Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple ball ettiquete

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

First Up wrote:
    Every player on the course - especially in a competition - is expected to play at a reasonable pace. Hitting two or three balls is contrary to that.

The OP did not state explicitly that the solo in front was the cause of the hold up. I presume he drove three or four balls off the tee and then what? Did he then play each of those balls from where they landed or only the best placed one or two? Did he appear to be a good player rather than a hacker?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

chicorytip wrote:
    The OP did not state explicitly that the solo in front was the cause of the hold up. I presume he drove three or four balls off the tee and then what? Did he then play each of those balls from where they landed or only the best placed one or two? Did he appear to be a good player rather than a hacker?

It doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

First Up wrote:
    Fair enough but at a minimum it was poor behaviour by the solo player and doesn't reflect well on the club's standards.

First Up wrote:
    He should have let you through or moved out of your way; you probably couldn't insist but you shouldn't have to.

Is this an explicit rule of the game or just regarded as proper behaviour?

chicorytip wrote:
    Is this an explicit rule of the game or just regarded as proper behaviour?

There is some scope for interpretation on that. It used to be very explicit - a single had no standing - but the most recent version omits that phrase in favour of saying a single can constitute a group. It does not however say anything about the single just practicing and infers they are playing a "proper" round.

But that isn't really the point; a single hitting multiple shots with others waiting to play is inconsiderate and discourteous and that should be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

I'm a bit biased here because most of the golf I play is unfortunatly solo (for family reasons). if I'm caught behind a group I'll sometimes play 2 or 3 balls so as to use the time BUT will at all times keep pace.

I don't see the issue here, presuming the single was himself held up by the group in front. surely if he let the 4 ball through then they would have been stuck at the next hole?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

'Single player has no standing' has been done away with some time ago, but I feel once I start playing more than 1 ball I'm entering a grey area.

Logically as long as I keep up with the group ahead I can play any number of balls and I'm not actually holding the group behind me up. But I doubt many people behind me would see it that way. They are in for a slow round already and now they're looking every hole at a solo golfer hitting 2 or 3 balls. I just couldn't practice comfortably under their glares. I'd let them through or go a hole back or so.

Ryder wrote:
    I don't see the issue here, presuming the single was himself held up by the group in front. surely if he let the 4 ball through then they would have been stuck at the next hole?

They might be let play through.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

The biggest issue I have with multiple ball play is damage to the course.

If you are in the habit of multiple ball play you can slip into poor course repair habits.

I've watched these lads and seen multiple shots from one location with damage.

It actually takes a bit of time to repair course properly. And you simply can't repair an area that has been practiced from on course.

I play a good bit alone and a bit of art/sense to staying out of way and routing your round.

I play the odd 2nd ball and if I'm getting too close to group in front I'll putt till a gap is restablished or change route. I'll have to put hands up and say the putting green is not practice area either.

I wouldn't report someone for anything . Only thing that pisses me off is slow play and course damage.

A good few people actually hate single players . Its a bit bizarre. One I came across is a multiple ball hitting lunatic. Drop bang . Drop bang . No sandbag or repairing ground.

A big problem between golfing parties is the failure to communicate . There will be bitching and moaning. When communication happens . It tends to be at the point of over agression and smart comments.

Golf seems to attract very frustrated angry men.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

No issue with playing more than one ball but not if that is delaying anyone behind, even if the solo is gong to have to wait in the next tee you can't delay anyone behind you.

From the OP it seems he was delaying others so shouldn't have played multiple balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

I'm all for solo golf and multiple balls within reason, but crazy that this guy was doing it while people were waiting. Maybe if it was two quick balls and he was an efficient player, but it sounds like more.

Totally disagree with those defending him saying the 4 balls were setting the pace anyway, and once he keeps up with them he's not in the wrong. It's like saying, on a slow day, you can practice your putting on every green rather than waiting on the next tee - even if there's guys behind you waiting to hit in from the fairway! You don't delay - you finish out and go and wait on the back of the next tee.

The reality it its highly, highly unlikely there wasn't another part of the course available that the guy on his own couldn't have cut over to at some stage and played away. That's what I do all the time. When you are by yourself, you are much more flexible and mobile, so it makes sense to just stay away from groups playing a full round 1 to 18.

The telling thing for me is there's no way he was enjoying his day - behind larger slower groups and in front of two lads miffed at him for holding them up. He definitely knew he was being a d*ck, or kept doing what he was doing out of some sort of misguided principle. Not on.

• Advertisement

Yes they may be waiting for the single guy on every single hole. Watch him hitting shots into the green while the four-ball has moved on. But unless the 4ball ahead actually gets away from them it makes no difference.
    The 4ball is setting the pace and even if the lone guy lets them through they’ll be waiting just as long only behind someone else.
    Their round will take the exact same time.

Yes they may be waiting for the single guy on every single hole. Watch him hitting shots into the green while the four-ball has moved on. But unless the 4ball ahead actually gets away from them it makes no difference. The 4ball is setting the pace and even if the lone guy lets them through they’ll be waiting just as long only behind someone else. Their round will take the exact same time.

For all we know, the fourball in front of the solo could have lost two holes on the people ahead of them. In that case, the OP's group could have been called through and made up a lot of time.

It was NOT the solo's place to dictate the pace of play. He was way out of order on several fronts. I don't know if anyone from Blainroe is reading this but if they are, someone deserves a severe talking to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

if the guy kept up with the group ahead then what's the issue,the 4ball are setting the pace. Whether he was there or not the round would have taken the same time. This just seems to be another case of people getting annoyed over nothing.

