Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difficulty with maths

Options
  • 29-03-2019 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Please help, im feeling very stupid.
    Im a teacher, im trained to teach second level in English and History but after months of applying to teaching jobs in my subjects, the rare time one was advertised, I either didnt get the job or only got a few hours here and there covering sick leaves and training days but nothing substantial.
    A maternity position came up in a special needs school teaching teenagers, I got an interview and was delighted to be awarded the position. My understanding of the role was that I would be taking on subjects in low level English and History and would be required to teach other subjects too like Computers, Communications, Cookery skills etc which I was more than happy to take on.
    Since ive started the job I have been repeatedly required to teach maths classes covering for teachers who usually teach the subject.
    The maths levels are low but so are my own maths abilities.
    I hated this subject in school, so much infact that I did foundation level maths at leaving cert and chose a university course partly on the basis that it contained no maths, ive always been terrible at it, I would not be surprised if I have mild dyscalculia and I have always had maths anxiety.
    I have been required to teach fractions and junior cert algebra but often spend class time helping the lowest level students who are learning simple addition while the sna takes over the rest of the group. It's embarrassing and I look and feel incredibly incompetent. I have spent my entire adult life avoiding maths and here I am having to teach this subject.

I have become quite good at hiding my inability from other staff through 'keeping busy' helping the much weaker students but this week I have been left alone to take a Maths class with no SNA. I am not planning these classes myself, I am often handed a lesson plan before class that has been made out by management or the teacher im covering for so I have no time to prepare.
    Next week I am scheduled to take an entire Monday and Tuesday of Junior cert level Maths, the SNA will be in the class with me but has filing and reports to do so has her day scheduled around that. My incompetence will be glaringly obvious. I have asked to be given any lesson plans/worksheets and assessments that are required to be completed but was told theyre not currently available.
    What can I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Tell your boss you can’t do maths.

You aren’t being fair to yourself trying to wing it and you definitely aren’t being fair to these kids who are relying on your teaching to pass their exams.

Or, School of Rock it, win a battle of the bands and everyone will think you are adorable.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

I have become quite good at hiding my inability from other staff through 'keeping busy' helping the much weaker students but this week I have been left alone to take a Maths class with no SNA.

You're doing the students a disservice by hiding your weakness in maths, and hoping that the majority of students take care of themselves/learn from someone else, especially considering that some of these students are preparing for major exams.

You need to own up to your boss - tell them that maths isn't your strong point. All you can do after that is see how the school reacts and deals with it. If they expect you to continue teaching maths, you may either need to up skill, or find a more suitable position.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I think if you were given the impression you'd be teaching English, history etc you shouldn't feel in the least bit odd about being honest about your predicament. I know people with Phds who can't multiply 2 single digit numbers. It shouldn't be assumed you can teach maths just because u teach history, English etc.

• Administrators Posts: 13,775 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Maths isn't your subject. There are other teachers there who aren't called on to teach the maths classes, because maths isn't their subject!

You need to explain to the managers that you are not in a position to teach maths and while you can supervise a class if needed, you can't cover the work. It's a bit disrespectful of the management to assume that just because these kids have special needs that they don't need a real maths teacher. If anything they need an experienced maths teacher who knows exactly how to help them.

I wouldn't be too happy if I knew my child was regularly being thought maths by the history teacher. And I would be even more annoyed if I heard the SNA was teaching! It's lazy management.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,274 ✭✭✭✭ted1

FFS, speak up now and stop teaching the class. These kids need some one especially good. Maths is very easy when thought right.

These kids are being out at a huge disadvantage because if your inability

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's not cool tbh that the school are asking you to teach maths at a Junior Cert level when it's so far out of your area of expertise. A science or a computing teacher would likely be able to stand in competently because they still see this level of maths all the time. If it was sixth class or first year, then it might be reasonable. But you're an English and History teacher who could realistically get through life without thinking about algebra again.

Aside from coming forward about it, however you need to tackle this or it's going to be hanging over you for the rest of your life, making excuses for why you can't be more flexible, or finding yourself struggling to do real-life tasks which are algebra-based (such as dividing up a bill).

