Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ABL 16A

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

unkel wrote: »
    No. A priority switch is needed if you have more than one heavy electricity using device and that if they are both switched on at the same time, your main ESB fuse would blow

A 7.2kW car charger + a 10kW electric shower = over 17kW plus your backgroud load of your house so well over 17kW in total, which is more than a 12kVa standard connection (~15kW) can handle.

Cool. The biggest draw other than the car would be the oven so I should be fine then.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Actually I put in a priority switch because I installed a 7.2wall charger but my leaf is only 3.3, I wonder can I turn the priority off because at 3.3 there should be no issue if ran with electric shower on

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,792 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Why switch it off? You might as well keep it. If you use your shower (10kW) and your car is charging (3.3kW) and the oven is on (3kW), should someone put the kettle on (3kW) your ESB fuse will pop.

If you want to get rid of anything, get rid of your electric shower ;)

samih wrote: »
    If you send me a pm with your email address I'll forward you the instructions. You'll also need to buy usb to serial adaptor from ebay for a few quid.

USB to RS485

Cheers man.
    Got PM.

unkel wrote: »
    What?

The ABL charge point, it cause a lot of radio frequency interference which is in breech of regulations, in fact a lot of stuff today is including led lights, phone chargers etc. Regulations need to tighten up.

It interferes with my online SDR's and I hope to soon become an Amateur Radio operator and I need an electrical quiet environment so the ABL has to go.

I got other issues such as a dodgy electricity pole somewhere I need to chase down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The US phone plugs are the same as ours, my bro got a wireless set for his house back in the day, had it for years, a UPC/whatever they were called before UPC was called out once with some issue he had, the UPC guy said he's always in the area because all the customers around were complaining of brutal WiFi and as the bro was not using WiFi in his house he had no issue.
    UPC guy saw the wireless phones, asked where they came from and it turns out they were messing up all the neighbours WiFi for years unbeknown to the bro, he binned them straight away and their WiFi issue went away....
    Interference indeed

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

kceire wrote: »
    Why do you need a priority switch?
    If you have no electric shower, would it still be required?

yes I have an electric shower(and 2 teenagers..)

The ABL charge point, it cause a lot of radio frequency interference which is in breech of regulations, in fact a lot of stuff today is including led lights, phone chargers etc. Regulations need to tighten up.

It interferes with my online SDR's and I hope to soon become an Amateur Radio operator and I need an electrical quiet environment so the ABL has to go.

I got other issues such as a dodgy electricity pole somewhere I need to chase down.

Could the ABL unit interfere with WiFi signal?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,792 ✭✭✭✭unkel

It interferes with my online SDR's

You didn't re-program it, yet you know for a fact that re-programming would make it interfere with your other equipment? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Trojan00

Sorry for dragging up an old post........can someone please share whats needed to upgrade a 16A ABL charger to 32A please?

I have it installed since 2015 for my gen 1 leaf. I have added a gen 2 leaf recently which charges at 6kw. I have attached a picture of my RCBO which looks like its 20A. I assume I need to upgrade that and possibly the cable.

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

Fuse as shown, cable to charger and settings on charger. You also need to be sure you don't have any heavy loads in the house like a triton instant shower or heat pump. Get an electrician to replace fuse and wiring. An exact photo of the charger would help determine which model.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Trojan00

This is my ABL charger. I got it when ESB were giving free chargers back in 2015.

What cable do I need? Is there software that's needed on laptop or is it a terminal connection to the charger to enter commands?

You need to upgrade the RCBO in the fuse board to a 40a or 32a one

You need to replace the wit-ring from that RCBO to the charge point with 6mm Square cable .

you then need to flash the charger to change the settings to 32a.

tou also need to make sure the 32a won’t constantly trip so make sure you have no other high draw items such as electric showers, heat pumps etc etc

send me your email address and I’ll give you access to the files, software and list of tools you need from my Dropbox

There is laptop software, a hardware interface needed the change the setting, but before you do this you need breaker in fuse board and wiring from fuse board to charger upgraded to heavier cable. As said you need to check other things such as heavy loads such as triton shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Airman2

Hi Gumbo , I have just acquired an ABL charger supposedly pushing out 3.6 Kw but it is pushing out 6.6 so a little bit worried Ree the effect on house electrics. I would like to reduce output a bit?? Can you help? I am not sure how to PM so info would also help for that. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭sh81722

I'm not Gumbo but I have the utility and the instructions at dropbox. PM'd you the link. Are you sure you want to downgrade it as they support 7.4 kW (32A) as standard just the ecars at the time set them to 16A? If your cabling is 6 mm^2 and have a correct RCBO (40A) installed there is no reason to downgrade it.

Thank you, not really sure about downgrade!! I have correct RCBO and 6mm cable recently installed. I have been told that my tails on my newly installed smart meter are not heavy enough!!!.

can you dial the amps down in the car settings?

Not that I am aware of. Thanks for reply. I received a link from sh81722 which may help.

You need hardware interface in addition to software. It would be much easier in car if you can. What car? You can sometimes get tails upgraded fairly easily depending on location of fuse board.

• Advertisement

Thanks for info, MG4, unfortunately no easy upgrade of tails as ESB networks won’t do that until house survey for electrics completed. One sparks says house needs to be rewired!!

Advertisement