Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

C3PO wrote: »
    You really seem to have a major issue with Greystones?

I don't like what it represents, true enough.

I've a sister living up there who was in the property game. She loathed the avarice she saw in folk when say, a period villa, would come up on Church Road. "They're literally clambering over each other and would kill to get their hands on it"

It wasn't someone trying to put a roof over their head or get a convenient location and a nice address (even though a church road villa would be convenient and a nice address).

It was the clamber for best-est address, the status, to view as as if a lotto win, being close to in-trends such as the Happy Pear. It was the sheer vacuity of it all that made her puke.

As it happens, I had the opportunity to buy a Church Road villa, (off market and heavily discounted I might add!) maybe 8 years ago. I was familiar enough with Greystones in a drive by sense or going for a pint with my sis. Myself and my wife took a look and the house and wandered around Greystones on foot. After about 20 minutes we stopped and looked at each other and had a SNAP moment

"Nah .. it's way to far up it's own ass for us"

seasidedub wrote: »
    .I get it. I'm from a similar village in North Dublin which is overpriced, overcrowded and up it's own bum.

That's probably the difference between us. I wouldn't live in a place where folk are up their bums. There's a danger I could be infected :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

IMO it would be misrepresenting Greystones greatly to characterise it solely as pretentious.

There is an element of that - I have actually witnessed someone complaining that the prices of flooring in Breretons were too low, like she was inviting a negative discount to make her feel better about the acquisition.

But that doesn't reflect the vast bulk of people that live in the area. Sure, it's solidly middle class (if that's even a thing any more) but judging by the posts on the Greystones Open Forum on FB there is a good social mix in the wider area which Greystones services, much more so than somewhere like Dalkey.

The price of property is high for Wicklow but much lower than equivalent stuff in south Dublin, and the zoning is different. You can get a decent house on an acre of land less than ten minutes drive from Greystones for well under a million. In that respect it's more like Dublin 18, but with more of a sense of place and without all the white pylons. Culturally it sits with one foot in outer south Dublin, and one foot in what I think of as proper Wicklow.

And this is what the agents try to sell you - "lifestyle". I want a piece of the same pie....

"Lifestyle" is like a pack of frozen beefburgers. It might say "Prime (means nothing) Irish (it's from Ireland) Beef" (everything between the lips and arsehole) on the glossy packaging.

You would think that folk would be more interested in the contents.

Lumen wrote: »
    IMO it would be misrepresenting Greystones greatly to characterise it solely as pretentious.

Agreed. It's folk who consider being within walking of a skinny latte and the Happy Pear key selling points that I was thinking of.

The village has "pivoted" to meet the demands and attract in .. such folk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭seasidedub

I can't stand the happy pear.

I was only there once. Thought it was a "healthy" cafe. Ordered a smoked salmon sandwich. That's what the menu said. It was thin strips of smoked carrot on white (sorry, sourdough) bread. I honestly had no idea it was a vegan place.

Honestly lads, I just want to swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Irish begrudgery in full swing I see, don't you just hate when a couple of young, healthy guys set up a popular local business employing local people and using local produce. Then they do well out if it, and seem to enjoy what they do. The bastards, who would wish that on themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

Irish begrudgery in full swing I see, don't you just hate when a couple of young, healthy guys set up a popular local business employing local people and using local produce. Then they do well out if it, and seem to enjoy what they do. The bastards, who would wish that on themselves?

Apart from having to queue, what's not to like about the place? Great coffee, love their "seedy cookies", relaxed atmosphere and warm and comfortable upstairs at the front! Always take a detour for a coffee break when I'm out for a spin!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭seasidedub

So just in terms of myself - I'm not a vegan and thought 7e for a slice of bread with strips of carrot aka vegan smoked salmon was a bit steep. I'd hate to think of myself as a typical Irish begrudger. I wish them well, and as pointed out, it's great to see a thriving local business. I must try the coffee as everyone says it's great.

I was kind of responding to the idea that all the blow ins to Greystones have ruined it and are all right-on, vegan social justice (but not near my 700k house) warriors.

My deal as I said is that I live across from the sea, can't afford the huge reno the house needs but could flog and afford MV. So nothing g against happy pear, I love Spendloves, good coffee, free papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I must try the coffee as everyone says it's great.
    Go across the road to the Italian guy. He's as rude as feck, and he's on the shadier side of the street, but he's the real McCoy serving proper Italian coffee and delissimo cuisine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

recedite wrote: »
    Go across the road to the Italian guy. He's as rude as feck, and he's on the shadier side of the street, but he's the real McCoy serving proper Italian coffee and delissimo cuisine.

Coffee and cakes are great but the breakfast is 1980s basic. He is hilariously rude though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Plasmoid

Lumen wrote: »
    Coffee and cakes are great but the breakfast is 1980s basic. He is hilariously rude though. :D

Seconded on the hilariously rude, in the way people sometimes complain about Italy and Paris when used to a more American style of super high tip seeking service style.

I quite enjoy it, saves a trip away to get the same experience!

Advertisement