If you believe you do have some level of dyscalculia, you should go find out. See an expert, find out ways to deal with it, and then see if you can find a way to upskill yourself to some degree. You're not doubt embarrassed at your low level of maths skills and unwilling to reveal this, but you should be more embarrassed about the fact that you're not doing anything about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

As mentioned already you will have to try to talk to the Principal or Depty if its a long term maths class that you are expected to do cover. You can also ask for help from one of the maths teachers.

https://www.khanacademy.org - this might help short term for some maths revision - great to use with students also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

You're going to have to come clean here before you sink any deeper into the mire. I feel your pain regarding maths because it was my worst subject by a country mile when I was in school and I too have taken a path in life that doesn't involve much interaction with them. In hindsight, you should have spoken up earlier but what's done is done. This is a management issue for the school and perhaps there is another teacher on the staff who can be switched with you. I know that you're not going to want to 'fess up but what's the alternative? If you're caught out, you'll have a lot more explaining to do.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I'm an engineer and I wouldn't have a clue about how to go about teaching maths if I am honest.Anyway, it's the equivalent of hiring me as a teacher and getting me to teach Art.Just own up OP.It does not reflect badly on you, it's not your subject and you are not doing the pupils any good.Not your fault at all, very few of us are good at everything and you have your other strong points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

I’m not a teacher but my wife is and similar to you she has ended up teaching maths the odd time. I have helped her getting a few lessons together for her but often what I guide her to are YouTube tutorials for the topic she is working in. Some great material out there. So what I would recommend is:

1. Just keep 1 or 2 lessons ahead. Don’t worry about the full course for now
    2. Find material online (e.g. YouTube) to help you understand the topic and also get some tips on teaching it
    3. As you’re teaching at a low level, I wouldn’t worry too much about ensuring everyone having an 100% understanding of everything. Do quiz type Qs etc and keep them interested in maths and applicable where possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

I think you need to tell them you don't teach maths. Its not the job you signed up for I take it. It sounds as though the school are taking advantage of you and it must be very stressful for you going into work every day.
    As a parent I wouldn't be happy if I found out someone who wasn't qualified in a subject was teaching my child.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Bizarre, sounds like a pretty poor school to be honest.

This isn't fair on you or the kids that you are trying to teach.

Best to tell management that you simply don't have the skills to teach the subject, it's not your fault, you've been basically thrown into this position and it wasn't in the job description.

Fair play to you for doing it for this long. I couldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

This might be a dumba55 answer but have you thought about upskilling when it comes to maths?

Most people have to upskill at some point in their career.

If someone has a genuine problem with maths and possibly has dyscalculia, upskilling is easier said than done.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

If someone has a genuine problem with maths and possibly has dyscalculia, upskilling is easier said than done.

Agreed, it can be difficult if someone has dyscalculia but it isn't impossible.

I don't think you need to upskill to maths, OP. Not everyone is cut out to be a maths teacher, especially at secondary level. And a bad maths teacher is probably worse than no maths teacher at all. You have English as a core subject and history which should be plenty. I don't think an English teacher should ever be expected to teach the maths syllabus. Supervise a class for a colleague maybe, but not actually take on the role of teaching that class. Whenever a teacher was absent from a class when I was in school we were supervised by another teacher, but they never continued on the class for the absent teacher.

Are you sure you are being expected to teach, and not just supervise?

You have to speak up. You're not a maths teacher. You shouldn't need to upskill to become a maths teacher, unless it is something you specifically wanted to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

You really need to tell the Principal or DP that you're not comfortable teaching maths.
    Its unfair to everyone when you're put in such an uncomfortable position.
    I am a maths teacher so feel free to message me if I can be of help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Teaching maths wasnt in your job discription so you should tell your boss that you never liked maths and cant teach it. I would it sooner rather than later before someone complains

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

You can put some pop quizzes together for students to work through and correct each others work or you can take it home to correct. Should buy some time in the short term.

However you have two choices. Make it known you cannot cover maths or go back and learn it.

I hated maths in school also, I took grinds for ordinary level leaving cert. Class seemed to move to quickly and i got frustrated if I didn't get it first time and switched off and disliked my teachers. I had a fear I couldn't do maths and also picked college courses to avoid anything that might have maths.

Fast forward 15 years from college. I decided to go back to study again and I am just about qualified as an Accountant. I could never have dreamed working with numbers when I was in school. I am still not a maths genius but can work comfortably with numbers. Turned out I wasn't thick, I just didn't apply myself. With more maturity and putting in work the maths I needed all came to me. As I progressed through the exams maths became less and less daunting and more of a puzzle that you apply rules to solve.

My recommendation would be to go back and give Maths a go. Perhaps do some grinds yourself , which will help relieve your fears and give you confidence for future roles. Or if you decide not to, you need to be honest with your employers and do what is best for the students.

The question is, should somebody not trained to be a maths teacher be teaching them? I wouldn't have thought so, especially as our OP did foundation level maths for leaving cert.

