Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden room

Options
  • 31-03-2019 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Can anyone recommend - looked at Shomera and garden room and can't justify spending that. loghouse.ie and gardenshedsforless can anyone recommend or have any experience. Loghouse seem to have excellent testamonials.
    Thanks
    Michelle

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

recommendations/ comments on specific companies by PM thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mcsexy mama

No problem any recommendations by Pm greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Same, could anyone recommend by PM please

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭raxy

I'm also thinking of getting a garden Room to use as an office. Finding it a bit confusing with all the various options & insulation types.

Id be grateful if people could post what they got & if they think it would be suitable to work from. I don't want to spend over the top but at the same time I want to be sure I'll be happy with it in the end.

According to the forum charter company names & prices are allowed to be posted so recommendations should not have to be by pm only as it is of use to other readers.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

At the end of the day basically anything is suitable to use as an office once it's watertight. It's a question of comfort. If you have an uninsulated box, you're going to feel very cold once the outside temp drops below 10. And below that you'll start to find there is no amount of heating that can keep it warm.

If you're going to be sitting out there all day in all weathers, then you need all walls, floors (if not concrete) and roof insulated. Comfort is not just a matter of warmth though if you think about it. You don't want to be sitting out there in a dark, grey room. If you get plasterboard on the internal walls, you'll need to paint it. T&G panelling doesn't need to be painted, but it is expensive. If you have a rough concrete base, you'll want to put in a subfloor at least and then carpet or laminate. You'll want relatively generous windows and/or glass doors. Your bog standard shed usually comes with a normal door and a small window or two.

I had a company build a bespoke room, which is basically a decent quality wooden shed with a steel roof and internal insulation. Three of the four walls face into brick garden walls, so rather than have windows, I had them stick in a composite double-door with full-length glass. The office area is approx. 3m x 3m and I've been working from it for a year now. If I would change anything, I would probably have stuck a velux in the roof to get a bit more light in and be able to circulate the air a bit more, but outside of that I'm happy as a pig in sh1te.

Won't post the company because I wouldn't really recommend them. The build quality is fine, but everything else about the delivery was a disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭raxy

Thanks Seamus, just out of interest what type/thickness is the insulation in yours?

If we go for 1 it would have walls on 2 sides but wider that yours. Was only thinking of door & windows to the front but maybe a side window might be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Mine has 75mm of fibreglass insulation. The actual building itself is 4.5m wide, but there's a partition and a 1.5m uninsulated storage shed.

Any kind of side window is a good idea, even just a small one for ventilation. This place can get a bit stuffy with the heat on, so I've to crack the door sometimes no matter the weather. I might cut a vent into the opposite wall, where if I'd had them put in even a tiny square window, I wouldn't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Don Fanucci

Looking at the same suppliers as above. Huge variance in prices that does not justify the difference in build/insulation (IMHO).

Any PM appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisement