Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is/was Ireland's most famous sports star?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

The answer is, in this order:

McGregor
    George Best
    Roy Keane
    McIlroy

There isn't a fith. It was probably a dead heat between Best and Keane for a time but McGregor is light years ahead now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

weemcd wrote: »

McGregor
    George Best
    Roy Keane
    McIlroy

There isn't a fith. It was probably a dead heat between Best and Keane for a time but McGregor is light years ahead now.

You think more people know Roy Keane and George Best than McIlroy. Can't see how.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

salmocab wrote: »
    The hushing is nonsense but people can enjoy something without knowing all the rules, I played for nearly 30 years and still struggle with some of them. Rugby’s popularity is linked to going professional and increasing its accessibility to people. Obviously being successful helps but the product is appealing to people. It’s the same with all sports once they are in people’s view lots will watch. Tennis for two weeks lots of people watch and enjoy it then barely take an interest until Wimbledon rolls around again. Soccer during a WC especially one with Ireland in it people are crazy for it then when it’s over plenty go back to just looking out for a teams results at best.

Rugby has no rules, it has laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭megadodge

rob316 wrote: »
    McGregor and it's not even close, regardless what you think of him or mma.

Worldwide he's top 3 with Ronaldo and Messi I reckon. The Americans absolutely worship him.

Ah here, get a grip. Ever hear of Federer, Nadal, Bolt, Tiger Woods, Floyd Mayweather, Le Bron James, etc. etc.

The problem people have on here is this - America is NOT the world!! (Even though Americans think it is).

McGregor is massive in the States. Also obviously in Ireland. Quite big in the UK and maybe well known in Brazil because it's an MMA powerbase. That still leaves an awful lot of human beings all over planet Earth who never heard of the fella. I'm serious. Ask the average African or Asian who he is and it's seriously doubtful they ever heard of him. And that's an awful lot of the world's population.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't be surprised if McIlroy is more famous WORLDWIDE.

Edit. Here's a link that shows McGregor in 25th place WORLDWIDE and McIlroy in 14th.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/worldfame100/espn-world-fame-100-top-ranking-athletes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

McGregor
    George Best
    Roy Keane
    McIlroy

Best was the only one worth supporting. I wouldn't urinate from a height on the others, even if they were on fire.

• Advertisement

Setanta/Cú Chulainn is by far the most famous sports star in Irish history. His feats have been recounted to every generation of Irish people since at least the 8th century. Come back to me about any of the buckos in this thread in 1200 years and see if people are still talking about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

megadodge wrote: »
    Edit. Here's a link that shows McGregor in 25th place WORLDWIDE and McIlroy in 14th.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/worldfame100/espn-world-fame-100-top-ranking-athletes

I like how you chose an old, out-of-date ranking to support the point!

The latest, 2019 version of that exact same list has McGregor at 5th.

McIllroy at 25th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Setanta/Cú Chulainn is by far the most famous sports star in Irish history. His feats have been recounted to every generation of Irish people since at least the 8th century. Come back to me about any of the buckos in this thread in 1200 years and see if people are still talking about them.
    Fictional characters don't count. Do you also consider Roy of the Rovers to be England's most famous sports star? Or World Cup winner Hotshot Hamish for Scotland? :D:D:D

Hey does anyone remember when American football star Flash Gordon saved the planet from the cruel Ming the Merciless??? :D:D:D :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Fictional characters don't count. Do you also consider Roy of the Rovers to be England's most famous sports star? Or World Cup winner Hotshot Hamish for Scotland? :D:D:D

I’m surprised you don’t think it’s johnny joe o Shea your local GAA star. He scored ten against ballychairbottom that time in the club championship in 1982. Lest we forget.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 144 ✭✭Marcus Rashford

Is that why Sheamus and Conor McGregor are so hotly debated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Best wasn't Irish anyway but Ruby Walsh surely would be up there!

I’m surprised you don’t think it’s johnny joe o Shea your local GAA star. He scored ten against ballychairbottom that time in the club championship in 1982. Lest we forget.
    Sorry what are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Rugby is popular because it’s clean-cut and we’re good at it.

Good at it in a tiny global pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Bit of a bizarre rant there, dude. You ok? Maybe you should go back to bed for a few hours.

Sorry what are you talking about?

Can’t believe you forgot. Shame.

Bit of a bizarre rant there, dude. You ok? Maybe you should go back to bed for a few hours.

Not really a rant was it, Flash. Just wondering why Woke has forgotten the great GAA stars of his townland.

It has been a bad day though. I was in a cubicle taking a crap and this lad comes in to the other cubicle and also takes a crap. Hard to recover from that.

Can’t believe you forgot. Shame.
    Ha ha okay, big boy. Whatever you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

McGregor
    George Best
    Roy Keane
    McIlroy

George Best didn't identify as Irish ( not meant as a criticism of the great man)

McIlroy likes to hedge his bets, being the corporate robot that he is

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 144 ✭✭Marcus Rashford

Mad_maxx wrote: »

McGregor
    George Best
    Roy Keane
    McIlroy

George Best didn't identify as Irish ( not meant as a criticism of the great man)

I think it’s more the case that people who’ve grown up post Peace Process prefer not to dwell on the moronic sectarian stuff and see themselves as Northern Irish rather than Irish or British.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

McIlroy just doesn’t care - big difference. He’s worth hundreds of millions of dollars, and doesn’t give a rats arse about what some barstool Republican thinks of him. Or knuckle dragging Loyalist either.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,126 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Tonight it's Becky Lynch. Doing the Parish proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

McIlroy just doesn’t care - big difference. He’s worth hundreds of millions of dollars, and doesn’t give a rats arse about what some barstool Republican thinks of him. Or knuckle dragging Loyalist either.

I think he believes not hitching his cart to either flag is more commercially friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Anthony Daly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Tiger Roll, he’ll achieve more than any Irish sports person will

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

J. Marston wrote: »
    Tonight it's Becky Lynch. Doing the Parish proud.

If only it wasn’t entertainment & a real sport

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭megadodge

I like how you chose an old, out-of-date ranking to support the point!

The latest, 2019 version of that exact same list has McGregor at 5th.

McIllroy at 25th.

It was the very first one on the Google search I did. I didn't check any others as it seemed pretty legit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

McIllroy said 'I've always felt more British than Irish'. That is his right, he has the right to identify himself as he wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,605 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

janfebmar wrote: »
    McIllroy said 'I've always felt more British than Irish'. That is his right, he has the right to identify himself as he wishes.

He should play under the flag of the Golfing Union of Ireland. Just like our rugby team does with the IRFU flag.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

He should play under the flag of the Golfing Union of Ireland. Just like our rugby team does with the IRFU flag.

Our rugby team represents the island of Ireland. Most of the players grew up in the Republic of Ireland, were educated by the Irish taxpayer, pay their taxes in the Republic etc.

McIllroy can choose his own identity, people from N. Ireland have that choice.

Advertisement