• Advertisement

There was uproar a few years back with very many people and departments highly offended that there were "unqualified" maths teachers teaching maths in schools around the country. (These were teachers who had science subjects, who would have done maths as part of their degree but not specifically maths teachers)

And here is an English and history teacher who did foundation level maths in secondary school being tasked with the job of teaching the subject. I can't help thinking that the centre management aren't taking the issue too seriously as these are "only" special needs kids. I can guarantee you if this was a mainstream school they would not call on you to teach the junior cert maths class. And as for having the SNA take a class?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Oh my god op you poor thing. This sounds horrendous. I am a maths teacher and my first year there were some odd arrangements (teach a higher level lc class once a week but only get the topic that day) and I found it tough going. I cannot imagine the stress of it.

They have no right to expect you to do this. You need to tell them you can't. Maths is your weakest subject. If somebody asked me to take a class to do some singing I would be distraught with nerves. I actually would not be able to physically attempt something I am so bad at, I would feel totally exposed.

One more thing to note - people often think being mathematically minded means being clever. Therefore when maths is a weakness they feel stupid and ashamed. This is simply not true. Stop hiding the fact you struggle. Many maths teachers I know can't spell! There is nothing wrong with finding the subject difficult. It comes easily to me but ask me to sing happy birthday in any kind of recognizable melody and you will know all about struggles.

If there is a maths teacher you like you could ask them to take you through some basics like fractions, decimals, percentages. I bet you enjoy it. I love doing some extra curricular work with adults. Loads of them struggle! Somebody mentioned khanacademy.org already, its great. Google bbc bitesize too and mathsisfun.

Also we are not supposed to request PMs in this forum but can send more resources if you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

The question is, should somebody not trained to be a maths teacher be teaching them? I wouldn't have thought so, especially as our OP did foundation level maths for leaving cert.

As Big Bag of Chips indicates, the lack of qualified maths teachers is a pervasive issue in Irish schools ("48% of maths teachers at second level unqualified"--Irish Times). But I've never heard of a school assigning maths classes to someone who has possible dyscalculia and who did only foundation maths for the Leaving.

OP, the only way out of this is to meet with the principal and explain to him or her that you simply can't teach maths. Khan Academy, etc., are great resources, but you can't master maths overnight, especially given your lifelong issues with it. You are in no position to attempt to be a maths teacher, and you have a responsibility to the students to have them taught by someone who is capable and qualified.

I didn't realise there was a figure that high! :eek: That is absolutely shocking!

As myself and other people have recommended already, the best way to deal with this is to come clean before you're found out. No amount of YouTube videos or Maths for Dummies can help you if you're naturally poor at maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

Please help, im feeling very stupid.
    Im a teacher, im trained to teach second level in English and History but after months of applying to teaching jobs in my subjects, the rare time one was advertised, I either didnt get the job or only got a few hours here and there covering sick leaves and training days but nothing substantial.
    A maternity position came up in a special needs school teaching teenagers, I got an interview and was delighted to be awarded the position. My understanding of the role was that I would be taking on subjects in low level English and History and would be required to teach other subjects too like Computers, Communications, Cookery skills etc which I was more than happy to take on.
    Since ive started the job I have been repeatedly required to teach maths classes covering for teachers who usually teach the subject.
    The maths levels are low but so are my own maths abilities.
    I hated this subject in school, so much infact that I did foundation level maths at leaving cert and chose a university course partly on the basis that it contained no maths, ive always been terrible at it, I would not be surprised if I have mild dyscalculia and I have always had maths anxiety.
    I have been required to teach fractions and junior cert algebra but often spend class time helping the lowest level students who are learning simple addition while the sna takes over the rest of the group. It's embarrassing and I look and feel incredibly incompetent. I have spent my entire adult life avoiding maths and here I am having to teach this subject.

I have become quite good at hiding my inability from other staff through 'keeping busy' helping the much weaker students but this week I have been left alone to take a Maths class with no SNA. I am not planning these classes myself, I am often handed a lesson plan before class that has been made out by management or the teacher im covering for so I have no time to prepare.
    Next week I am scheduled to take an entire Monday and Tuesday of Junior cert level Maths, the SNA will be in the class with me but has filing and reports to do so has her day scheduled around that. My incompetence will be glaringly obvious. I have asked to be given any lesson plans/worksheets and assessments that are required to be completed but was told theyre not currently available.
    What can I do?

You should consider getting yourself a maths grinds tutor. The first tutors website is great to use since I used it for a maths module in the business course I'm in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

It’s a sad reflection on the state of Irish schools that a history teacher without any maths background is being asked to take a maths class.

In any other business this wouldn’t be tolerated by employees as you’re being asked to do something that’s way outside your job description and qualifications.

There’s nothing wrong with your skill set. It’s just like asking an electrician to fit a bath or a chemical engineer to design a house.

Is there no HR in schools?!

Maybe talk to your trade union?

Advertisement