Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Router for Siro

• 14-03-2019 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hey guys,

I got Siro installed with Vodafone. The Gigabox is a piece of ****. It constantly drops devices link ring doorbells and wemo plugs off the network, and requires a reboot. I do however get a nice 450/500mb speed on 5ghz wifi on it.

I'm looking to totally get rid of the Gigabox and connect directly to the ONT.

What router would you suggest, that would give me a good 5ghz speed like the Gigabox.

I've used Mikrotik in the past, however it's configuration can be a bit intense and I find it hard to get wifi working to it's full potential.

Thanks!
    Dara
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The Fritz!Box routers, that other SIRO providers use (at least Airwire, Carnsore Broadband, Digiweb and Westnet) gives you that sort of speeds on 5GHz .. and is a far better router.

Airwire also sell these to non-customers.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,592 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

You can pick the fritz box up on amazon too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

It's home broadband, so any soho grade router with Gigabit Ethernet ports will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

It's home broadband, so any soho grade router with Gigabit Ethernet ports will do.

Not really. It has to be capable of vlan tagging the wan interface. And that's not something every router can.

Also: Gbit/s interfaces does not mean, that the router can process Gbit/s throughput. Take Virgin Medias router. The Cisco one. It'll barely do the 360 Mbit/s .... can't handle the 500 Mbit/s. But it has Gbit/s interfaces.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Marlow wrote: »
    Not really. It has to be capable of vlan tagging the wan interface. And that's not something every router can.

Also: Gbit/s interfaces does not mean, that the router can process Gbit/s throughput. Take Virgin Medias router. The Cisco one. It'll barely do the 360 Mbit/s .... can't handle the 500 Mbit/s. But it has Gbit/s interfaces.

/M

Right so you need a cisco 2911 then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 dg92

Ended up going with an Archer C7. Working perfect - thanks for the recommendations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

dg92 wrote: »
    Ended up going with an Archer C7. Working perfect - thanks for the recommendations.
    is this
    the one you got?

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    is this
    the one you got?

Yep it is. Ended up going to Currys to grab it as the amazon ones are version 1 of the router, and it doesn’t support vlan tagging. Curry’s has version 4/5. It’s working perfect.

Yep it is. Ended up going to Currys to grab it as the amazon ones are version 1 of the router, and it doesn’t support vlan tagging. Curry’s has version 4/5. It’s working perfect.
    Thanks.
    Is it just a matter of switching the boxes and putting the voda
    User Name: vodafone@vodafone.ie Password: broadband into the c7?

Also is this router good for a lot of devices in the house, 3 pc's, 7 smartphones, 2 playstations, 1 xbox, 2 ring devices, smart lights, plugs, thermostat?
    Or would I need something better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,327 ✭✭✭CoBo55

What wireless speeds are you getting?

• Advertisement

Thanks.
    Is it just a matter of switching the boxes and putting the voda
    User Name: vodafone@vodafone.ie Password: broadband into the c7?

Also is this router good for a lot of devices in the house, 3 pc's, 7 smartphones, 2 playstations, 1 xbox, 2 ring devices, smart lights, plugs, thermostat?
    Or would I need something better.

No worries. The username is yourgigaboxserialnumber@vfieftth.ie and the password is broadband. You then need to go into the IPTV menu, click advanced and set the vlan id to 10. It connects near enough straight away then.

I have about the same amount of devices connected and it works perfect!

CoBo55 wrote: »
    What wireless speeds are you getting?

Right beside it on 5ghz i'm getting 500mb. Plugged in it's getting 1.2gb on Speedtest.net

No worries. The username is yourgigaboxserialnumber@vfieftth.ie and the password is broadband. You then need to go into the IPTV menu, click advanced and set the vlan id to 10. It connects near enough straight away then.

I have about the same amount of devices connected and it works perfect!
    Thanks for that. Heading down to curry's now.

Do I still need the Vodafone box. Or does this replace it.

Do I still need the Vodafone box. Or does this replace it.

That replaces it.