If he was offered to play through and didn't then that's another case. If they didn't offer to the guy on his own why would they have offered to the 4ball behind him.

First Up wrote: »
    For all we know, the fourball in front of the solo could have lost two holes on the people ahead of them. In that case, the OP's group could have been called through and made up a lot of time.

It was NOT the solo's place to dictate the pace of play. He was way out of order on several fronts. I don't know if anyone from Blainroe is reading this but if they are, someone deserves a severe talking to.

A formal inquiry need to be launched IMMEDIATELY!

if the guy kept up with the group ahead then what's the issue,the 4ball are setting the pace. Whether he was there or not the round would have taken the same time. This just seems to be another case of people getting annoyed over nothing.
    We don't know if there were holes open in front of the fourball. It may have suited the solo to stay where he was but the OP's group wanted to play quicker. They were not given the opportunity because of the solo.
    If he was offered to play through and didn't then that's another case. If they didn't offer to the guy on his own why would they have offered to the 4ball behind him.

You don't need to be invited. You ask.

We don't know if there were holes open in front of the fourball. It may have suited the solo to stay where he was but the OP's group wanted to play quicker. They were not given the opportunity because of the solo.

You don't need to be invited. You ask.

Exactly we don't know. Speculating and calling out a club when you don't know what was happening on the course at that time is bewildering.

Exactly we don't know. Speculating and calling out a club when you don't know what was happening on the course at that time is bewildering.

Not bewildering at all. Its about consideration for others. The solo showed none and such behaviour does not reflect well on the club.

Not bewildering at all. Its about consideration for others. The solo showed none and such behaviour does not reflect well on the club.

The OP has not provided enough information for you to come to your conclusion, you're just speculating.

With regards to him playing with headphones, that's not on. A few warning shots might make him take them off. :D

If he was playing 2 balls and not holding anyone up I personally don't see the issue.

The OP has not provided enough information for you to come to your conclusion, you're just speculating.

I'm not speculating about anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Board Boy

Hi Julio

As a member of Blainroe I’m sorry to hear about your experience last Saturday with that solo golfer playing multiple balls and wearing headphones. The club will investigate this - it was poor behaviour. In addition to causing unnecessary damage/ wear and tear to the course, there are etiquette and safety considerations that would be of concern. If you are happy to take a call from one of our Office staff on the matter, I will arrange that - just pm me.

I know your thread was a question about the etiquette of the solo golfers actions but I was glad to hear you say “the place was in excellent condition. The winds made some holes very tough but a great challenge. Some of the views on the course are breathtaking.”

We are actually very proud of the Blainroe golf offering and always looking for new members, new green fee guests and new or return Society golfers! Please do consider Blainroe when you get to that final decision on what club to join!

• Advertisement

I am not arguing in favour of the solo player. However irrational any complaints about the 2ball being delayed may be the solo player was breaching etiquette at the very least.
    New rule, old rule doesn't matter, as a solo player you're just not in a good spot in this situation. You have to get out of the way to avoid aggravation. Anyone with half a brain would know that.

This guy was setting the pace for everyone behind him, of everyone slows down to the slowest group then its a disaster.
    Immediately behind the group in front, not immediately in front of the group behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,015 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

GreeBo wrote: »
    This guy was setting the pace for everyone behind him, of everyone slows down to the slowest group then its a disaster.
    Immediately behind the group in front, not immediately in front of the group behind.
    Yeah. That's a good point. If he's standing on the tee box when the group in front are on the fairway, then he's at least putting a bit of pressure on them to speed up. If he's faffing about on the green behind them, then he's giving them the impression that they aren't holding anyone up.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kennethrhcp

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Yeah. That's a good point. If he's standing on the tee box when the group in front are on the fairway, then he's at least putting a bit of pressure on them to speed up. If he's faffing about on the green behind them, then he's giving them the impression that they aren't holding anyone up.

i'm not saying the 1ball was right... but the OP says a society of 4balls was out in front of the 1ball... putting pressure on them from the tee box wouldn't work imo. he's not being left through all the 4balls & no doubt they were just going at 4ball pace.

if it were me I'd have asked the 2ball behind if I could join them, at least wouldn't feel as slow then... but then again like most I wouldn't have head phones in & not thinking of the lads behind.

what I've learned in my short time playing... don't go on the time sheet after a society goes out.

[quote="GreeBo;1
    0672814"]This guy was setting the pace for everyone behind him, of everyone slows down to the slowest group then its a disaster.
    Immediately behind the group in front, not immediately in front of the group behind.[/quote]

Take you point on putting pressure on the group ahead to hurry up but in reality would it make a difference.

But its not for the single to decide that. If the OPs two ball was directly behind the fourballs, there is then at least the possibility that they would be let through by one or more groups. The single's actions removed that possibility.

And they may not all have been going at "4ball pace". Balls get lost etc and some society golfers prefer to let someone through rather than feel pressure from behind.

The single was bang out of order; at a minimum he could have talked to the OPs two ball and asked them what they wanted to do.

Anyway its good to see that someone from the club is doing something about it. I'm not saying they should suspend the culprit or anything - just a bit of guidance and advice.

Take you point on putting pressure on the group ahead to hurry up but in reality would it make a difference.

That's pretty much using the two wrongs approach to life.

Everyone has to do their bit

Advertisement