Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday Allowance for part time workers

Options
  • 21-03-2019 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

I am a carer for my husband who is a dialysis patient and I also work part time in a small legal firm. I am only meant to work for 15 hours a week and my boss does push the limits for time, sometimes I don't get a lunch break.

However, can I ask if anyone would know what the holiday allowance for annual leave is for a part time worker such as myself is for 15 hours a week. I know for a full time worker its something like 20 or 21 days but am unsure about part timers.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭TrixIrl

If the normal full-time position in your office is 39 hours a week then you would be entitled to 15/39 of the statutory holidays so approx 7.5 days a year.

If the normal full-time working week or normal allocation of holiday hours to your comparators is more/less then you'd have to adjust same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

TrixIrl wrote: »
    If the normal full-time working week or normal allocation of holiday hours to your comparators is more/less then you'd have to adjust same.

:confused:

Op, have a look here.
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/annual_leave_public_holidays.html

8% of the hours you work.
    Basically, you're entitled to 4 weeks off. If you take full weeks it shouldn't be too confusing. So you'll get 8 days annual leave during the year. Your contract may give you a larger entitlement. Best asking your employer to clarify how much annual leave you can take.

Take your lunch break. Lunch breaks are unpaid so if you're working for free during your lunch break, more fool you. If you're getting paid for your lunch-break, then what's the problem? Either way, keep that issue separate from your annual leave calculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

If you are getting paid for your lunch break, then I'm guessing the problem is that it takes you over your 15 limit per week. You need to sort that. An acquaintance had similar issues and are now having to back pay a percentage of her CA, due to her not realising she was working 18 to 20 hours per week (I know, I know - how would you not know?) She was told they checked and then worked it out due to her employers contributions. She hasn't lost her CA, but her overpayment is going back 2 years.

(If you're not getting paid for your lunch break, I would really, really advise you stop that. It's very easy for people to take advantage of a good nature - even if they don't mean to)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

I work part time but do what we call sleep overs.

I work my 1st of 2 day shifts, 09.00 to 23.00, 14 hours and then sleep in work on call sort of, if I'm needed I get up and help out the night staff.

I then work the next day, the 2nd shift 07.00 to 21.00. I understand I get a % of hours worked.

My questions is, do I get a % of the 28 hours I'm paid and hourly rate for or a % of the 36 hours I spend in the care home?

I only work one of these sleep overs a week, so the difference between a % of 28 hours or 36 hours would be large enough over the year.

The difference would be, based on the 36 hours I'd get 18.72 days, and based on the 28 hours I'd get 14.56 days a year off.

Advertisement