Using this for 6 weeks now, it is unbelievable, the difference is night and day.
    Smart home devices work constantly now, sky mini boxes are flawless, wifi perfect. Haven't had to reboot the router once.
    Why do vodafone provide such a dog sh1t device with a top quality service, the mind boggles...:confused::confused:

Using this for 6 weeks now, it is unbelievable, the difference is night and day.
    Smart home devices work constantly now, sky mini boxes are flawless, wifi perfect. Haven't had to reboot the router once.
    Why do vodafone provide such a dog sh1t device with a top quality service, the mind boggles...:confused::confused:

I’m super happy with it also! Highly recommend to anyone who wants to get rid of the Vodafone gigabox. Most useless router ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Sup08

Hi Lads
    Would this router do the same?
    replace the gigbox. Not sure about Vlan tagging and how that works

Thanks
    EXO AC2600 MU‑MIMO Wi‑Fi Router

Nope, it would not replace the Gigabox. It's just a router rather than a modem.
    Sup08 wrote: »
    Hi Lads
    Would this router do the same?
    replace the gigbox. Not sure about Vlan tagging and how that works

Thanks
    EXO AC2600 MU‑MIMO Wi‑Fi Router

Thanks but isn't the Archer C7 just a router as well?

What would be the difference with the one I suggested. It has VLAN ID for internet and login details.

• Advertisement

Nope, The Archer C7 is a modem also.

If you take a look at the answer section on Amazon, you'll see someone asked and the answer was that it is just a router and not a Modem.
    Thanks but isn't the Archer C7 just a router as well?

What would be the difference with the one I suggested. It has VLAN ID for internet and login details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭dam099

You don’t need a modem on Siro, you can connect a router straight to the ONT. It will need to support VLAN tagging and if you get phone from Vodafone too it won’t work (and possibly their TV service too).

You don’t need a modem on Siro, you can connect a router straight to the ONT. It will need to support VLAN tagging and if you get phone from Vodafone too it won’t work (and possibly their TV service too).

Thanks, I think it does
    Says it has triple play VLAN.

From the website
    Triple Play VLAN allows support for ISPs who offer a multi-service plan. Services such as Internet, voice (VoIP), and video (IPTV) can connect with a single WAN connection and you can then separate each channel to a specific port. For example, you can set all VoIP traffic to port 4 on the router and then connect any VoIP devices to that port.
    Step 5: Click either VLAN Settings or Status to Enable.

Step 6: Enter the VLAN ID (supplied by your ISP) for each service. You can enable Priority ID and select from the drop-down for each service. Under Interface Traffic Type Settings, assign a service to a LAN port on the router. Click Save.

I don't have a phone or their tv service

Well got it delivered this morning and working perfect. Just get the right settings for best wireless speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Nope, The Archer C7 is a modem also.

If you take a look at the answer section on Amazon, you'll see someone asked and the answer was that it is just a router and not a Modem.

What modulation-demodulaion is it doing and why would it need to for SIRO?
    Isn't it the job of the ONT to do this work for FTTH?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭evostik

Is the Archer C7 still the best alternative to the Vodafone Gigabox?

Will all services (phone, tv & broadband) work with this router?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

I successfully replaced my Gigabox router with a ubiquiti edgerouter x. Network inside the house is a lot more stable now. My wireless is now done with TP-LINK EAP225v3s which are spread out around the house.

I had to manually enable HWNAT offloading on the edgerouter to get full gigabit speed but it's working well.

WAN+2LAN2 from wizard.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dukelamonty

Hi Folks,
    Curry's currently advertise the Archer C7 online at this link: https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/network-routers-and-switches/routers/tp-link-archer-c7-wireless-cable-router-ac-1750-dual-band-21472770-pdt.html
    I can't see anything to indicate that it's version 4 or 5 as opposed to an older version that may not work. Would anyone know from appearance or any of the limited list of specs provided on the Curry's listing? I do note that it is reduced in price relative to the price in Sept-Oct-Nov last year which makes me worried it may be older versions from older stock.
    I've emailed Curry's support but in the current lockdown I'm not over-optimistic of a prompt, well-informed reply ... if any reply at all.
    - PeterG.

Hi Folks,
    Curry's currently advertise the Archer C7 online at this link: https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/network-routers-and-switches/routers/tp-link-archer-c7-wireless-cable-router-ac-1750-dual-band-21472770-pdt.html
    I can't see anything to indicate that it's version 4 or 5 as opposed to an older version that may not work. Would anyone know from appearance or any of the limited list of specs provided on the Curry's listing? I do note that it is reduced in price relative to the price in Sept-Oct-Nov last year which makes me worried it may be older versions from older stock.
    I've emailed Curry's support but in the current lockdown I'm not over-optimistic of a prompt, well-informed reply ... if any reply at all.
    - PeterG.

