Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy house, don't pay mortgage, live rent-free for 9 years. MOD WARNING POST #268

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Cyrus wrote:
    All depends on the areas to be fair
    You wouldn’t say that if you lived near Killiney hill I wouldn’t have thought ?
    I'm talking about for an average middle earner or lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

eagle eye wrote: »
    I lived in Dublin, Boston , London and Galway for a few years each. I now live down the country on the outskirts of a town and I wouldn't give it up.
    If I had to go back to one of those places I'd choose Galway first, then Boston then London but I couldn't do Dublin again. The properties are just not nice, too small for the most part, too close together, very plain neighbourhoods with barely a plant to be seen in most areas. Terrible public transport system, very expensive, I just don't see the appeal.

Did you even read my post? the country is for you, fair play to you for finding your place.
    Its not for everyone, just as the city is not for everyone. Im glad your happy in the country, but can country folk stop p*ssing on people for choosing to and enjoying living in the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Do you see any downsides in picking a country home like you linked over a house in the city suburbs?

Actually, just to contradict the answer I put up a few days ago...

Yes, I can think of one downside after all.

In the countryside, we don't get free water and sewage services. :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

We don't in urban areas either.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

We don't in urban areas either.

Well you do. Yes people pay for it through general taxation but you aren't charged specifically for it, like those in the country are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

tbayers wrote: »
    Well you do. Yes people pay for it through general taxation but you aren't charged specifically for it, like those in the country are.

Don't forget bins! I could not believe when people starting giving out that they had to pay for bins, we always had to pay for water and bins here.

tbayers wrote: »

Contradicting yourself to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Contradicting yourself to be fair.

He's not, country people pay taxes just like everyone else and then on top pay for water and sewage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

He's not, country people pay taxes just like everyone else and then on top pay for water and sewage.

If you're off certain grids you're going to have to take a bit of pain and pay a little bit more for some services due to the nature of where you are!!

If you want to avail of existing infrastructure and amenities that are already in situ you can take some pain and pay more for a dwelling in an urban areas that already have the facilities.

It's your call, you made your choice, and if it's a one off in a rural setting you've a bigger environmental impact and a much much bigger carbon footprint, you're less likely to use public transport, you're probably car reliant, you're dispersed area is harder to police and service.... your postman uses a van instead of a bike etc... the list goes on...

General taxation covers our water charges etc in towns. It's well known and accepted that if you decide to live in the countryside it has extra over heads which is only right. This is a bit like anyone down a boreen wanting fibre broadband ran into their house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

So basically you have a clear bias towards country living.

fret_wimp2 wrote:
    Did you even read my post? the country is for you, fair play to you for finding your place. Its not for everyone, just as the city is not for everyone. Im glad your happy in the country, but can country folk stop p*ssing on people for choosing to and enjoying living in the city?
    I did read your post, did you read mine. My point was that Dublin is awful in comparison to the other cities I spent a good portion of time in. I said I could live in the other three again but I could never live in Dublin.

I did read your post, did you read mine. My point was that Dublin is awful in comparison to the other cities I spent a good portion of time in. I said I could live in the other three again but I could never live in Dublin.

Dublin is a big enough place. It really depends on the part of the city you are talking about. I spent time in dundalk. Its a kip for the most part. Doesn't mean the whole countryside is a kip though.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Feets

By 'downsizing' they probably mean relocating to a less salubrious area of Dublin! The downsizing would apply to their self-esteem!
    Is there any chance they will get a mortgage though? They will be renting all the way. Big black marks on their bank records.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Feets

Tacklebox wrote: »
    And if you're rubbing shoulders with celebs, attractive looking and have a lovely smile....

I know a few similar couples in Clare who are living it up and haven't paid any of their mortgages in years.

Still making money and going on holidays, new car's etc.

There's definitely something wrong somewhere.
    No way should they have gotten away with that.

I guarantee you, they'll get on with their lives and they'll not feel one bit of remorse, shame or guilt.

It's just another day for the middle classes, laughing at everyone else.

This will make that couple feel invincible now.

They'll be celebrating and cracking open the champers, and they'll land on their feet.....

Curious, are the banks after them? Do they admit to this way of life?

Feets wrote: »
    Is there any chance they will get a mortgage though? They will be renting all the way. Big black marks on their bank records.

They'll buy with the cash they saved.

Dublin is a big enough place. It really depends on the part of the city you are talking about. I spent time in dundalk. Its a kip for the most part. Doesn't mean the whole countryside is a kip though.
    The whole city centre and any area built up over the last thirty years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,866 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Dublin can be heaven and country/rural can be hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Pamela commenting on the joys of living in Clontarf. Doesn't mention anything about not paying mortgage. Oh how funny. Page 6
    https://www.owenreilly.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/The-Sunday-Times-190106-Property-Price-Guide-2019.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

lomb wrote: »
    Pamela commenting on the joys of living in Clontarf. Doesn't mention anything about not paying mortgage. Oh how funny. Page 6
    https://www.owenreilly.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/The-Sunday-Times-190106-Property-Price-Guide-2019.pdf

There must be something in the water in Clontarf. Between Pamela, Ivor Callely, and Joe Duffy not an ounce of shame or self-awareness between them.

• Advertisement

Dublin can be heaven and country/rural can be hell.
    I wasn't comparing Dublin to rural Ireland, I was comparing it to other cities.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement