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Yeah I can't wait for this one and with the weather God's apparently smiling on us this weekend it should be a great day

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

Enjoy guys! very jealous - hope to meet you all and join you on the next one!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I've already posted saying I can't make it and to enjoy it, the weather looks super.
    I played the European a few months after it was open so have no memory of if and would have loved another stab.

For all those who are going, you'll get battered but be able to tick the 'played it' box.

In my own society we are quite flexible on last minute pull outs but on courses where we rent the tee time and have to commit then the rule is simple, if you can't make it on the day then you pay the full costs as if you were there, it's a simple rule and no one has ever had an issue with it.

Enjoy it guys and gals

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

Ah I do appreciate so a huge amount of work goes into the setup. I was hoping to find a way to make it easier when it comes to the big events, not more work!

Looking forward to it, thanks again for all the hard work getting it set.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Are there food options after??

gypsy79 wrote: »

Of course! But don't ask me for the menu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,782 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

gypsy79 wrote: »

There is - but it is not like a normal golf club.

I'd ring if you are looking for a big dinner in the middle of the day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,782 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

well said Benny

But don't go too soft on us yet :p:D

I did inform them that most be looking for food after :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

I did inform them that most be looking for food after :D

You won't get food if you are wearing denim. Only place I've seen the rule enforced.Just in case you are planning on eating in clubhouse.

Food is good there by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 27,820 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Of course! But don't ask me for the menu

The European don't have food (or didn't). Go down to Jack's Tavern for food. It's about 5/10 minute drive away and food is great.

Edit: when did a restaurant open in it? I always thought they had no food :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

You won't get food if you are wearing denim. Only place I've seen the rule enforced.Just in case you are planning on eating in clubhouse.

Food is good there by the way

You'll have to leave your shorts at home then benny :D

89a862269ecea246e9f6d2199e92d81b.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

TitianGerm wrote: »
    The European don't have food (or didn't). Go down to Jack's Tavern for food. It's about 5/10 minute drive away and food is great.

Edit: when did a restaurant open in it? I always thought they had no food :confused:

They have had food any time I was there over the last 2 or 3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

You'll have to leave your shorts at home then benny :D

Needed a wash after scotland anyway :pac:
    benny-pants.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Can't wait for european club. Feels like I'm going completely blind here. I always have a gander at course notes or flyovers or something. Looks like they just want to keep the whole place as a surprise.

• Advertisement

Yeah, i had a look for some info on the site and youtube, but there's not a lot. Did find a site that described a few holes, and they sound pretty great.

Really looking forward to it now, regardless of how i play :)

Advertisement