Just get the C8 I've a C8 on VM with the VM router in modem mode, it's a fantastic router, never had a bother with it. You won't need to use your ISP supplied router you can just use it on its own.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Do you use the C8 with Siro. From the discussions above, there seems to be a requirement to support VLANs in order for Siro to work.
    Regards,
    PeterG.

Thanks. Do you use the C8 with Siro. From the discussions above, there seems to be a requirement to support VLANs in order for Siro to work.
    Regards,
    PeterG.

I'm using it with VM at the moment, siro not in my area yet I'm waiting patiently it's due to be available in June. Yes the C8 does support vLan tagging, I haven't had to use it yet but I'm sure there are guides available.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I'm using it with VM at the moment, siro not in my area yet I'm waiting patiently it's due to be available in June. Yes the C8 does support vLan tagging, I haven't had to use it yet but I'm sure there are guides available.

Great. Thanks for taking the time to comment and subsequently reply. Much appreciated. -PeterG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

I'm on Vodafone Siro and having non-stop problems , dropping devices , needing rebooting etc ..
    I'm going to replace with the Archer router.
    Just wondering as I've always had wifi issues upstairs ( I've been told that's due to the underfloor insulation ) would it be possible to use two routers , one downstairs where the Siro comes into the house , and another one upstairs ?
    I already have a Cat 5 cable running up to little Tommys XBox up there .
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

I'm on Vodafone Siro and having non-stop problems , dropping devices , needing rebooting etc ..
    I'm going to replace with the Archer router.
    Just wondering as I've always had wifi issues upstairs ( I've been told that's due to the underfloor insulation ) would it be possible to use two routers , one downstairs where the Siro comes into the house , and another one upstairs ?
    I already have a Cat 5 cable running up to little Tommys XBox up there .
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated .

Yes you can. Router downstairs and an access point plugged into the cable upstairs.

I’d wait and see what coverage is like with the Archer. I Use a ubiquity WAP for WiFi instead of the Vodafone one and coverage is way better and much more reliable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

heroics wrote: »
    Yes you can. Router downstairs and an access point plugged into the cable upstairs.

I’d wait and see what coverage is like with the Archer. I Use a ubiquity WAP for WiFi instead of the Vodafone one and coverage is way better and much more reliable

Thanks for that .
    Is it just a matter of connecting via Cat 5 cable ( Ethernet port to Ethernet port ) and plugging in ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Thanks for that .
    Is it just a matter of connecting via Cat 5 cable ( Ethernet port to Ethernet port ) and plugging in ?

Depending on the devices as to how much config there is. A WiFi mesh system with cable for the back haul could be an option. Some suggestions in this thread

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058072654/4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

My system is an Edgerouter with 2x TP Link EAP-225's. One is mounted in the middle of the house downstairs, the other on the landing upstairs. Both centralised so much better wifi connection everywhere.

I had tried using a second wifi router with my vodafone (a TP-Link Archer VR900) but for some reason it would never give out DHCP addresses over wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Roy Rogers

I'm looking for an addition/replacement for a Vodafone Gigabox on SIRO due to its abysmal wifi. Thanks to the useful discussion in this thread, I'm leaning towards replacing the box entirely with the TP-Link Archer C7.

An earlier post mentioned that the v1 model doesn't support VLAN tagging, which is required. Is there any way to tell from a site listing which version I'm looking at? (For reference, there's Komplett and Currys).

Additionally, is there any benefit (or drawback) to going with the AC2300 instead? It seems to get good reviews, though I'm not sure what the higher spec means in real use. I won't be putting the network under heavy load so I suspect the extra €30 would be wasted. But if there's a compelling reason (future-proofing, for example) I might be open to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,592 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Roy Rogers wrote: »
    I'm looking for an addition/replacement for a Vodafone Gigabox on SIRO due to its abysmal wifi. Thanks to the useful discussion in this thread, I'm leaning towards replacing the box entirely with the TP-Link Archer C7.

An earlier post mentioned that the v1 model doesn't support VLAN tagging, which is required. Is there any way to tell from a site listing which version I'm looking at? (For reference, there's Komplett and Currys).

