Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Monster Energy okay occasionally?

Options
  • 25-03-2019 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

I rarely drink sugary drinks. I usually drink just water and coffee. (Which would never contain sugar)! Now if I’m completely honest, I don’t care that much about whether or not the drink will make me crash or just be a quick boost of energy. I’m to the point that coffee doesn’t even give me energy. I just want to be able to get that taste again. I have gone cold turkey with almost anything bad, and this drink is the nicest 0 calorie energy drink. Now where I’m really concerned is how it will affect your Oral health. From years of drinking “fizzy drinks” as a kid, my enamel has worn down. Drinking coffee definitely doesn’t help with that either. And in my eyes, your teeth aren’t worth messing up for a can of fancy named sugars. Since my diet would rarely allow for processed sugar, do you think an occasional can a week would really do any damage ? This is a question I should ask my dentist, but truth be told. I’m scared of the woman. I’m afraid she will absolutely bite the head off of me if I mention “energy drinks”. Let me know what you think!

**Edit: I should mention that I’m speaking about the white ultra monster!!

Thanks,
    Dylan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Wouldn't be too sure myself but if you use a straw it would completely miss your teeth if you're looking for an easy solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Pretty much anything is ok Occasionally.

Noone is going to get fat from an occasional fizzy drink or a chocolate cake.

Its the people who drink and eat this stuff morning, noon and night that have problems.

Now thats from the physical perspective, however because you said you have gone cold turkey from this stuff leads me to believe that you could easily taste the drink and fall off the wagon.

If you have had historical problems with bad food then just stay away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Dylan12345

Pretty much anything is ok Occasionally.

Noone is going to get fat from an occasional fizzy drink or a chocolate cake.

Its the people who drink and eat this stuff morning, noon and night that have problems.

Now thats from the physical perspective, however because you said you have gone cold turkey from this stuff leads me to believe that you could easily taste the drink and fall off the wagon.

If you have had historical problems with bad food then just stay away from it.

Very good response! I ended up taking a couple of sips, and then threw it out. I will opt for some coffee next time haha! Thanks for the response!!

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Wouldn't be too sure myself but if you use a straw it would completely miss your teeth if you're looking for an easy solution.

From what I was told, it’s actually not any better. That’s supposedly a myth. I could only imagine that too!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Ronanc1

You answered your own question it's zero calorie therefore you could theoretically have as many cans a week as you like, you wont crash or get a quick boost of energy (Well maybe the caffeine might) nor will it have any effect on your teeth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Ronanc1 wrote: »
    You answered your own question it's zero calorie therefore you could theoretically have as many cans a week as you like, you wont crash or get a quick boost of energy (Well maybe the caffeine might) nor will it have any effect on your teeth.

Zero calories doesn't mean it won't have any affect on his teeth. Monster is fairly acidic.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Ronanc1

Zero calories doesn't mean it won't have any affect on his teeth. Monster is fairly acidic.

True, carbonic acid in fizzy drinks and all that but I was going from more of a sugar->bacteria angle

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

"Everything in moderation"

Except the majority of people don't know what moderation is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

There’s no bad food. Only bad diet.

Ronanc1 wrote: »
    True, carbonic acid in fizzy drinks and all that but I was going from more of a sugar->bacteria angle

Like I mentioned. From drinking fizzy drinks a lot as a kid, I deal with enamel worn away, so I’m trying to avoid things that will make it worse significantly. I take it that I should just avoid this drink altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 desirejadeh

Once every two weeks I’d say. But daily as a boost is a terrible idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 esme95

If you are tired to the point that coffee does not give you energy then you need to investigate the cause. You should get a full blood profile and see if you are deficient in anything.

To answer your question, it depends on your definition of "occasionally". If it is once a week, of course it is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭highdef

The 0 calorie varieties have no sugars in them therefore you won't get any sugar induced damage. Would be the same as having say a coke zero or pepsi Max.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Maybe in a endurance race. Say anything over 4hours. Re energy boost.

If you drink or eat surgary thing over short period then wash teeth after then effect on teeth minimised.

Like give kid jelly nt a lollipop better, less time sitting in sugar.

kal7 wrote: »
    Maybe in a endurance race. Say anything over 4hours. Re energy boost.

If you drink or eat surgary thing over short period then wash teeth after then effect on teeth minimised.

Like give kid jelly nt a lollipop better, less time sitting in sugar.

But the OP is asking about the sugar free variety of Monster so talking about sugary drinks is not the subject in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

So is white ultra monster is a sugar free drink?

How can it be a zero calorie energy drink??

kal7 wrote: »
    So is white ultra monster is a sugar free drink?

How can it be a zero calorie energy drink??

The "energy" comes from the caffeine and taurine.
    9 calories in a 500ml can versus about 200 calories per can in the sugared versions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

A one off ain't going to do much to your longterm health.

I pretty much only drink water. Had an energy drink at the weekend, my god my heart was racing and my body felt ****.

A one off ain't going to do much to your longterm health.

I pretty much only drink water. Had an energy drink at the weekend, my god my heart was racing and my body felt ****.

My body is my main concern. It's easy to say no to these things, but we really want to. I only really drink water myself. But sometimes I need a little enjoyment and for that short period, the monster works. But ultimately, it makes you feel ****tier after. Thats the way of life lol.

Advertisement