Additionally, is there any benefit (or drawback) to going with the AC2300 instead? It seems to get good reviews, though I'm not sure what the higher spec means in real use. I won't be putting the network under heavy load so I suspect the extra €30 would be wasted. But if there's a compelling reason (future-proofing, for example) I might be open to it.

would you be better off using the gigabox for bringing the internet to the house and them a mesh system for the wifi element? wouldn't be a massive cost difference

Roy Rogers wrote: »

Get the C8 it's a brilliant router you don't have to worry about version number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Roy Rogers

TheDriver wrote: »
    would you be better off using the gigabox for bringing the internet to the house and them a mesh system for the wifi element? wouldn't be a massive cost difference

I started with that line of thought, to be honest, but €75 to simply replace the gigabox and not mess about with additional devices seemed simpler as well as cheaper. House is about 140 sq m so a big mesh system seemed like overkill if a good router would do the job. Would you recommend a mesh system instead?
    CoBo55 wrote:
    Get the C8 it's a brilliant router you don't have to worry about version number.

Fair point, but I didn't spot it stocked anywhere with a quick look! (Out of stock on Amazon and haven't looked anywhere else yet.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

The Archer C8 seems to be end of life. Anyone know what the latest equivalent model is?

The Archer C8 seems to be end of life. Anyone know what the latest equivalent model is?

C9? There's a C9 on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 John_McMahon

Hi Guys,
    I recently switched to Vodafone broadband, package deal 1gb siro broadband, tv and phone. The router from Vodafone has terrible wifi coverage so thought I would switch it out for a TP link mesh system. I have this plugged directly to ont and setup pppoe with vlan on the tplink which works great, coverage all over the house now. The issue I have is the TV no longer works or the phone. I don't care about the phone but is there anyway to get the tv working with this setup. I have a setting on the tplink that converts one of the ethernet ports to iptv but not sure if there are certain settings required to do this. Anybody know if this is possible and what the settings should be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭tonyfillony

Siro is being rolled out in my area currently so still a few months before i can get it . I currently have virgin media and they router the provided is awful . Im currently looking at the Archer A7 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Archer-A7-Wireless-Combined-Supports/dp/B00416PTDW/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Archer%2BA7&qid=1589897243&s=computers&sr=1-1&th=1 . I plan to bridge my Virgin box once i get this but im wondering does this router support Vlan tagging so that i wont need the vodafone gigabox once im able to get Siro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭tonyfillony

Siro is being rolled out in my area currently so still a few months before i can get it . I currently have virgin media and they router the provided is awful . Im currently looking at the Archer A7 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Archer-A7-Wireless-Combined-Supports/dp/B00416PTDW/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Archer%2BA7&qid=1589897243&s=computers&sr=1-1&th=1 . I plan to bridge my Virgin box once i get this but im wondering does this router support Vlan tagging so that i wont need the vodafone gigabox once im able to get Siro?

Nevermind , A7 is the C7 but is an amazon exclusive that has Alexa integration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I have a DSL-AC68U for a few years would that be suitable for FTTH?

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭jonny_b

Hey guys is this still the best priced router to switch the gigabox with? I have Vodafone TV but no big deal if it doesn't work on it as I've used it twice in the last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭aristotle25

Would this router, linked below, replace a Vodafone Gigabox Router that comes with SIRO? I am looking to get more stability on my wifi as I have one device that has issues keeping a good connection.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-ax90/v1/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭aristotle25

Going to answer my own question here, I bought that tplink ax6600 router and got it working with vodafone fibre (siro).

There are a few settings you need to change on the router, mainly...

• change internet connection type to PPPoE
    • enter a username of serialNumber@vfieftth.ie where serialNumber is the serial number on the back of your Vodafone Router
    • password of broadband
    • enable IPTV/VLAN and choose "custom" option
    • enter Internet vlan ID of 10
    • it needs a vlan ID for VOIP and IPTV as well, I just entered a 2 and a 3 there, dont know what they should be but I dont have VOIP or IPTV from vodafone so guess it doesnt matter
    • enable the 802.1Q Tag
    • I enabled OFDMA, TWT on the wireless options

And then it all worked, I named by wifi network the same as the old one and the same password and all clients connected ok. Job done.

Post edited by aristotle25 on

• Advertisement
Advertisement